Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So, I just finished a solo game with Tink against the Goblin King, my second game overall after reading the rules and watching Ricky Royal's tutorial/playthrough. Playing on Greenhorn, of course. I always prioritized training points over loot at the beginning and rushed my way to spider bot 2.0 and build 2.0, along with armored plating, protection mode, and alternator, building up my hp, dex, attack, and defense here and there as I went.

Once I had all of those skills, the difficulty of any battle that didn't block me out of my skill die for the first few turns seemed to plummet. I'd position myself to avoid being hit by as many baddies as possible that were above me in the BQ, forcing them to spend their turn moving instead. On my turn I'd prep my spiderbot 2.0 with either armor plating and alternator or armor plating and protection mode as my build 2.0 die allowed, tick up his power to 3 with one dex, deploy him with one dex in such a way that every baddie would prioritize hitting my bot, if necessary burn a dex to get him into that position, and then spend every one of my turns rolling armor plating + alternator/protection mode to keep my bot defended/powered/healed, with me burning my bones as I got them to correct whichever deficiency my accessories weren't covering. Along with those bot skills I would roll however much of my own defense and attack that my remaining dex allowed, throwing our ranged damage and fishing for bones.

I got through the campaign without any knockouts, and was lucky enough to get the King's Care Package encounter which I disarmed and used to blow up his throne at the beginning of the battle, leading to a round 4 victory. Does it sound like I played things correctly? Tink's reference sheet on the bots say that after using the bot die they don't exhaust, but instead go to the prep area until you next "use" the bot. I took that to be next turn, since it also describes using one power point to "use" the bot each turn. I know that the dice would be exhausted if the bot was destroyed and thus unavailable for me to slap onto spiderbot 1.0 the next turn, but, well, it never happened. Got close a couple of times though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, Tink can't do ranged attacks; that might be one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
He's listed as a melee/ranged gearloc on his mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that allows him to set up on a ranged space.
Literally his first entry on his reference under "Critical Tink Details" says that he and his bots attack as melee characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A
msg tools
Only Ranged can attack at range with white dice. Melee/ranged can only attack range with the help of abilities, such as nuggets slingstones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His Ranged attacks are from the Firing Arm (I think it’s called) on his bot, and that’s the only thing that’s Ranged...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A
msg tools
He can throw a wrench at range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Then yes, I played him terribly wrong because I missed that XD That makes protection mode and the hide behind ability so much more important. Well, time to do it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't usually gone defensively with Tink.

I usually go Firing Arm/Air Horn/Alternator/Prodder.

But when playing solo the defensive mode may work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A
msg tools
nobody82b wrote:
I haven't usually gone defensively with Tink.

I usually go Firing Arm/Air Horn/Alternator/Prodder.

But when playing solo the defensive mode may work...

Tink Tank... is a my go to duo build. It is surprising how much he damage he can mitigate with his bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I just barreled through Marrow solo with Tink Tank. Between tanking hits and then kiting with his high dex, I was able to get out of every scrape I got into. And it was really fun to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.