Hide
6 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you only ever use 1 card per player during skills? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
When attempting skills can you only use 1 card per player.. as in play one card or use 1 item or something?

Keelan McCluskey says (truncated) "when playing botany... discard 1 card... in order to use another botany card"

This makes me think that you can only ever play 1 card from each character during a test... is that right? And if so what about items? Can you only use 1 item or 1 card, or 1 of each together, or can you play as many cards as you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only remove 1 pip from each item in your inventory during a test. If that item has several cards stacked underneath, you gain the benefit of all of the items in the stack just fort that single pip.

You can play as many cards in your hand that apply during a skill check.

All players involved in the check would have to abide by the above rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no such limitation.

Most botany cards are Satchel & Journal cards and only apply to certain types of plant. For example, if you have the right card, then when a certain type of plant appears on your terrain, you might be able to treat your terrain as having the cord resource. You might have a second botany card that allows you to use a certain type of plant when taking a First Aid action.

Keelan's ability allows you to use one type of plant as the other type of plant by discarding one card. That's why it has the singular keywords. It's not a limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played the print and play demo with the alpha rules and wondered about this.

When doing a skills test, I had in my hand a card awarding 2 automatic successes (stars), a card subtracting 3 action card draws (blue -3 diamond) and a card allowing me to take a card of my choice from the discard pile and add it to my hand.

So in this case, can I play the 2 automatic successes, then play the card allowing me to reclaim that card from the discard pile, and then play the 2 successes card again, allowing me an automatic 4 successes before ever having to draw from the action deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For both the PnP and the final game, the answer is no.

The card that lets you take the card from the discard pile, called Remember, requires you to take a 0/0 Action. You cannot start a new action until the current one is complete. Thus, you cannot use Remember during the results step of another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
For both the PnP and the final game, the answer is no.

The card that lets you take the card from the discard pile, called Remember, requires you to take a 0/0 Action. You cannot start a new action until the current one is complete. Thus, you cannot use Remember during the results step of another action.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.