Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco C
Australia
Meadowbank
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia just voted in favour of marriage equality, with a 61.6% YES vote!!! The people have spoken, and same-sex marriage will become legal by Christmas. This is wonderful for our country, and I just wanted to celebrate on here with all you lovely people. Haters, please refrain from any ugliness. This is a time to just let us have our moment LOVE HAS PREVAILED heartheartheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's awesome! Congratulations, Australia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Interesting that many didn't want a vote of the general public, because they feared losing. Glad people proved themselves better.

Well, at least 61.6% did. Kind of a bummer that so many voted note.

But enough of me being a downer. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
birdsong703 wrote:
The people have spoken, and same-sex marriage will become legal by Christmas.

I thought this was basically just a non-binding survey, how is it now becoming legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco C
Australia
Meadowbank
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:
birdsong703 wrote:
The people have spoken, and same-sex marriage will become legal by Christmas.

I thought this was basically just a non-binding survey, how is it now becoming legal?

It was non-binding, but there's a bill ready to go, and Prime Minister Turnbull has announced he will pass it through the parliament by Christmas. Turnbull himself is pro-marriage equality, but he went the stupid postal survey route to appease the far right of his party. The LGBTIQ community didn't want it that way, since there were already the numbers in the parliament to pass it into law without spending $126 million on a pseudo-referendum, but we put everything into the YES campaign anyway, and now the momentum is unstoppable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happily voted Yes, and am very happy with the result. Now the Government has to show some spine and follow through on it’s promise without giving in to the right-wing loonies of its party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good on ya, mate! [said in my best Australian accent]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is good to see. Screw Tony Abbott.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the question went far enough.

As same-sex marriage is about expressing love, surely this should have been extended to same-sex sibling marriage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

As same-sex marriage is about expressing love, surely this should have been extended to same-sex sibling marriage?

/yawn. It's not like we never heard that stuff before. You forgot hamsters.

Well done, Aussies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

Hey, we can dream! Vote Lannister in 2018!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco C
Australia
Meadowbank
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* The bigots are out of the closet, and already comparing homosexuality to incest and bestiality. All I can say is go back to the 20th century, and let us get on with the 21st.

LOVE WINS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Yeah, this is good to see. Screw Tony Abbott.

Abbot's electorate voted 75% in favour of same-sex marriage. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

David, if that's what you're into, I'm not going to judge. Port Macquarie is a bit different to Sydney, but I'm going to celebrate your marriage to your brother. When's the big day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

d10-7d10-2d10-9d10-5d10-3d10-6

Very proud of my hometown of Canberra, highest yes result of any state (and one of the highest turnouts too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally some good news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
birdsong703 wrote:
Australia just voted in favour of marriage equality, with a 61.6% YES vote!!! The people have spoken, and same-sex marriage will become legal by Christmas. This is wonderful for our country, and I just wanted to celebrate on here with all you lovely people. Haters, please refrain from any ugliness. This is a time to just let us have our moment LOVE HAS PREVAILED heartheartheart

This is just fucking refreshing. The world has been sprinting backwards the past couple years and it's nice to see a step forward. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
da pyrate wrote:

I thought that was the christian right in Alabama but they marry their sister who happens to be their mother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am very happy that Australia now also has equal marriage rights.

What still remains very sad about this whole affair though is that there are still so-called democracies who believe that human rights are something to be voted about. Human rights should never ever be put to the vote. As soon as it becomes clear in a society that a certain group has less rights then another group, this group will be granted those rights in a democracy. If you vote on human rights in your country, then your country is not a true democracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Fascinating results.

An entirely voluntary poll that saw responses from a full 80% of electors.

And of course the basic question was interestingly worded too; not simply "should same sex marriage be permitted / legal / whatever?" but "should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?"

The ABS has released some basic statistical results, but notably not the one I'm most interested in - response (yes/no) by age. There was a fair bit of talk about a population divide by age (basically presented as the young and trendy being for, and the old and conservative being against). I'd like to see if that was the case (I suspect it wasn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
I am very happy that Australia now also has equal marriage rights.

Not quite yet. It still has to get through Parliament. It will (in some form or another) - estimates are now that around 75% of MPs are in favour or will follow the national vote, but there will be bickering and pontificating about the actual form of the legislation (the whole 'gay wedding cake' thing is about to play our here again!).

It should be legislated by Christmas, at least, that's what the PM and senior government figures have promised.

mag74b wrote:

What still remains very sad about this whole affair though is that there are still so-called democracies who believe that human rights are something to be voted about. Human rights should never ever be put to the vote. As soon as it becomes clear in a society that a certain group has less rights then another group, this group will be granted those rights in a democracy. If you vote on human rights in your country, then your country is not a true democracy.

Couldn't agree more here. That's why most of the 'yes' campaigners were opposed to the vote - not because they thought they would lose (polls have been showing this level of support for yes for years), but because of the principle, the hurt and mental distress caused to so many LGBTI Australians having their rights debated and voted on by other people, and the fact that it is completely unnecessary - it's within the power of Parliament under the constitution to change the law without a national vote.

JasonJ0 wrote:

The ABS has released some basic statistical results, but notably not the one I'm most interested in - response (yes/no) by age. There was a fair bit of talk about a population divide by age (basically presented as the young and trendy being for, and the old and conservative being against). I'd like to see if that was the case (I suspect it wasn't).

They haven't recorded demographic information against 'yes/no', just participation, so that breakdown will never be known. They said that they separated the barcode (which identified the respondent) from the yes/no part of the form as the first part of the processing, so they couldn't link it in that way - on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
bigfluffylemon wrote:
They haven't recorded demographic information against 'yes/no', just participation, so that breakdown will never be known. They said that they separated the barcode (which identified the respondent) from the yes/no part of the form as the first part of the processing, so they couldn't link it in that way - on purpose.

Then how did they retain the link to electorate for yes/no stats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The parliament has to approve the change - I worry that will be ugly.

There's at least one bill festering in the nether parts of the "Christian" conservative bloc which is supposed to "protect freedom of belief": by permitting people to refuse goods and services to single sex marriages. "Oh no, I won't drive your limo because..."

Phobic f-

shake

The important thing right now is to look after anyone who has been harmed by the bile produced by the "No" campaign.

And plan the party for when it goes through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the point of the non-binding postal vote to be an expensive gamble exactly this would happen. It undercuts the ability of those opposed to act against the measure which is now promised. It was potentially a bad political gamble but it worked and so ends up being good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.