Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all the quests are here in the sessions forum. I posted them on SGOYT (solitaire games on your table, mostly in November) but I am going to post a few here on the sessions forum for the ones I think are more useful/instructional. I'm not representing myself as an expert though. Also I'm playing one rule which might be considered a variant by at least some players -- my Ranger removes defense dice after rolling. Lastly, I sometimes add open doors to rooms that have NO doors to provide more places on the board to hide and CotD has more restrictions on items carried over from previous games. I try to stick to those as much as I can, but I usually fudge 1 or 2 depending on the situation. Thanks and I hope this is useful to players.

City of the Dwarves (fan made Campaign) Quest 5 Into the City

Medium sized board, objective -- kill the "captain of the guard" and exit from the exit. But there's a special mechanic. When you open the door into the room (yes a room) that contains the 5 token on the tile, the captain of the guard (Lord Tusk) spawns at the exit. He starts with no equipment but draws a new level 5 card every villain phase and keeps the best of the two. Also the level 5 token has the possibility of spawning monsters that remain trapped in the room if you spend too much time on level 4.

The wizard opens the first door spawning in his zone (not an issue as he is a teleporter). However, he decides he can take it and zaps and than attacks them taking the counter attack. Bjorn storms in and finishes off the survivors, using his signature ability (twice because of the ring of braveness) and his head butt. They go into the room and loot the treasure and go through to the next tile.

I'm picturing that Justice League comic where the 4 C list supervillains break into a house and end up in a living room full of the Justice League and ALL their friends. Everyone stops and stares. The villains back slowly toward the kitchen and all heck breaks loose. This time an agent ends up right in the sweet spot of my destructive potential and is vaporised quickly.

We break into the hallway of the level 3 token (so this is the last tile at my current level). The event card spawns a group ahead, but they are a melee group with a good card but at the end of a LONG hallway. This is not conducive to their continued good health.

As I turn it to level 4, Elias opens the door to meet a pretty serious threat with excellent weapons. He can't take a hit. He therefore switches to magical weapons (instead of blades), zaps, attacks at range 1 and retreats. The bad guys come out chasing him and find themselves in a less advantageous position (and in a dark tile).

I have Elias before Bjorn in the turn order so he can stir up the hornets and run and have Bjorn clean up after. Bjorn finishes them with some moderate luck on rolls. Their defense isn't great, it's their offense. Luckily they don't survive to counterattack. We then decide to sprint for the level 5 tile. We decide to run away from the Orcs. They're not that fearsome, but why fight them. Or so we thought.

And then the game slaps us in the face by spawning an agent right outside the room. Fudge. We change plans. Bjorn charges out and attacks the Orcs and kills them. The first Ranger attacks the Agent, drawing him in. The second Ranger damages the Agent with no counterattack. Elias kills him.

We get a new Wandering Monster. More delays. We elect to run for the level 5 tile and do. By opening up the level 5 room (with a spawn) we also get Lord Tusk on the end tile. After killing the spawn in the room, we end the turn. We get blowgunners outside the room but both the WM and the blowgunners cannot see us. We are in the dark. They head toward the start tile. We got Lord Tusk moving because his level 5 card (drawn at the villain phase when we were killing the room spawn) was not a good card for him and we didn't want to wait for him to draw a better one.

First ranger hurts him and he charges (but cannot attack since he can't get to the actual Ranger). 2nd ranger 2 zones down the same hallway (in the dark) fires 3 times, nearly killing him. Elias zaps him and he DIES. We depart.

Glacial pace of experience still has my group at level 3 but a solid 3. Rangers are in decent shape but my Ranger's weapons still need improvement. I'd love to find the level 3 fire bow. Equipment is still below my previous story mode group after 3 games and I've just finished 5. I left a couple of rooms, but the problem is level 4 and 5 gear are not that important for me yet, till I manage to acquire level 4 skills. Why even bother to pick it up?

I'm still adding the occasional open door to the map and fudging by 1 or 2 pieces of equipment but still fewer than the normal story mode would allow. I'm also still playing the Rangers removing defense dice AFTER rolling which I still think is the right rule, but many on the MD forums thinks is a variant. On to game 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Potter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this session before you received the acrylic covers? Don't see them in the pictures. I was using the gems from Vitaculture but those covers look like the way to go? Curious how they worked and if you feel like they're worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oleary393 wrote:
Was this session before you received the acrylic covers? Don't see them in the pictures. I was using the gems from Vitaculture but those covers look like the way to go? Curious how they worked and if you feel like they're worth it?

Yes, it was before. I used them in my last game though and have yet to post the result yet. I really liked the overlays and the counters. My only concern is space in the insert and weight. I suspect I can carry a set along with me and a smaller number of tear off class sheets. I got 6 in the set along with the counters. We'll see.

There's actually a more expensive version of these overlays I ordered before I saw these. They're coming from Europe in 2018 (due to long shipping time). Those have a slightly different style. Will post when they arrive. Truth is though I suspect I'll like these better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.