Subject: Harbor Master and Resource Phase hero synergy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Gilner
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So, I was very excited by this deck by The Mormegil based around maximizing the repeatable defensive ability of Harbor Master.

Unfortunately, the rules preclude some of the central card interactions. We know, thanks to Caleb Grace's response in this thread that Harbor Master's card text is only triggered by heroes and player cards that "add" resources to a hero's resource pool, and not by cards that "move" a resource to a hero's pool.

But this deck has made me want to dependably maximize Harbor Master's ability each and every turn. The most consistent rule with Harbor Master is that its card text is only triggered when another card will "add" a resource to a hero's pool.

My question is: would Harbor Master be triggered at the beginning of each round by the card text of Thorin Oakenshield, Amarthiul, and Prince Imrahil's Prince of Dol Amroth? This trio could potentially guarantee three Harbor Masters, with minimum +3 defense, each and every turn.

To refresh, here is the text on each of these three cards:

Thorin Oakenshield: If you control at least 5 Dwarf characters, add 1 additional resource to Thorin Oakenshield's pool when you collect resources during the resource phase.

Amarthiul: While you are engaged with at least 2 enemies, add 1 additional resource to Amarthiúl's resource pool when you collect resources during the resource phase.

Prince of Dol Amroth: While you control Outlands allies that belong to 4 different spheres, add 1 additional resource to Prince Imrahil's resource pool when you collect resources during the resource phase (if Prince Imrahil is a hero).

Does this card text satisfy the "card text" requirement of Harbor Master? Or does such text not satisfy the requirement--for instance, does a card have to be played to technically "add" a resource, or (what I guess is most likely) does such text technically modify the resource phase instead of "adding" a resource?

I realize this may require some consideration from the creators, and my guess is that it doesn't technically trigger the effect, but I thought the community might have some insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Thorin and Amarthiul are certainly resources added by card text.
Prince *might* just be a modification of the rules framework resource generation and not a standalone addition.

Wait, all of them use resource phase wording? Reading comprehension is hard. Yeah, requires more research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Golden Rule (whatever is hardest from the players) might cause them not to work, but on the face of the text I certainly think they should. Even though all three cases are adding an "additional" resource, they are cards and they are adding so I would count them.

Edit: I think it will be all or none on a ruling here, I see no reason to distinguish between Thorin/Amarthiul and Prince of Dol Amroth on whether this is considered adding a resource or just modifying the framework addition. The wording appears identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gilner
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yeah, I think we'll need some ruling from on high. Because the resource is "added" during the resource phase, I am hesitant to to commit to it, even though it is still technically "adding.":

Ex: "add 1 additional resource to Amarthiúl's resource pool when you collect resources during the resource phase."

But then again, this is distinctly different from the type of resource acquisition that Resourceful provides during the same process, but by the process of "collecting" resources instead of "adding" them.

Resourceful: "Attached hero collects 1 additional resource during the resource phase each round."

Well, now when I contrast it with Resourceful, it does seem to me that Amarthiul, Thorin Oakenshield, and other cards that specifically use the word "add" would trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.