The Battle for Normandy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule 18.2 Stacking during Landing Phases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Hon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first game Bloody Omaha, and need clarifications. According to rule excerpt below, HQ, recon and artillery units are placed alone in landing phase 1, but the 3 companies stacking limit suggests HQ and Recon can advance in phase 2 and 3 and stack with Infantry or Armor units subject to 3 companies stacking limit. Can someone clarify?

"Stacking in Assault Hexes: During the June 6 Invasion Turn, each Assault Hex in the Landing Queue has a stacking limit of 3 companies or one battalion. Once placed, these are the only units that may land during the landing sequence."

"Other Units in Assault Hexes: Headquarters and units such as Recon and Artillery that are placed into the Assault Hexes may only land in a Beach hex that is not adjacent to any enemy unit or Strongpoint. They are placed alone and are not broken down for landing, and artillery units are flipped to their “MOVED” side (even if mechanized.) Both may stack as they move up in the queue."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qqq1970 wrote:
Playing my first game Bloody Omaha, and need clarifications. According to rule excerpt below, HQ, recon and artillery units are placed alone in landing phase 1, but the 3 companies stacking limit suggests HQ and Recon can advance in phase 2 and 3 and stack with Infantry or Armor units subject to 3 companies stacking limit. Can someone clarify?

"Stacking in Assault Hexes: During the June 6 Invasion Turn, each Assault Hex in the Landing Queue has a stacking limit of 3 companies or one battalion. Once placed, these are the only units that may land during the landing sequence."

"Other Units in Assault Hexes: Headquarters and units such as Recon and Artillery that are placed into the Assault Hexes may only land in a Beach hex that is not adjacent to any enemy unit or Strongpoint. They are placed alone and are not broken down for landing, and artillery units are flipped to their “MOVED” side (even if mechanized.) Both may stack as they move up in the queue."

My interpretation is that these units need to stack alone in the landing queue during the Invasion turn, but they stack normally with whatever else once they hit the beach, based on their printed stacking value. I'd go by unit size as printed on the counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Hon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is clear once they land on the beach - 6 stacking points. Only during landing phase 2 and 3 of the invasion turn I am confused. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain Ardwulf is correct. It would depend of course on what size the arty units are. It's been a while so I don't recall whether they sre batteries or battalions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Hon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most artillery are battalion units so those are not ambiguous. It is only HQ and recon units which are company units that could become confusing in landing phase 2 and 3. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.