Hide
13 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Usefulness of neoprene character mats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Would any owners of the neoprene character mats please comment on their in-game usefulness please? So far I have read 2 contradictory views so am looking for more data points. Please chip in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're neat looking and I like them but I have stopped using them. Some of the areas aren't large enough. For example, the Abilities area is not tall or wide enough for two ability cards to go next to each other, even though every single character starts with two abilities. The Backpack area also gives misleading information about the number of items you can carry. it also doesn't have two spaces for rings and not enough room to set two rings side by side. There are a few other problems I found with them but can't remember.

But mostly it boiled down to table space: I wanted more of it and unless your character is fully decked out with wearable items, the neoprene mat is a lot of empty space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Well while i agree on the point of table space and lot of empty spaces i also use the mats to write down on character sheets and i also store the dice pool of each character on his mat as well (bought a dice pack for each character in different color so everyone got his own colored dice) and last i also roll dice on the mat its also quite nice.

I would definitely buy them again since the table looks neat and clean using them :-)

Cheers
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use mine as a back drop for the single page character sheet Zee posted with cards next to it. This allowed me to stop using the character card and the fiddly trackers as a bonus!

Where they were nice was having a spot for tokens like infection, boons, and consumables.

Overall they look nice but unless you have a huge table, they don't seem to help much. And as others said, they aren't quite big enough to hold the cards you end up carrying anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dunbruha jones
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puckstop98 wrote:
I use mine as a back drop for the single page character sheet Zee posted with cards next to it. This allowed me to stop using the character card and the fiddly trackers as a bonus!

Where they were nice was having a spot for tokens like infection, boons, and consumables.

Overall they look nice but unless you have a huge table, they don't seem to help much. And as others said, they aren't quite big enough to hold the cards you end up carrying anyway.

I am also trying to decide if I should get the mats. If I were to not get them, and use the single page character sheet Zee posted, would I need the equipment pack as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need the card pack? Technically no. That would be true with or without the character mats.

I'm getting the equipment pack but mostly so I have cards of all of the items. Yeah, it's silly when the game is essentially half RPG but I like consistency - and in this case items in this game have cards, so the "special" items should also have cards. It also makes it easier for when you exhaust or break an item to flip the card over as opposed to make notes, erase notes, wear out your character sheet, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dunbruha wrote:
puckstop98 wrote:

I am also trying to decide if I should get the mats. If I were to not get them, and use the single page character sheet Zee posted, would I need the equipment pack as well?

I would highly recommend getting the equipment pack regardless of whether or not you get the player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the player mats, they are beautiful, but they are not very useful. The stuff that usually takes up more space are abilities and items and tokens, but they don't have enough space allocated to them. The stuff that is harder to fill - all the specific gear - is usually empty.

They didn't get any real functional design during development it seems, as during real play you'd want more usefulness from a player mat - not just a loose organization space. You'd want to set if item is two-handed or not, so it's not forgotten. You'd want enough space for abilities as well as marking when something rotates. You would not want much empty space in order to save table space etc.

These player mats are too big for the little function they offer. I'd skip them had I known this.

BUT! The cheap mystery box player boards are actually functionally more useful. They replace tracker cards for characters in an okay manner and they come with cardboard tokens for positive and negative statuses. But they aren't available again, I suppose (and were more expensive anyway).

Then there's also the annoying typo of Right and Left hands being swapped on player mats, but that's minor issue and you won't notice it if both hands are filled on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dunbruha jones
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love mine.
I`m in mid-campaign and they keep thing neat.
I would have remove abilities and backpack from it though, because
1. abilities need a LOT more space that the space they gave it.
2. backpack space is really no needed.

I would have place space for tokens, which is what the abilities space is going to end up being for me at the end. A space for my homemade tokens for abilities.

but other that above, I like how it works to keep all my items in check.

My advice would be, if you have the table space go for it. We have a 7x3.5 table and is just me and my bf; so having this mat + character sheet over the character card + tokens infront of us with the booklet on the side next to the town reference card is more than fine

DyingTickles wrote:
...it also doesn't have two spaces for rings and not enough room to set two rings side by side..

I admit, it might have mislead me here. 2 rings? I thought you could only equip 1 ring.
thanks

EDIT: ps I have had the problem of the gear space being mostly empty, maybe I just got lucky. But I have leg, 1 2H weapon, head, chest, 1ring, amulet and I just finish story 4.

EDIT2
dunbruha wrote:
puckstop98 wrote:

what is this character sheet Zee posted that you guys are talking about?
I have being in Limbo for a while, cant find any.

sighs, and I hope is not the one that would end up using considering I just spend a while modifying the BGG user character sheet to my like LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dunbruha jones
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
what is this character sheet Zee posted that you guys are talking about?
I have being in Limbo for a while, cant find any.

sighs, and I hope is not the one that would end up using considering I just spend a while modifying the BGG user character sheet to my like LOL

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1883069/solo-character-reco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:
...it also doesn't have two spaces for rings and not enough room to set two rings side by side..

I admit, it might have mislead me here. 2 rings? I thought you could only equip 1 ring.

I didn't remember seeing anything limiting rings in the rule book and the character sheet in the rule book and purchasable packs has two ring spots, so I thought it was limited to two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them, with the Mystery box tracker right next to it. I love it. It does take up space, but that is not an issue for me. If space is an issue, you may want to skip them, but otherwise, I think they are very cool and match the aesthetic of the oversized map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.