James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment as I've just found out that my (already paid for) pre-order for the latest edition of this game has been cancelled as the number of copies delivered to the shop were less than they had been promised by the distributer. So the game is again already completely sold out in the UK before it even hits the shelves. shake

It begs the question, just what is the publisher/distributer doing here ?

Either they are really badly miscalculating the expected number of sales for each reprint, or they don't actually have much interest in selling copies. Surely by now they should be able to gauge the international market enough to ensure enough copies are available.

I also observed that the game was not even on sale at Essen, despite being one of the biggest releases in the last 12 months. I can only imagine how many potential sales and publicity they lost due to this non-appearance.

All this does is create bad will amongst would-be purchasers, and also drive up the 2nd hand price... someone is making money (copy on Amazon.uk for £199 !), but it's not the people that should be.

Can someone please explain, is there a rational process behind this apparent chaos, or is this just down to bad planning !?!?! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to agree, but Im on the same boat here in Spain. They told us on forums that new copies were arriving to Europe and this far, nothing to see on any store in my country. I understand it must be really hard considering the high demand fpr everyone to have their copy but still, here I am waiting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
I managed to put in a pre order to boardgameguru a few days ago as it's expected in yesterday i think. But the pre order sold out almost withìn 24 hours!

I've not had a cancellation email yet! So fingers crossed. This has been a really hard game to get all year. But yes I guess it may mean people move on to other games before this one even appears on shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
jamessinden wrote:
Either they are really badly miscalculating the expected number of sales for each reprint, or they don't actually have much interest in selling copies. Surely by now they should be able to gauge the international market enough to ensure enough copies are available.

Just to play advocate for the publisher, Sagrada seems to be far surpassing their projections. For a small publisher, it's a really good problem to have. Remember that this isn't Days of Wonder or another Asmodee subsidiary big-name publisher. They're small, and the risk to make too large of a print run is a pretty big risk.

I've lost count at exactly how many print-runs have been made, but for a small publisher with very little staff, it's understandable that print runs shipped to warehouses shipped to distributors shipped to retailers will take time.

And if by any chance there is work being done on an expansion, that takes up valuable staff resources (time) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you willing to pay 199pounds for my copy?!

just kidding.

Yeah I bet it is frustrating, I myself talked to 8 different stores before I found a copy (in US).

I wish you luck.

I don't know if I agree that it create bad will for the publisher, they are not a big one from what I can tell, and it might take them some time to catch up with the success that this game is having.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Just to play advocate for the publisher, Sagrada seems to be far surpassing their projections. For a small publisher, it's a really good problem to have. Remember that this isn't Days of Wonder or another Asmodee subsidiary big-name publisher. They're small, and the risk to make too large of a print run is a pretty big risk.

I've lost count at exactly how many print-runs have been made, but for a small publisher with very little staff, it's understandable that print runs shipped to warehouses shipped to distributors shipped to retailers will take time.

And if by any chance there is work being done on an expansion, that takes up valuable staff resources (time) as well.

I would like to hope they are spending the majority of time catering to the still large number of gamers waiting for the initial game before expending time on an expansion...

Check the numbers on BGG:

4.8k owners
2.8k wishlist
700+ people hoping to land one in a trade compared to 24 trading.

The demand is fairly obvious I would suggest...

All it would take to help is for the publisher to make a statement, BGG would be as good a forum as any, to say that indeed this print run was really, really small, or was focused on the NA market rather than Europe (I assume) and that yes their reasons were that they could not afford the risk etc... and for sure they will be producing a new print run in x months, and that they are sorry for the lack of supply but they hope gamers can understand the reasoning...

A little upfront basic honest usually does the trick... we're not unreasonable people !whistle

But to be in a situation where shops are told they would be receiving x copies, so they sell pre-orders accordingly... and then when the case arrives it contains less copies... this is not a case of risk management, this is bad information, and lack of planning. A properly run company would not allow this to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I would like to hope they are spending the majority of time catering to the still large number of gamers waiting for the initial game before expending time on an expansion...

I don't think working on an expansion would be hindering the delivery of the game too much. Most of the hold-up is waiting for the base game to be printed, shipped, delivered all of which takes time, but not exhaustive human resources at the publisher's end.

Small publisher + very successful/hyped game = delays in getting the game to everyone who wants one.

Not much new under the sun here, although it's frustrating when you think you have a pre-order only to find that it's a mirage. Also frustrating to know I had it in my hand in the summer but then put it back on the shelf because I wasn't sure if my partner would enjoy it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Floodgate is a really small publisher and the demand took them by surprise. Maybe they just don't have the logistics to print/distribute as many as needed?

The last thing I heard from them was that a third print run was due to land in December, that it was much bigger than the first two, and after that they were hoping to keep it in stock. I don't know if any of that worked out as they hoped.

I'm extremely lucky that my FLGS is awesome. They only had three copies in and I picked up one of them today. Sorry to everyone still waiting ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

A couple things:

1. Yes, the initial demand, then increase in demand took us by surprise. We planned for growth, and were outstripped twice (and it looks like the third run will be too).
2. Many copies sent to and received by a distributor in the UK were... misplaced... until recently found. This constituted a large portion of what was sent that way, so it's no surprise that the supply felt small. I *think* these copies have all made there way to stores.
3. From the third print run, we're sending quite a few copies directly from the factory to a UK distributor! That should be on the way soon (and cut out some delay)
4. The fourth print run is already underway and is significantly larger and should smooth things out from here on.

Apologies to those of you who want to purchase Sagrada and aren't able to at your FLGS. Were doing our best to manage around a pleasant surprise, and appreciate everyone's patience and support in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey

I think there are a few copies floating about at the moment.

On the Geekmarket earlier this week Ginger games were selling it (pre-order) at £32.50 with £3 postage costs. I couldn't believe my eyes and thought it must be a mistake and had heard the fiascos of pre-ordering this game.

I have ordered from Ginger games before and know they are great traders but messaged them to double check how confident they were about receiving it. They said they were due to get 6 copies in on Thurs 16th and my order was (lucky for me)the last one! So I didn't bother posting it here.

For anyone waiting for a game here are two good tips if you dont know already:

1. Subscribe to a game you are after on the games main page, and then next to the subscription button click the drop-down arrow. Say no to all the blog post, images etc but say yes to ebay auction and item for sale. You will then get notified of when this comes on Geekmarket. I have had a couple of great results doing this, Mint copy of Kemet for £30, Mint Libertalia £15 etc

2, Second tip for game hunting and bargain snipping is to go to boardgameprices.co.uk and import your BGG 'want in trade' stuff into boardgameprices website. You can set up alerts for when single games come back in stock and also when they fall below a certain price.

Good luck to all you Sagrada hunters out there!

Happy Gaming!
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Barry, that is useful advice in general.

However, I never got a subscription alert for the Ginger Games geekmarket offers, despite being subscribed to Sagrada, with the correct checkmarks set to YES.

Do the subscription notices disappear once the item is sold? I log in several times a day and didn't see those, so maybe they sold out very quickly and that's why I didn't even see those?

I have subscription alerts with several online retailers in Germany and France for Sagrada and still no luck hunting down a reasonably priced copy (I'm not willing to pay scalper prices on the secondary market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floodgate wrote:
Apologies to those of you who want to purchase Sagrada and aren't able to at your FLGS.

Not just at my FLGS. No game store in my (admittedly small) country. And not at one of the many online retailers in Europe that I've checked out and am willing to order from.
It's not that I'm insisting on buying it at one particular store and ignoring dozens of other great options...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cally Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My pre-order that is had since the 15th of May was cancelled this month unfortunately so I've been on the hunt since then. I've been checking boardgameprices daily and I managed to get a copy this morning from. Shop4world and it's already been dispatched. I believe they have some more copies available right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floodgate wrote:
Hey everyone!

A couple things:

1. Yes, the initial demand, then increase in demand took us by surprise. We planned for growth, and were outstripped twice (and it looks like the third run will be too).
2. Many copies sent to and received by a distributor in the UK were... misplaced... until recently found. This constituted a large portion of what was sent that way, so it's no surprise that the supply felt small. I *think* these copies have all made there way to stores.
3. From the third print run, we're sending quite a few copies directly from the factory to a UK distributor! That should be on the way soon (and cut out some delay)
4. The fourth print run is already underway and is significantly larger and should smooth things out from here on.

Apologies to those of you who want to purchase Sagrada and aren't able to at your FLGS. Were doing our best to manage around a pleasant surprise, and appreciate everyone's patience and support in the meantime.

Ben, When will the 3rd and 4th printing hit the USA distributors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:

Ben, When will the 3rd and 4th printing hit the USA distributors?

3rd is going to be early/mid December... still not sure if it's going to hit stores before Christmas with holiday congestion.

4th printing will be end of February/early March
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan parker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincs England
flag msg tools
badge
Rolling Sixes all the way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my tuppence, but my friend got it when it came out, he played it a couple of times, I played it once with him. He traded it away. He got a really good deal on his trade - basically three good games for Sagrada, but the price and desire for it seems rather over the top

Basically, its just not THAT amazing. Don't get me wrong, it IS OK, but its just a simple little dice game, or pretty window yahtzee really. I don't quite get the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Sacre
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed in my usual online browsing that Games Lore seem to have at least one copy of Sagrada at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darrensacre wrote:
Just noticed in my usual online browsing that Games Lore seem to have at least one copy of Sagrada at the moment.

aaaaaand......Gone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Se Ven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS (UK) got two copies in this week, so some stock is arriving in the UK at the moment. FWIW, I think the other copy might still be available, it isn’t on their website but could be worth a call? Store is https://meeplegames.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean James
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamessinden wrote:
Just a comment as I've just found out that my (already paid for) pre-order for the latest edition of this game has been cancelled as the number of copies delivered to the shop were less than they had been promised by the distributer. So the game is again already completely sold out in the UK before it even hits the shelves. shake

I'm sure that you're upset that you didn't get your game, but I would hardly call this ineptitude or a poorly run business (as you've said in your posts). Things happen. Orders get shuffled around based on demand and priority.
You should calm down and think about your accusations before you make them.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ragecage wrote:
jamessinden wrote:
Just a comment as I've just found out that my (already paid for) pre-order for the latest edition of this game has been cancelled as the number of copies delivered to the shop were less than they had been promised by the distributer. So the game is again already completely sold out in the UK before it even hits the shelves. :shake:

I'm sure that you're upset that you didn't get your game, but I would hardly call this ineptitude or a poorly run business (as you've said in your posts). Things happen. Orders get shuffled around based on demand and priority.
You should calm down and think about your accusations before you make them.:shake:

:shake: so when a shop is told they will receive 6 copies, sell all 6 in good faith for pre-order, and then only 3 arrive and they have to cancel what would you call it ? It's certainly not good business practice :)

The response from Floodgate (and I appreciate their communication) implies that a batch of games was 'lost' by the distributer which seems to be the background to this situation. Not floodgates fault, but somewhere along the line a company in the supply chain screwed up.

FYI - I would hope that distribution is not changed at the last minute due to priorities or demand elsewhere... a promise of a delivery should be honoured unless impacted by events outside of control. A business wouldn't continue in business very long if they took arbitrary decisions to cancel promised deliveries due to someone else changing their order. Gazumping is considered bad practice and a quick way to lose trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
That happened to me on Spirit Island. I pre-ordered and was told there were none available. I got an extra Sagrada but I am in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
shake so when a shop is told they will receive 6 copies, sell all 6 in good faith for pre-order, and then only 3 arrive and they have to cancel what would you call it ?

"Backordered"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.