Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98894073/government-will-ab...

Looks like GST will be on everything rather than just those purchases over a certain price...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank $#@! they can't retroactively charge it on the 2 Kickstarters I expect early next year - already paid for.....

And a good reason to enforce my now permanent embargo on anything new - my collection is full

Ça suffit!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't mind paying the GST itself. What I dislike is that currently if you cross the GST threshold you are charged GST + a fee, so it feels like you are being charged a fee for the pleasure of paying GST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Is the game up?" -- no
"Are the prices up?" -- yes

For me its more frustrating when a game either isn't released here, or is oop and cant be found here.

Plus side at least 8 months away and doesn't affect Xmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And the game is afoot again!

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/labour-backpedals-gst-cl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Markley
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all very well to say they want to collect GST on everything but how are they going to do it. The new Revenue Minister seems to be shooting from the hip and doesn't really even understand his portfolio

Also - the real problem is that retailing (for many reasons) is simply very noncompetitive in NZ. Overseas visitors are constantly amazed at how expensive everything is here. What the government needs to do is make the NZ economy much more competitive instead of further subsidising its uncompetitiveness. Several thousand km of shipping costs should be adequate protection already surely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fensedge wrote:
It's all very well to say they want to collect GST on everything but how are they going to do it. The new Revenue Minister seems to be shooting from the hip and doesn't really even understand his portfolio

Also - the real problem is that retailing (for many reasons) is simply very noncompetitive in NZ. Overseas visitors are constantly amazed at how expensive everything is here. What the government needs to do is make the NZ economy much more competitive instead of further subsidising its uncompetitiveness. Several thousand km of shipping costs should be adequate protection already surely.

The obvious way to collect GST would be via the means of payment. Most online overseas purchases are via a couple of credit card companies and a handful of banks. They should know enough about the transactions to distinguish between domestic transactions, transactions while traveling and online purchases from overseas. But I guess that the government will actually use NZ Post, Customs and trying to make overseas companies register with IRD.

We have very long shopping hours in NZ (convenient for shoppers, expensive for shop owners), we have a low ratio of shoppers to shops (overseas visitors will tell you that NZ shops and shopping streets are empty). So the government should move the entire population into one compact city to make NZ like the places our visitors come from. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny cos I consider our shopping hours to be short. Or the shops close so early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shopping hours are very short here. Originally from the states, shops close at 9pm Mon to Sat. Sunday the shops close around 5pm.

That being said, minimum wage is significantly lower in the US and labour laws are much looser. Hiring someone at $7 an hour to man the cash register at a retail shop is quite normal. So longer hours don't cost as much, even if the number of shoppers at those late hours hardly justify staying open late.

Retail has always been a cutthroat environment. Main street shops were put out of business by malls, and now malls are being put out of business by online retailers. Your point of difference has to be something other than price.

Prices in nz are high, but so are operating costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianne wrote:
we have a low ratio of shoppers to shops (overseas visitors will tell you that NZ shops and shopping streets are is empty).

FYP, but that's why we like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Shopping hours are very short here. Originally from the states, shops close at 9pm Mon to Sat. Sunday the shops close around 5pm.

The US is a big place, it may depend on where you are. I remember being surprised how quickly St Louis CBD turned into a ghost town after 5pm on a weekday, granted that was some years ago.

I've spent more time in the EU where opening hours can be quite odd, with lots of local variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, true. The cbds in American cities are ghost towns after 5pm. The malls and chain restaurants out in the suburbs is where everyone goes at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.