T Alson
msg tools
https://wizkids.com/2017/11/14/wizkids-expands-licensing-par...

Quote:
November 14, 2017– Hillside, NJ – WizKids, the leader in high-quality pre-painted miniatures and established board games, today revealed plans for an upcoming miniatures line and board game featuring the world-renowned trading card game, Magic: The Gathering. The new IP extends WizKids’ existing licensing partnership with leading game creators Wizards of the Coast, which already includes the famed Dungeons & Dragons.

The announcement combines the expertise of WizKids’ sculpted miniatures with the original Trading Card Game brand recognized the world over, immersing fans in the world of Magic!

The initial pre-painted sculpted miniatures will focus on token creature card favorites, adding a premium touch to the player’s table top experience while the board game will pull from the original trading card lore. Players will play as Planeswalkers, exploring the landscape of Dominaria as they establish connections to their mana sources, gathering power before their opponents do and building their hand of spell cards.

“We’re introducing a long-time, beloved brand to an all new medium,” said Justin Ziran, president of WizKids. “Producing high-quality miniatures and bringing to market captivating board games is at the heart of WizKids. We could not be more excited to extend our relationship with Wizards of the Coast with Magic: The Gathering.”

The new miniatures line and board game are set to release in Fall 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
before people get excited:

“The board game does not share rules or components with MTG: Arena of the Plansewalkers,” the WizKids representative told ICV2 (see “WotC Shares 'Magic' Board Game Title, Art”).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is confirmation that AotP is dead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... Heroscape just is now a unicorn in the wild. I really am let down. You know like when you kid is gonna mow the yard, does half, walks away and it rains with your mower left in the yard.

This was such an easy game to make for and Hasbro just didn't care. All the efforts to make a 2nd base set then.... Literally nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's a dead man walking. I'll subscribe to this thread. Please update if there's any positive news on Wizkids MTG : Planeswalkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping for that!! Whatever wiz kids makes being compatible with AotP would be amazing!... But I doubt that the Hasbro machine will allow that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is interesting though is their description of the upcoming game. Sounds like an old MTG game I used to play the heck out of in PS1. Walking through dominaria, gathering spells and creatures... wait... are they doing Mage Knight TBG, with MTG theme? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Arena of the Plainswalkers is now on sale at several retail locations for $5, I think it is safe to say that it is done for.

I was really hoping that AotP would lead to a revival for Heroscape if ti sold well for them. Whatever this new game is that they come out with, it better be good to cause the second downfall of Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The famous WizKids premium touch

(not excited)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
The famous WizKids premium touch

(not excited)

lol which Wizkids in game paint job is that from ? It looks like an old Richard Branson has gone full 'woodland ranger'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's from Mage Knight Board Game: Shades of Tezla Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
It looks dead. It has been over a year since an expansion. How could they kill it? It is like they took every effort to not make it very engaging. From re-use of characters between sets, lack of terrain or a terrain pack to build decent hills terrain, lack of customisation options or even releasing anything in some unit classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakkaof86 wrote:
It looks dead. It has been over a year since an expansion. How could they kill it? It is like they took every effort to not make it very engaging. From re-use of characters between sets, lack of terrain or a terrain pack to build decent hills terrain, lack of customisation options or even releasing anything in some unit classes.

Probably because mtg players didn’t seem to care for it. The reviews I saw from the mtg community were more or less of the consensus that this was this game was a reskin or a “failed(from what I’ve heard I believe the designer said more or less wotc purposely killed heroscape because they wanted to focus on dnd and mtg)” game so by default it wasn’t really mtg. Now I played mtg a lot in the day and loved heroscape. While I didn’t hate aotpw I will say this, out of the box this game was far less interesting than the first two master sets of heroscape. Since there was no immediate follow up product to enhance the experience of arena I am not surprised the feelings were meh, even now owning all 3 sets I just feel like the game isn’t there and customization is meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
DOAisBetter wrote:
jakkaof86 wrote:

Probably because mtg players didn’t seem to care for it. The reviews I saw from the mtg community were more or less of the consensus that this was this game was a reskin or a “failed(from what I’ve heard I believe the designer said more or less wotc purposely killed heroscape because they wanted to focus on dnd and mtg)” game so by default it wasn’t really mtg. Now I played mtg a lot in the day and loved heroscape. While I didn’t hate aotpw I will say this, out of the box this game was far less interesting than the first two master sets of heroscape. Since there was no immediate follow up product to enhance the experience of arena I am not surprised the feelings were meh, even now owning all 3 sets I just feel like the game isn’t there and customization is meh.

I bet a starwars or lord of the rings license would have worked out better. The Magic IP wasn't really much of a draw for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.