Subject: Best pacific theater naval battle game published after 1990 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sewon Kwon
United States
CARSON
California
flag msg tools
What is the best pacific theater naval battle game published after 1990?
All of the posts I read here were about Flat top and Victory in the Pacific. However, those games are older than I am Is there any new game for the pacific theater?

Thanx!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory in the Pacific will continue to be awesome, regardless of its age.

Empire of the Sun

Asia Engulfed

Are both excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Victory (sub action, better solitaire)
Empire of the Sun
Iron Bottom Sound III
Ships in Flames (expansion for World in Flames)
IJN (expansion for Silent War; solitaire)
War in the Pacific (second edition) (enormous monster)
Gato Leader (Solitaire, sub action)
Dai Senso
Asia Engulfed
Axis & Allies: Pacific, 1940 (beer & pretzels)
Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945
Fleet Commander: Nimitz (Solitaire)

... one of those ought to scratch the post-1990 WWII Pacific naval action itch. Little bit of everything on this list. Some are updates of older games, but all of these were published > 1990.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not limited to naval battles, but my favorite Pacific game is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval battle games have been hard to come by of late. "Scratch One Flat Top!" is the only one that comes to mind... Most everything I can think of in the PTO these days has been strategic or a land battle/campaign. If you like complex, miniatures-style games, there's the Rising Sun module for Command at Sea series.

(Carrier is 1990 and is very good, but it's also one of the harder to obtain games around.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Victory is a block game published in 2000.

Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45 and its companion Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45 were published just last year.

Both of these, especially the Holdfast games, are towards the faster and lighter end of the wargames spectrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like Coral Sea: Campaign Commander Volume II. Some rather unique and clever mechanics but the rule book is a challenge.

Axis Empires: Dai Senso! is a game that I just recently acquired and it looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
k4js wrote:
All of the posts I read here were about Flat top and Victory in the Pacific. However, those games are older than I am Is there any new game for the pacific theater?

Thanx!!!

How unfortunate that you were born in the wrong era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Across the Pacific and Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945. I have Empire of the Sun plus the two magazine gamettes based on War Plan Orange and Guadalcanal and hope to get to those soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim v Trump '17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire of the Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Across the Pacific. I really like how the chit pull system creates interesting situations and allows the Japanese to pull off something like a Leyte Gulf type scenario.

The chit pull also simulates well the amount of space and time that are involved in such a vast area of the globe.

And finally, not least of the benefits, is the feeling that the conclusion of the war is not inevitable. If you have a Coral Sea or Midway type battle go wrong for the USA with this system, it will leave a mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k4js wrote:

Thanx!!!

I wrote this a number of years ago... hopefully it will offer some insights to your question.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/794756/three-views-savo-isl...

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sewon Kwon
United States
CARSON
California
flag msg tools
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Olsson
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
Avalanche Press has a whole series of operational (or grand tactical) level naval wargames: Second World War at Sea.

A turn is 4 hours; a scenario typically revolves around a famous naval campaign or battle, like Coral Sea or Midway and they are in print now. (Some of them, at least.)

I have never played them FtF so I can't really vouch for their quality, but they do seem to match the scale you are looking for. So I thought they were worth mentioning here.

:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want _battles_ or at most operations, where air search and carrier operations planning are most important, these 3 share systems (firstmost, a quick playing double blind search), they are the most streamlined and still historically serious:
Victory at Midway from Command Magazine.
Solomon Sea
Bay of Bengal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.