Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire has always been a favorite of mine, not because it's the best game, nor because it's flawless in it's rules and game play, but because it gives the player the feeling of ancient Roman conquest while keeping the game simple enough for the family to play. Conquest of the Empire is a game about Roman Civil War, where each player declares himself Caesar, and then wars against the other to see who will rule the Roman world.

The game, if you can find a copy, should include a large board that displays Roman territories of the 3nd century, along with a simple enonomic system printed on it. Included are enough pieces in different colors to equiped each player with 1 Caesar, 6 generals, and 6 ships. Also, included is 60 infantry, 30 cavalry, and 20 catapult pieces that are colored silver/gold/gold which are used by all the players to represent thier armed forces, and cream colored roads, cities, and fortifications.

The rules are quite simple, to be able to move your armies you must have a general, and a army may not be more that 7 combat units, collectivly called a Legion. A here's the rub, a general can only move one army at a time and the general is needed to attack and or conquer a territory. If you run out of Generals, due to them being captured in battle, you will not be able to move your forces unless you use your Caesar. Using your Caesar is a dangerous gamble, because if you lose your Caesar, you lose the game.

The economic system is very simple, each time a player reaches a certain level of Tribute (money), inflation set in after his turn is compleated, leaving all the players to have to pay more to hire new troops and build new cities and fortifications. Tribute is gathered by counting the numbers printed in each territory the player owns, along with the cities and fortified cities he or she owns. Roads are used to move troops quickly between cities. A cities plays a important role not only because they collect tribute, but because they act as a garrison for a Legion. (a garrisoned Legion may remain in the territory without a general).

All these things I mentioned above will led to some delightful gaming, and the games can be quite long if the players constantly make prisoner exchanges and pay bribes to each other. I suggest if you would like a much faster game, to not give back captured generals.

Now for the downside, as mention in other articles, the combat system is flawed in two main ways, One, the catapult rules as written makes them overpowerful, and Two, the combat itself is slow and dull. As the system is written you target a enemy unit add any bonuses you have and if you roll the number you need or greater the target unit is destroyed, then you opponent does the same, back and forth, until the attacker retreats or, one side or the other is wiped out. Catapults and fortifications give bonuses to the die roll. Just about every fan of this game has thier own fix for the combat rules. Some very simple other quite something all together!! I have a article here on this site with my idea on how the combat system should work.

Even with it's flawed system of combat, Conquest of the Empire is still a fine game, and highly sought after in the secondary market. Eagle games have stated that they will re-release the game with a fixed combat system, and new ways to play this classic in 2005. If you like a more historical version of this game, I highly recommend Ralph Boerke's version called Caesar and Satraps.

Good gaming!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Daniel
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:User Review
Da Black Gobo (#30599),

Hello. This is my first post on this site. I agree that Conquest of the Empire was a fine game. The main reason I don't call it excellent is simply because my discovery of it was sandwiched between Axis And Allies and Fartress America, both of which are DEFINTELY excellent. C of the E pales in comparison, but in its own right, it is a good fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Battle
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
Food (#49742),
Fartress America stunk!

(just kidding, I couldn't resist)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Daniel
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jake Battle (#49776),

Thanks for the ANALysis of my dumb typo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Da Black Gobo wrote:
If you like a more historical version of this game, I highly recommend Ralph Boerke's version called Caesar and Satraps.

Fans of Ralph Boerke's excellent historical expansion map of the late Roman Empire will be saddened to learn that Mr. Boerke died back in April of this year. I'm no longer able to log onto his former www.generalsofwaterloo.com website, either, which seems to further the confirm the veracity of the matter.

The following funeral-home link of http://www.erbgood.com/Obituary.php?id=4050 is based near his Canadian home.

I had the luck to speak by phone with Ralph Boerke in mid-summer 2007 when I purchased his expansion maps for both "Risk" and "Conquest of the Empire" and his "Axis & Allies" expansion cards. Mr. Boerke told me he was even then still recovering from a bout with cancer which he hoped would remain in remission.

I was very pleased with the maps which Mr. Boerke produced as they were imperially grand, epic and expansive. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to speak personally with Mr. Boerke as he was an avid gamer and was receptive to my suggestions about other maps I'd like to see him design for other games like "Risk 2210 A.D."

Although his expansions will be sorely missed, I will cherish mine all the moreso now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.