Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The information below is pulled from the publisher website. This is kind of a "P400" to get published so I am hoping to raise awareness to see if others are interested.

The new and final game by Mikugames will be called:
“THE SOVIET 1941 THEATER OF WAR”.
If Mikugames first game (series) was considered to be fairly obscure (The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945) and the second game to be very obscure (TORNIO ’44), the final game will be about Operation Barbarossa 1941. This topic has been portrayed many times and by many game companies already. My apologies for choosing this overused subject but a couple of books just got me inspired. The game will, however, differ from other east front games on several rather unique features.

LIST OF CONTENT:
1 Rules Manual (8 pages)
2 Order of Battle Cards (Axis & Soviet)
2 Force Display Sheets (Axis & Soviet)
1 Countersheet (228 die-cut counters).
2 Maps - Main Front & Finnish Front. It will be possible to play either front, or both fronts at the same time (As a reference, the Main Front map will have the same size as the TORNIO ’44 map. The Finnish Front map will be smaller).
2 Regular six-sided dice.
Game Box (As a reference, the game box will have the same size as the TORNIO ’44 game).

FEATURES:
UNIT SCALE: Main Front - Corps & Armies; Finnish Front – Divisions.
MAP SCALE: 50 kilometers (31 miles) per hex.
TIME SCALE: 1 month per Game Turn divided into 1―6 Periods each.
PLAYERS: 2―4 (with also a solitaire possibility).
PLAYING TIME: Uncertain at this point, maybe 4―6 hours.
COMPLEXITY: 3 on a scale from 1 to 10.
RECOMMENDED AGE: 12 years and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any people play these games (The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1), etc.) ?

No reviews or session reports on BGG as far as I can tell, hardly any ratings ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Do any people play these games (The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1), etc.) ?

No reviews or session reports on BGG as far as I can tell, hardly any ratings ...

Well, I'll be 'first in' with the obvious counterpoint - BGG is not necessarily the center of the wargaming universe! Perhaps ask the same question on Consimworld and a different answer might emerge! I actually don't know the answer myself and I'm too lazy to check CSW at the moment, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Well, I'll be 'first in' with the obvious counterpoint - BGG is not necessarily the center of the wargaming universe! Perhaps ask the same question on Consimworld and a different answer might emerge! I actually don't know the answer myself and I'm too lazy to check CSW at the moment, but still...

A few scenarios and campaigns seem to have been played, but the posts are mostly about clarifications demands, errata, and a promised Version 2.0 of the rules since 2015 but not materialized yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a review of TORNIO '44: https://corporalfrisk.com/2017/04/07/review-tornio-44/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
What are the unique features. having a map and bunch of counters are not unique to your game - what makes this stand out from teh multitude of other East Front games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
What are the unique features. having a map and bunch of counters are not unique to your game - what makes this stand out from teh multitude of other East Front games?

It is certainly a fair question though substantive differences don't necessarily show up in a list of the game components. A different designer's perspective and all that that entails for mechanics, victory conditions, etc. can be and often is more than enough, in my opinion.

You would, of course, get a much better answer from the designer but for me it is this: Eastern Front game that gives the option to fight on one or two fronts (with two different maps) and all within a manageable footprint. The rules being so brief gives me pause but not enough to steer me away. I still want to try it.

The big attraction to me is that one of the fronts is the Finnish Front. WW II and Finland: I'm there. That will carry varying amounts of weight (or none) with other folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Sorry

I misread your post and thought you were involved in the production of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Sorry

I misread your post and thought you were involved in the production of the game.

I certainly sound like enough of a cheerleader with my post to easily give that impression, so no worries. I just love me some Finnish Front games and want to give this game some exposure- both selfishly so I can get my game and because I think this designer is deserving yet often flies under the radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
... because I think this designer is deserving yet often flies under the radar.

I'm often astonished at the frankly amateurish behavior of many small publishers - as if just designing and producing the physical game is enough to run a business. Promoting your designs, getting to know your (potential) customers, blogging, interacting - they all seem dirty words, not to be even contemplated. They don't have time for that ... read : don't care.

Well, if you just design stuff for the fun of it and release it as a PnP, that's one thing - but if you're actually trying to create a business and want people to pay good money for it, you better start to act professionally and run it as a business - which includes PR.

... and it's so easy in the board wargame world : just have a presence on just a couple of websites / forums and you're reaching 99% of your worldwide target audience. What other business do you know where it's that easy ? My employer is literally spending millions to reach maybe 1% of their target audience in a very limited geographical area.

End of rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as Mikugames sold out of the first three volumes and its never to be reprinted, I guess he reached the audience size he needed and saved himself some time and money on that 'PR' thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMP wrote:
Well as Mikugames sold out of the first three volumes and its never to be reprinted, I guess he reached the audience size he needed and saved himself some time and money on that 'PR' thing?

"NOTE! This time I will need at least 400 paid pre-orders before I can start the printing process because I don’t have the capability to take any loan which has been the case with my previous games."

With a business that is going that well, I guess he doesn't need to do this "PR thing"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm, right.

There I was thinking he might not be able to take out a loan for myriad reasons away from and despite the business. Or maybe not wanting to pay interest on a loan that cuts into probably small profits of the game.

All sold is all sold. I'll let you rant on as you explained at the end of the first post fella and continue to give your business advice to one who sells all his games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Internet rule #37 : pointing out leaky pipes on the internet will inevitably lead to someone else pointing out that the plumber who installed them is still in business and questioning your expertise in detecting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
TheMP wrote:

"NOTE! This time I will need at least 400 paid pre-orders before I can start the printing process because I don’t have the capability to take any loan which has been the case with my previous games."

With a business that is going that well, I guess he doesn't need to do this "PR thing"

That whooshing sound? That's you missing the point entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there some other publisher that does a similar thing? I think their quota is 500 orders though. Gack, for the life of me I can't remember their name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
The information below is pulled from the publisher website. This is kind of a "P400" to get published so I am hoping to raise awareness to see if others are interested.

Since you are posting this on the BGG wargame subdomain, my guess is that you want to reach out to the audience here.

Many people (like me) follow wargame activities only on BGG, and don't have neither the time nor the interest to go on other websites.

One of the best ways to generate interest is to post sessions, reviews, and ratings of previous wargames on BGG, so that people can get a better idea of the quality of the ideas of the designer and other important details.

A track record, if you will.

Don't forget that there are already dozens of wargames already on Operation Barbarossa. It will take something really exceptional coming from a small, unknown company, to generate any interest about this.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Isn't their some other publisher that does a similar thing? I think their quota is 500 orders though. Gack, for the life of me I can't remember their name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
The owner does not allow Vassal and only accepts upfront payments--both are somewhat off-putting, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
TheMP wrote:

I believe he printed a much higher number of Tornio '44 and he still has many, many copies left.

He's not the first, nor will he be the last one-man wargame company to misjudge the demand for a product and lose a significant amount of money in the process. I think the new P400 model for what I believe he said will be his last game is his solution to avoid a repeat of Tornio. But four hundred pre-orders, that would be a huge number for a small, mostly unknown company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattes wrote:

Nice review, by the way.

EDIT: The only review of this game on BGG is also positive, and there are more ratings of Tornio '44 then there are of the other individual MikuGames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Mallet wrote:
Hattes wrote:

Nice review, by the way.

And nice site with lots of interesting content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugmenot wrote:
TheMP wrote:

I believe he printed a much higher number of Tornio '44 and he still has many, many copies left.

He's not the first, nor will he be the last one-man wargame company to misjudge the demand for a product and lose a significant amount of money in the process. I think the new P400 model for what I believe he said will be his last game is his solution to avoid a repeat of Tornio. But four hundred pre-orders, that would be a huge number for a small, mostly unknown company.

Yeah, if only there was a way to get as many wargamers as possible to know about this game, a way to inform potential customers of its existence. A way to communicate and show people. Sadly, there's no such thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
TheMP wrote:

That whooshing sound? That's you missing the point entirely.

Check your sarcasm detector because I think the batteries ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saxon 357
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Mikugames Game Thread first showed up in New Products Announcements Forum on Nov. 1st. page 19 (also with some "chat battle" angry). I personally enjoy most a Low Complex East Front Game...roll the tanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.