Hide
6 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Carrier Strike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Clee Krajewska
msg tools
The way I understand it, a Carrier can strike a fleet or air unit in any port or coastal hex as long as there is a Surprise attack marker in the sea zone that they are in.

So if the carrier is in sea zone 1 they could attack in sea zone 30 if there is a surprise attack marker in sea zone 30 ?

It seems so far away from the action to be able to attack.

Thanks Nepty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nepty wrote:
The way I understand it, a Carrier can strike a fleet or air unit in any port or coastal hex as long as there is a Surprise attack marker in the sea zone that they are in.

So if the carrier is in sea zone 1 they could attack in sea zone 30 if there is a surprise attack marker in sea zone 30 ?

It seems so far away from the action to be able to attack.

Thanks Nepty

The Pearl Harbor strike took about two weeks from Japan across the Pacific.

Not sure how that equates to your example, don't have the time to check. However, this is also a matter of rules simplicity. Given a such a strike can travel a long distance and it's very expensive from a production standpoint, I was not too concerned if the range was a bit exaggerated.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Clee Krajewska
msg tools
Thank you Sal for your response.

We were not at war with Japan before Pearl Harbor so they could have taken all the time they want. Once we declared war we would have intercepted and possibly interdicted like at Midway. It would not have been as easy for a surprise but I understand now the reasoning behind the rule.

Thank You.

Nepty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nepty wrote:
We were not at war with Japan before Pearl Harbor so they could have taken all the time they want. Once we declared war we would have intercepted and possibly interdicted like at Midway. It would not have been as easy for a surprise but I understand now the reasoning behind the rule.

Thank You.

Nepty

Good point. I think when I get deeper into the Pacific version, this is a rule that may be modified when I have a better feel for how this would play out more often in war time. For now, though, I think the Surprise Attack element works.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
svasta wrote:
... when I get deeper into the Pacific version...
Sal

surprise

(crowd goes crazy, standing ovation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nepty wrote:
Thank you Sal for your response.

Thank You.

Nepty

Midway should probably be read as the exception rather than the rule, owing to particularly effective code-breaking coupled with a Japanese intent to force a fleet action anyway. Most Pacific carrier raids were not intercepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.