Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Seipert
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got in a three player game with the trade/order cards last night. One player stayed at the top of the map while the other two headed toward the bottom. Of the first 10 order cards that came out 8 of them were in the top half of the map. With no competition for goods or orders said player was able to easily complete 8-9 orders over the coarse of the game while us other two combined for only 2.

The player who completed the 8-9 orders ended up winning by 20 points by getting technologies that created goods and just completing orders. He did not put down a single building or grab any citizen tiles. The other two of us both ended up putting down 7-8 buildings and collecting 4-5 citizen tiles and each ended with a 5-6 times multiplier. Neither one of us wanted to waste the turns returning to the top of the map just to have to compete for orders where there were no longer goods tiles to pick up. Having done so would have been self-sacrifice.

In summary...are the orders overpowered? Did we allow this to happen by both going to the bottom of the map leaving him uncontested up top? Were the orders that came out just unlucky for us and lucky for the other guy? Would a 4 player game have solved any of these issues? Or did we just plain get beat by a smarter strategy? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well, you said yourself that 8 out of 10 order cards were from the top half. That in and of itself seems to speak to some luck. But it wasn't a "gimme", like, say getting the Tailor shop when there's a lot of brocade on the board. The player would still have had to have executed a strategy to take advantage of it. And it was a higher risk strategy, in that they would have no way of knowing that they'd keep getting those top-half contracts. They could have dried up completely and they'd be on the wrong side of the board. I wouldn't call it "smart" so much as high risk/high reward.

Overall, I'm happy when there's different strategy that works in Orleans. My biggest gripe in the base game was that all victories really seemed to be the same.

What were the overall scores? It's kind of hard to evaluate a 20 point lead without knowing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Seipert
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
What were the overall scores? It's kind of hard to evaluate a 20 point lead without knowing that.

The final scores were 160, 140 and 128.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only issue with them is that the text is so small (both on the cards and especially on the board) that it's difficult to figure out the best option available. Have to constantly review with all players where each card is located on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
argsei43 wrote:
jepmn wrote:

The final scores were 160, 140 and 128.

Yeah, that spread wouldn't really bother me. In most games I play that have random elements (which are generally necessary to make games interesting more than once), there's always the chance that things will just come up in favor of one player every once in a while. It might be that exactly the cards they need are on top of the deck, exactly the widgets they need are pulled from the bag, exactly the buildings they need are flipped over, etc.

Sometimes the stars just align.

But with those scores, it seems like even in this situation, a couple of wrong moves on their part would have made it a very close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Seipert
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
My only issue with them is that the text is so small (both on the cards and especially on the board) that it's difficult to figure out the best option available. Have to constantly review with all players where each card is located on the map.

Great point. Non-coincidentally the player who sat furthest away from the cards was the one who fulfilled 0 orders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
argsei43 wrote:
Couch wrote:

Great point. Non-coincidentally the player who sat furthest away from the cards was the one who fulfilled 0 orders...

I wonder if it might be helpful to find some bits you could put on the current order spots to make them stand out. One way might be ten cubes in five colors. You put one cube on the city and the matching colored cube on the contract card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
argsei43 wrote:
Couch wrote:

I wonder if it might be helpful to find some bits you could put on the current order spots to make them stand out. One way might be ten cubes in five colors. You put one cube on the city and the matching colored cube on the contract card.

That’s exactly what we do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the coloured cube idea, but I just had the thought of using card standees and placing the orders directly on the map.

It might be a bit tight for space, but I'll try it out next time I pull out Orleans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever tried a variant on the order cards to prevent something like what happened here? I was thinking about having the orders and then another row of "future" orders track, unavailable until one is resolved, so that you can have an idea what comes up next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Solipsiste wrote:
Anyone ever tried a variant on the order cards to prevent something like what happened here? I was thinking about having the orders and then another row of "future" orders track, unavailable until one is resolved, so that you can have an idea what comes up next

But what happened here wasn't a huge problem. There was a gap of 20 points between 1st and 2nd, and a gap of 12 points between 2nd and 3rd. It seems like a perfectly normal game. The winner just made their points a different way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.