Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 or 2 right?

1. Number of farm + tundra
Example: 1 structures on farm, 2 structures on tundra = 6 coins
OR
2. Number of farm/tundra ("/" = or)
Example: 1 structure on farm, 2 structures on tundra = 4 coins (choose score for the tundra)

In the rules say "and", but the tile illustration is "/", it's contradictory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is 1) but don’t have official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "and."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It's "and."

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the / is used because if they put & it may be awkward because a building can’t be on forest AND tundra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nglamarc wrote:
The illustration seems to contradict the written rules because the written rules talk about all buildings (and therefore use "and") while the illustration shows each building separately; A single building cannot be build on farm and tundra at the same time, therefore the "or" illustration is correctly used.
Note though that each line is evaluated independently of the others, i.e.
1st building is on Tundra or Farm
2nd building is on Tundra or Farm (doesn't matter what type the 1st building is on)
3rd building is on Tundra or Farm (doesn't matter what type the 1st and 2nd buildings are on)
4th building is on Tundra or Farm (doesn't matter what type the other buildings are on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Williams
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
It's "and."
I would go with what the game designer says...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Nunes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This bonus is still not clear to me. If the players have only for structures, how can I have 4 structure on farms and 4 others on tundras to get the bonuses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not in the syntax you stated. It's having 4 structures on a combination of tundra and/or farm hexes. All farms, no tundra; two farms, two tundra; three tundra, one farm. Those are some of the valid combinations to get the maximum 9 coin bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
nglamarc wrote:

1 or 2 right?

1. Number of farm + tundra
Example: 1 structures on farm, 2 structures on tundra = 6 coins
OR
2. Number of farm/tundra ("/" = or)
Example: 1 structure on farm, 2 structures on tundra = 4 coins (choose score for the tundra)

Well, I know the dev said it is to be read as "and" which is counter intuitive. I prefer to think of it as any building on a tundra or a farm will score a bonus. You add (application of the "and"?) up the total of your buildings that are on either of those types of terrain and score the appropriate bonus. Going strictly by the left side of the tile could raise the question you asked, but the right side of the tile should have clarified this for you. Actually, considering both sides of the tile, reading the / sign as "and" could make things even more confusing, so don't...

ED: OK, so reading the thread even more closely, I don't think Jamey was referring to the / icon with his "and" remark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You think if the left side / was a + instead, that could help?

"Look at buildings you have on farms plus look at buildings you have on tundra. Based on the quantity of hexes your buildings are on of either farms or tundra, get that many coins."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Delwarris wrote:
You think if the left side / was a + instead, that could help?
No, I really don't!! But I can see where you might be tempted to think that you first must decide whether you are going to go with all farms or all tundra for the bonus. But it is "or" all the way as further illustrated on the right.

Delwarris wrote:
"Look at buildings you have on farms plus look at buildings you have on tundra. Based on the quantity of hexes your buildings are on of either farms or tundra, get that many coins."
{Emphasis mine)
Either farm or tundra. Exactly! Which is what the tile already says just the way it is. You don't need the first sentence as the second says all you need to know. How many of your (potentially) four buildings are on one of those types of hex, simple as that. Trying to interpret it as having to choose which (farm vs. tundra) and saying they all have to be on that type is way overthinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly how to get around that overthinking?

Could the left side been building -> farm/tundra? It would use the same symbolical syntax on the right side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Delwarris wrote:
Sadly how to get around that overthinking?

Could the left side been building -> farm/tundra? It would use the same symbolical syntax on the right side.
Might have been harder to compose aesthetically to show the general context of the bonus, but yes that could have worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm still a bit confused on this tile even after reading this thread.

Say I've build 3 structures on farms and 1 structure on a tundra.

During end game scoring, do I receive:

8 coins (6 coins for building on farms + 2 coins for building on a tundra)

or 9 coins (all 4 structures are on either a farm or tundra)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9 coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
waxbottle wrote:
I'm still a bit confused on this tile even after reading this thread.

Say I've build 3 structures on farms and 1 structure on a tundra.

During end game scoring, do I receive:

8 coins (6 coins for building on farms + 2 coins for building on a tundra)

or 9 coins (all 4 structures are on either a farm or tundra)
The unhelpful "and" people seem determined to find a use for...

How many farms did you have on either farms or tundra? Answer here is four. What is the bonus for having four buildings on either farm or tundra? Looks like 9 coins, reading across the line for four buildings on the right side of the tile (which tells you how many coins you get for which number of buildings that meet the requirement of being on either a farm or tundra). There is no reward of eight coins shown anywhere on the tile.

The left side of the tile sets up the condition to be met by your buildings in order to receive a bonus; namely, your buildings must be either on a farm or a tundra tile. The right side of the tile tells you what the bonus is, in coins, for the number of buildings you have that meet the requirement.

Feels silly to be saying the same thing over and over in various ways but still seeing confusion?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.