Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be fun to try painting the miniatures in a style that matches the original artwork as closely as possible. The character art uses a lot of unusual, de-saturated colours, making it quite challenging.

First, I cleaned up the models a bit, filing or cutting off any visible mold lines. Usually PVC minis like this don't file very cleanly, so I only filed where it was absolutely necessary. I also filled in a little round spot inside the witch hunter's cape with some Liquid Green Stuff.

I like the bases to have some texture before the painting begins. I put a few drops of super glue on the bases and then added a few bits of crushed plaster (leftover from other projects) to the bases. You can also use tiny stones or whatever you like. After that, I applied some watered down tacky glue with an old brush. Then I dipped the models in sand and shook off the excess. After the glue dries, remove any unwanted grains of sand with a needle. A bit of sand on the feet usually looks okay, but not on the clothing.

Then I sprayed the minis with a flat white spray paint.

After the white paint dries, I cover each miniature with a tiny plastic bag. This will mask off the entire model except for the base.

Then I spray the models again with a flat black spray paint. This will leave the entire model white except for the base and feet, which will speed things up later on. Next it's on to the painting.

I started out by giving the main areas a basecoat. For the archaeologist's coat I used a very watered-down basecoat of Steel Legion Drab initially so the details would still show through. This tends to look quite "splotchy," so after it dried, I gave it another thin coat. For the "shadowy" areas, like the area between the legs, I used this colour mixed with Abaddon Black. I also used this black/brown mix for the pants as I wanted them to be somewhat distinct from the coat. I used Purple mixed with Mahogany Brown for the archaeologist's vest, and a bit of Hormagaunt Purple (this is an older paint; not sure what the new one is called) for the bit of his shirt that's visible.

I gave the arcanist's dress a coat of watered-down Black Red initially. I found some full-length pictures of the characters on the Folklore Kickstarter and discovered the arcanist's dress had a slight ombré effect near the bottom, so I mixed some Kantor Blue in with the Black Red and applied that to the bottom of the dress. The arcanist's cape was done with two coats of Cavalry Brown; a very reddish brown.

The bases were given a fairly heavy coat of Rhinox Hide. I watered it down just enough to allow it to fill in all the base texture. It's important to ensure no white spots are showing through.

After all this dried, I prepared a pale skin tone by mixing Beasty Brown and Ivory. This is a simple way to make a nice, not-too-pink skin tone. You can adjust the mix to make it as light or dark as you like.

Next, I gave all of the clothing a wash with a mix of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil. I thought the Earthshade on its own might not be quite "shadowy" enough. It's still partially wet in these photos. Note how it really brings out some detail in the back of the archaeologist's coat.

Next I painted in the hair, using Codex Grey for the archaeologist and Chocolate Brown for the arcanist. I also mixed a tiny bit of Ivory in the base colour and then painted in a few highlights. A few streaks of this mix help to really define the archaeologist's silvery hair. I also splashed in a little Nuln Oil to help define the arcanist's hair where it meets the hood.

Here I've drybrushed the bases with Sand Yellow, using a small, flat brush to bring out the texture of the base. I should have done this sooner, as you really don't want to get yellow on the clothes at this point! I also gave the hands and faces a wash of Ogryn Flesh. Especially around the eye sockets, this really helps to define the facial features. The hands are poorly defined on these miniatures, so the wash doesn't work so great on them. We'll try to refine them a bit later.

Now it's time to paint in the weapons, using Ironbreaker for her dagger and a mix of black and Chocolate Brown for the whip. By watering down the paint a bit more than usual, the texture of the whip will show through. I also picked out the cap and ring on the whip with the metallic colour and the medallion and buttons on the arcanist's dress.

Here we're picking out a few more details, specifically the belt and pouch for the archaeologist and the belt and feathers on the arcanist, using a mix of Mechanicus Standard Grey/Chocolate Brown/Ivory for him, and Flat Earth for her. I also picked out buttons on the archaeologist's coat and vest with Ironbreaker. Giving the metallic bits a wash of Nuln Oil will make them look much smoother and give them better definition.

At this point, you can probably stop and skip ahead to the final basing section below, but if you're a slightly more experienced painter and want to add more definition to the figures you can go ahead with the next steps.

In this step, I'm adding a few highlights to lighten up the face and hands on both figures, simply using a mix of Ivory and Beasty Brown again, but with much more Ivory than before. I also added a tiny bit of Mephiston Red into that same mix to pick out the lips on the arcanist. Subtletly is important here! Start with a very small brush and stop when you think it looks good. I usually like to paint in the eyes, but I thought it would look too goofy on these figures. I painted just a tiny bit of black into the top of the eye sockets.

Finally, I'm doing a phase of touch ups and final highlights. Using a mix of the original base colour(s) and Ivory, I added a few little highlights to some of the more prominent areas, such as the folds in the cape, hood, pants and coat. It's not terribly important, but it gives them a little more pop. I also did some very thin blacklining with watered-down black paint and an extremely thin brush. I use this to help define and separate the sections of the figure; for example, between the vest and the coat, or between the hand and the cuff on the coat. Again, don't over do it. Blacklining needs to be thin and subtle or it will look awkward and cartoonish.

For the final basing, I re-painted the black edge of the base to neaten it up after all the paint was completely dry. Even though Kremel is a dark and forboding place, the map tiles depict plenty of lush green foliage. I used a mix of green foam, lichen and static grass, glued onto the base with watered-down tacky glue (applied with an old brush). These materials are available at craft stores, hobby stores, dollar stores.

Finally, they're ready for their close-ups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Re: Working on step by step painting guides: first up, the archaeologist and arcanist.
This is outstanding and i would love to be able to do the same :-) man how that game would come out if all minis would be painted that awesome... It is simply perfect in my opinion.
The matt glance and the dulled colors this looks so awesome man. And here one can see how detailed those minis really are.

Thx for sharing
All the best
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
Re: Working on step by step painting guides: first up, the archaeologist and arcanist.
Little red riding hood.. all growed up and killin' big bad wolves.. I like it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
I thought it would be fun to try painting the miniatures in a style that matches the original artwork as closely as possible. The character art uses a lot of unusual, de-saturated colours, making it quite challenging.

REALLY loving the step by step shots, this should really help anyone else wishing to take a stab at painting their figs as well.

GREAT JOB! Hope you can do more of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks; I will definitely do the other heroes, it's just a matter of when. I'm usually too busy painting for other people. Only rarely do I get to do something fun like this for myself.

Also I don't think I've seen anyone else paint them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.