Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sébastien Schmutz
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.2.4 "Roman battle" states that a retreat may be declared provided there is an eligible region to do so. Step 6 exception says that the leader and hidden warbands may stay in region though.

So, does it mean that the Gallic player may declare the battle region as being the retreat region if he has only leader + hidden warbands?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seb283 wrote:
So, does it mean that the Gallic player may declare the battle region as being the retreat region if he has only leader + hidden warbands?

No. Step 6 says (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
If the Defender did declare a Retreat, the Defender selects one adjacent Region (it may be across the adjacency arrows in and out of Britannia).

The Region in which the Battle is fought is not adjacent to itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pinner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gaul defending from Romans can retreat in place i.e. the same region, as long as they are hidden/leader. This halves losses, but of course also means that allied tribes and citadels take losses first.

3.2.4 Roman Battle.

If the Defender did declare a Retreat, the Defender selects one adjacent Region (it may be across the adjacency arrows in and out of Britannia). The Region must be under Control of the Defender or of a Faction that agreed at Step 2 above (not No Control). The Defender must either move all its surviving Leader and Warbands to that Region or remove them.

EXCEPTION: The Defender may opt to have any Retreating Leader and/or Hidden Warbands stay put. All Allied Tribes and Citadels stay in the Region.

3.3.4 Gallic Battle.
NOTE: Unlike in a Roman Attack, no Retreating Leaders nor Warbands may stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Schmutz
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it mean that the Gallic player has to prove he can retreat in an adjacent region even though his pieces can and will stay in the battle region? It sounds strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that they do still need support, from a friendly adjacent region, to retreat - even if they ultimately don't cross the border and stay put.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seb283 wrote:
Does it mean that the Gallic player has to prove he can retreat in an adjacent region even though his pieces can and will stay in the battle region? It sounds strange.

No. The “Exception” is as stated; no suitable adjacent region is needed for the Gauls to retreat “in place.” They simply stay there. BUT this form of retreat only applies to hidden Gauls and leader. Any visible Gauls in the force would need a suitable adjacent region to retreat to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed the exception applied only to the last sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pinner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm with Bob. I don't read the rule applying only to the last sentence, but I can see why one could interpret it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seb283 wrote:
3.2.4 "Roman battle" states that a retreat may be declared provided there is an eligible region to do so. Step 6 exception says that the leader and hidden warbands may stay in region though.

Thanks
No adjacent retreat destination is required. See here for previous debate and official answer: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1593649/gallic-faction-retr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Schmutz
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
No adjacent retreat destination is required. See here for previous debate and official answer: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1593649/gallic-faction-retr...

Great, thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.