Subject: How to add Undo to MoM on Windows rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
...sort of.

Undo for Mansions of Madness is a Windows app I wrote which adds a "poor man's" Undo capability to the Mansions of Madness app. It's free and open-source software which can be downloaded from GitHub here.

Here's a quick blurb from the link above. You can visit it for more details.
Quote:
To use it, start this Undo app before starting the Mansions of Madness app. While you're playing MoM, the Undo app will take snapshots (called "Undo States") of the game's state at the beginning of each Investigator Phase, and also just before the End Investigator Phase button is clicked.

If you click something by accident which you need to undo, Save and Quit to the main menu, then switch to the Undo app (or exit the MoM app entirely if you prefer), and select an Undo State to restore. When you click Continue from the main menu of the MoM app, you'll continue the game starting at the point when the Undo State snapshot was taken.

And a screenshot:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Chevalier
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
Wow! Thank you so much for that! 😊
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, I think I'll have to live without it! I suspect I'd be too tempted to use it to reverse a decision that hadn't gone my way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh - sounds like a great way to save multiple games if playing with different groups over multiple sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mattpburgess wrote:
Thank you very much, I think I'll have to live without it! I suspect I'd be too tempted to use it to reverse a decision that hadn't gone my way!

Yeah I could see that being a problem

JudgementDave wrote:
Oooh - sounds like a great way to save multiple games if playing with different groups over multiple sessions.

Yup, that's why I added that Save Selected Undo State as... button. Be sure to use it, otherwise it will eventually get overwritten (by default it keeps track of 20 states).

Question, though: wouldn't it be a bit painful to keep track of and restore the physical state of the game? Even with a photograph I imagine it would be a bit tricky...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for creating this program gurnec, this should have been a feature of the app all along!

One a bit off-topic Question:

Do you think it would be possible to create such a thing for the Road to Legend app for Descent 2nd Edition?

It is also missing an undo button, but the save system is a bit different (multiple save slots).

Regards,
Delphi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
DelphiDie wrote:
Do you think it would be possible to create such a thing for the Road to Legend app for Descent 2nd Edition?

I would hazard a guess that it would be possible, but it will be a while before I can find the time to take a look....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so great! I can now save a game I've been playing on one computer to a flash drive and continue that game on a different computer later! Love this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried this out, works great! Thanks!

Descent's Road to Legend App is very similar so I'd imagine that FFG didn't stray too far from it when designing MoM so something very similar should work for Descent as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
picklethehutt wrote:

Descent's Road to Legend App is very similar so I'd imagine that FFG didn't stray too far from it when designing MoM so something very similar should work for Descent as well.

You're right, they didn't stray far. I have taken a quick look at it, though I don't own the game (yet...?) - the biggest difference is the inclusion of 5 save slots. It does add a wrinkle to things, but I do intend to add support for it sometime in the not-too-distant future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gurnec wrote:
picklethehutt wrote:

You're right, they didn't stray far. I have taken a quick look at it, though I don't own the game (yet...?) - the biggest difference is the inclusion of 5 save slots. It does add a wrinkle to things, but I do intend to add support for it sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
gurnec wrote:

Thanks a lot for considering this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Version 2.0 of Undo has been released and is available for download from GitHub here.

It adds support for two additional FFG companion apps, Descent Second Edition - Road to Legend and Star Wars: Imperial Assault - Legends of the Alliance.

It also adds two new columns for Mansions of Madness, one of which is fairly interesting. The new Tiles Required column shows which tile symbols will be required for the upcoming game, e.g. if it shows "Key, Tentacle", you'll know you should set aside tiles with the Key or Tentacle symbol (from Recurring Nightmares and the base set respectively) for this game.

This can also help out people who would like to play using the conversion kit included in the base game (for additional investigator and monster variety) even if they don't have one or both of the figure & tile collections. Start a new game, and if it requires tiles from a collection you don't have, end the game and try again.

Owners of Suppressed Memories who don't own Recurring Nightmares may be able to try out the Dearly Departed scenario if they don't mind proxying a single tile in the game. By restarting the Dearly Departed scenario until you receive the variant which requires "Key, Flask, Moon", I believe the resulting map will only require a single Key tile (which could be proxied) with all of the others being Flask or Moon tiles (I've checked this manually). I haven't double-checked this though, so I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken.

I hope some find this useful!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
gurnec wrote:
Version 2.0 of Undo has been released and is available for download from GitHub here.

You, Sir, are a gentleman! Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
This is great news!

I once ruined a game by misclicking, and we just couldn't believe there was no way to undo it ...

I had accidentally ended the investigator phase before anyone had taken a turn, just when the endgame was coming up and time was in short supply ...
Most unfortunate, and the whole party got pissed. Not at me, mind you, - Who hasn't misclicked at least once in their lives, after all? - but at the designers for refusing to anticipate a situation which is bound to happen sooner or later.

Looks like we won't be having any more of that. Thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw you mentioned you may make an OS X version if you get the requests for it so I am here to formally request a Mac version of your app.

Last I knew a pkg could be downloaded on an Android device and installed without requiring the device to be rooted. It's been a while since I did it, but I had no issues doing it. Or is it an issue with accessing the other app's data? I did not think they were protected that way since I can access them via a laptop/desktop and muck with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.