John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always look longingly at TI3 (and now 4) Exodus, Eclipse, etc, but I'd really like a 4x packed into a shorter play time.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
I always look longingly at TI3 (and now 4) Exodus, Eclipse, etc, but I'd really like a 4x packed into a shorter play time.

Any ideas?
Space Empires: 4X, but only if you play on a small map and both players are experienced and decisive. Even then one hour is admittedly on the short end of estimated time needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
4x is quite a broad term for me.

If you can find it, Starship Catan plays strictly 2 players and plays in under an hour and it's 4x.

It has Catan in the name, but outside vague similarities, it's not really a Catan game.

You explore 4 sector of space (made of card piles).
You exterminate pirates.
You expand by founding trading posts and colonies.
You exploit 6 types of resources to build upgrades and new techs for your ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Stars II? Kinda?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Robinson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Kickstarted project Horizons is supposed to meet your criteria, but it is between pledge and publishing right now. The intro on the Kickstarter page says it was deliberately designed to be a shorter timeframe. I wanted to pledge and couldn't at the time but it stuck in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies scratches the itch for some people. There is no direct conflict, the competition for some planets is more of a race, as is the game in general.

Impulse is similar (and usually is a little over an hour) to Tiny Epic Galaxies, in that the "tech tree" is sort-of engine building, and usually the players who can get theirs running first will win.

Lastly, while not a galactic setting, but still sci-fi, 51st State: Master Set is another civ builder that can be played around an hour with 2 once learned. Again, you can't really exterminate your opponent, but the competition for resources feels a little more aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
space empires 4x and eclipse hit around the 2hr mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires springs to mind. Pocket Imperium is a stripped-down 4X space game.

I see you already own Eminent Domain and Race for the Galaxy, but maybe Core Worlds or the upcoming Alien Artifacts might be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Borders: Humanity is listed as playing in 30 minutes. Imperial Stars II is listed as playing in 60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Pasqualetto
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We can get a game of Exodus: Proxima Centauri in about 90 min, but that's only after we have played a few times. Game is definitely more combat driven than most 4x games, which is a plus for me, but it's not like the other 4x games I've played.

Alien Artifacts is a 4x card game, and it actually does have a 4x feel, but it's still a card game. This we can get a game in about 45-60 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite 4x, but Quantum might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Space Empires: 4X, but only if you play on a small map and both players are experienced and decisive. Even then one hour is admittedly on the short end of estimated time needed. [/q]
The strong points for SE4X in this regard are how modular and customizable it is, and the fact that turns can be played simultaneously unless there is combat. I haven't personally played it under the circumstances OP requests, but I definitely think it warrants OP's further investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpgate goes back on Kickstarter in january
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Impulse, as long as you allow a generous interpretation of eXplore (you move into an unexplored sector, pick up the card there, and replace it with any card in hand face up).
eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate are definitely all in there, and it plays under an hour and well with 2.

The only caveat is that it is also (primarily?) a complex card game, and may not suit someone who is looking to experience a computer game style experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega Centauri!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imho Alien Artifacts could also be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy. I mention this little classic just in case you're not familiar with it. Check it out!

Edit... ooops... you own Race, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akamas Nairb
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I have heard a lot about Alien Artifacts from Portal Games. It might be what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AkamsB wrote:
I have heard a lot about Alien Artifacts from Portal Games. It might be what you are looking for.
FWIW, it doesn't feel like a 4x game to me, at all.

It's a great engine/tableau building game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
AkamsB wrote:
FWIW, it doesn't feel like a 4x game to me, at all.

It's a great engine/tableau building game, though.

Agree. Though to be fair I don't find anything that abstracts out the map, and movement on that map, to "really" feel like 4X.
Not entirely sure if the problem is with me, or with the strict 4X definition (as much as there is a coherent definition beyond the required but insufficient 4 Xs). Probably at least partially with me, since I'll have an easier time taking a 3X with a map as 4Xish enough, than something with versions of all 4 Xs but no map.
I think many people would generally agree, including OP who, as noted by someone earlier, already own some of these samples mentioned and didn't see fit to consider them when starting the thread.

+1 Pocket Imperium (barely), Impulse, Quantum, Imperial Stars II, Omega Centauri. Though getting to just an hour playtime would take some experience, especially with the last two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
New Dawn might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.