Subject: About those early ratings... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the average rating looked a bit suspicious. Then I looked at them more closely. Almost every single rating is provided by a user who has rated only one game. Including one guy who commented that the game would 'revolutionize tabletop gameplay.' Did the developers bribe people to make accounts, rate & comment? Is this normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Is this normal?
In the sense that 'should it work like this'? No.
In the sense that 'does it usually work like this'? Yes, as most (all?) rating systems on the interwebz do.
I did not look at the ratings of this one but there are many(-MANY) examples here on BGG with similar symptoms. And more than a few threads discussing it.
Imho, simply ignore those numbers under a certain amount of votes (at least 1k or so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
AEG has a strict policy against farming ratings on BGG. We ask our playtesters, Vanguards and friends to rate our games but we don’t ask them to rate at a specific value nor are there any rewards or compensation for giving our games high ratings, or rating at all. We believe our games earn the ratings they display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason La Mar
United States
hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not sure if I’m one of them because I don’t rate games often... but in general I do love this game and want it to get as much hype as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter to me whether drive-by voters are true shills or not, I ignore them. If I don't know who it is that's giving the rating, and why they gave it, why would I pay it any attention? The fact they count in the General Ratings is one of several reasons I give those numbers no credence.

The way to get worthwhile feedback on this site is to build a GeekBuddy list of gamers whose opinions you respect. Doing so is an investment in time that repays itself many times over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Merlonghi
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Cutthroat Kingdoms releasing from AEG in 2017! Get Med-Evil!
badge
"Let tidings of fortune reign upon your house for a hundred years."
mbmbmbmbmb
My only answer to this thread is that every voter was 100% authentic in their rating. Nothing was framed, however I ALWAYS encourage people who have purchased the game to consider rating it.

Authenticity is one of the most important things to me in this life, and I appreciate the fact that every person has authentically rated this game without being a.) paid, b.) encouraged to do so otherwise.

Often people either think this game is the best thing they've ever played, or it's just not for them. And I think that really does reflect in the ratings accurately.

Thanks for keeping things clean on here! Vote away, in whatever way you may prefer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.