Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please excuse my confusion. Has there been only one release of this game? I don't see any 2nd edition mentioned anywhere, but it does appear that GMT recently released updated rules. Is this correct?

If so, then is there any problem of considering the purchase of the game in what the marketplace is calling "1st edition" versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
You just would be advised to download the new rules. GMT printed some out for sale, but I think they sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you are correct. There has only been one release of this game.

However, there has been a release of the 2nd edition rules. You can download the rules from GMT's website.

If you want the game, you will have to purchase a 1st edition version, because that's all that's out there. You may then need to download and print out a copy of the current rules.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add that the 1st edition is complete and has everything you need to play with the 2nd edition rules, except a physical copy of the rules themselves, and some updates to the Player Aid.

Both can be downloaded here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-653-the-us-civil-war-2nd-edition-r...

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Edition is a term GMT used in marketing the rules reprint.

Technically, the rules are the August 2017 update to the 1st Edition Rules and that is what they indicate on their front page.

I expect PDFs of both the August 2017 Rules and the August 2017 PAC will be posted by Mark shortly on CSW and the GMT website.

In the interim, the May 2017 versions can be used, which are the same as the August 2017 versions except for two additional changes made in August (specifically, 3-Star Generals cannot be placed on Islands or Coastal Forts when they arrive; and St. Louis is now the only Border State Port that can be a source of Union Naval Control).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! GMT is a terrific company, but the most recent release was a bit confusing to me. Mark Simonitch is one of my favorite boardgame designers, so I'm still dumbfounded as to why I passed up the purchase of this particular game! At least I got Holland '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.