Subject: Thoughts on the most popular games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here on BGG we tend to get our collective feathers most ruffled on the topic of the best games, the top 10, the top 100, how much ratings matter, how much I don't care about ratings, how much I really really don't care about ratings I'm serious now, how much you doth protest too much, the real solution is geekbuddies, and bacon.

But what about the most popular games? Most popular meaning those with the most ratings and the most listed owned copies? These numbers, of course, aren't the same. "Owned" is higher than "rated" because not all owned games are rated. In this post I conflate the numbers because I'm lazy. In my brief thoughts, I also go back and forth between BGG rank (the normal top 10, top 100 etc) and owned/rated rank (meaning the games with most copies listed on BGG). Try not to be confused!

First off, clearly the most owned list on BGG is not the most owned ever. Monopoly is the 55th most owned game on BGG and Chess is 49th. There are far more copies of both games out there in the wild than there are of Agricola or Power Grid. This is a hobbyist web site, not a listing for the general public.

Next, clearly the most owned does not equate with the highest rated. None of the top 10 ranked games are in the top 10 most owned games. To get to a top 10 ranked game you have to go to the top 25th owned game, where you'll find Twilight Struggle (#4), with 29049 voters.

Although not the best rated, generally the most owned/rated games are still well regarded. With exceptions. At #22 most rated/owned you have the stinker Munchkin, rank 3175. And, of course, Monopoly at #55 (20511 owned/rated) is BGG ranked 14580. (Why do so many of us own a game that so many of us hate?)

For those worried about the "cult of the new" note that top top 10 most popular games have publication dates ranging from 1995 to 2010. These are, relatively speaking, oldies.

Looking at it from the other direction, the top 10 BGG ranked game with the fewest ratings is Gloomhaven, ranked 3 with only 5635 votes. A few games in the top 100 BGG ranks have lower vote totals with the lowest vote total going to The 7th Continent (BGG rank 40, vote total a mere 2803).

At the bottom of the top 100 most rated/owned games is #100 Apples to Apples, which is pretty darn popular among normals; 15114 ratings, BGG rank 2897. (The abomination Cards Against Humanity has 15590 ratings (96th most owned), a BGG rank of 2038, and an average rating of 6.15.)

A glance at the top 10 most rated:

Games listed in order of number of ratings
Game - Num voters - Avg Rating - BGG Rank - Year published
Catan - 72152 - 7.24 - 259 - (1995)
Carcassonne - 71788 - 7.43 - 131 - (2000)
Pandemic - 67950 - 7.67 - 64 - (2008)
Dominion - 59322 - 7.68 - 60 - (2008)
7 Wonders - 56203 - 7.82 - 39 - (2010)
Ticket to Ride - 51527 - 7.47 - 113 - (2004)
Agricola - 50680 - 8.04 - 15 - (2007)
Puerto Rico - 50145 - 8.08 - 14 - (2002)
Small World - 46078 - 7.34 - 162 - (2009)
Power Grid - 44222 - 7.93 - 23 - (2004)

Looking at the top 100 most rated games, I own 23 of them. (As compared to owning 31 of the 100 BGG ranked games.) Some of them I own because I think they're great games, of course; others are gateway games (Catan, 7 Wonders, Tsuro); and a couple are just games you have because, I dunno, you're supposed to have those (Chess, Scrabble).

And because people expect a poll...
Poll
How many of the 100 games with the most ratings do you own? (to find the top 100 owned/rated, click on "Browse Games" and then sort by number of voters)
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-99
      387 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got 12... and I think owning that many lost me some hipster cred. cry

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

I've got 12... and I think that many lost me some hipster cred. :cry:

~V

So where does 23 put me hipsterly speaking?!? To make up ground I need to buy a some lumberjack shirts, a hipster skull cap, and start growing a beard. Or dump a bunch of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be easier for people to collate this by first going to

/browse/boardgame?sort=numvoters&sortdir=desc

and finding out what the lowest game is that you own.

Then going here

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/negatrev?sort=numv...

Changing the NEGATREV to your own user in order to see your own games orded by Num Voters. Then just count how many games down your list that game appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 33 of those games - and then there are two that are "previously owned".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I currently own 46, I've previously owned another 40 of them. There's only four games on that list that I haven't played(one of which I own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Veero wrote:

I've got 12... and I think that many lost me some hipster cred. cry

~V

So where does 23 put me hipsterly speaking?!? To make up ground I need to buy a some lumberjack shirts, a hipster skull cap, and start growing a beard. Or dump a bunch of games.

Poll: How Hipster Is Skutsch?
He was hipster before hipster was hipster.
Somewhat. I bet he owns a skinny tie.
Not hipster at all.
If he hugged a hipster, both would disappear from this universe.
      108 answers
Poll created by Veero

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“Skutsch” wrote:
Owned" is higher than "rated" because not all owned games are rated.
Not necessarily higher. I only own 200-something games, but I’ve rated 900-something. Or to rephrase that, I play a lot of games that my friends own, or that I see at conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 on the first page, then realised I have no idea if that is 50 or 100 or 25. So decide too much work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
“Skutsch” wrote:
Owned" is higher than "rated" because not all owned games are rated.
Not necessarily higher. I only own 200-something games, but I’ve rated 900-something. Or to rephrase that, I play a lot of games that my friends own, or that I see at conventions.

In theory, not necessarily, but I've yet to see a game that doesn't have a higher owned number than it's rated number. Ever so hated Monopoly has 20511 rated and 25989 owned. Cards Against Humanity has 15578 rated and 25599 owned. Or how about Pandemic Legacy? You might think a game where one person buys it and then plays it with a group would have more ratings than owned. Nope. 21318 rated; 34712 owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
....63. Do I win something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only own 12, but I myself have played and rated 38 of the 100 most-rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 21 (including all of the top 8!).

This is compared with 17 in the traditional top 100 (with only CoB in the top 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
7 on the first page, then realised I have no idea if that is 50 or 100 or 25. So decide too much work.

It's 100 per page. You can see if you order the page by rank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
46, but there are a few that I own a prior edition to the one listed.

Opposed to 26 in the current Top 100. ( a few I do own a prior edition to)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Don't give a man a fish and he starves and stops bugging you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
I own 21 (including all of the top 8!).

This is compared with 17 in the traditional top 100 (with only CoB in the top 10).

Thinking on that. In theory, isn't is better to own more games that are rated higher, but played by less people, than played by more people, but rated lower?

I know rated isn't the same as owned, but it does imply that those people have played it more. Leading to speculation that the game is more commonly available to be played by any one person as more groups you have access to will have it?

Whereas highly rated games rated by less people suggests it is possible owned less AND not played by as many people who felt they could rate it. This would suggest that possibly there is more value in you personally owning games from the rated list than the voted one wouldn't it?

Of course this also depends on many things like the value of BGG rank, if you value breadth of games over repeat plays and so on whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
negatrev wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Don't give a man a fish and he starves and stops bugging you.

I gave him the fish, and then showed him how I got it. If he still starves, there's no saving him. If he doesn't, I've got a new friend who can catch fish that I can mooch off later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1: Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Veero wrote:

I've got 12... and I think that many lost me some hipster cred. cry

~V

35 of the 100 most owned for me. I've played a additional 31.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Thinking on that. In theory, isn't is better to own more games that are rated higher, but played by less people, than played by more people, but rated lower?

I advise you to not go down that rabbit hole.

It is better to own more games and play more games, ratings be damned either direction.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Does this make me a "sell-out"?

In my defense I've always followed Billboard's Top 100 & my habit for that has invaded my board game hobby....that's why my collection looks like a Pop Music Top 40 list.
whistle

[Edit: I'm pretty sure I'm getting 7 Wonders: Duel & El Grande for Christmas so that'll make it 49]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
16, and I never want Hipster cred! I'm the anti-hipster! (and I did it first!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
negatrev wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's 100 per page. You can see if you order the page by rank :)

£40 also works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb

WOW! I am just following the pack I guess...or maybe you are all following me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.