Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yu Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm kinda struggling.

Hinting blue will likely result in opponent playing the 5. which loses us 1 point

Hinting 2 will possibly result in opponent playing the 2. which loses us 4 points.

Hinting 5 will possibly result the same as hinting 2.

I'm thinking about hinting green or hinting 3. but not sure if the opponent could understand what I'm trying to say..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I would hint blue.

You do not want your opponent to discard neither the 5 nor the 2. Since there is a 2 blue in the discard, I don't see why he would play or discard either of those. Since he would surely not discard any of the others either, I guess he would hint you back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hint white or green, giving him a card that can be safely discarded, hoping for more options with the next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would hint blue. Your teammate should be good enough to consider the possibility that they have 5 and 2.

They clue back and then I clue white so that they discard w4.

sunfantasy wrote:
Hinting 2 will possibly result in opponent playing the 2. which loses us 4 points.
This shows you guys need to practice more. A clue containing the chop card shouldn’t generally be considered a play clue, because if the clue is not given, the card will be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd also hint blue. Any clue to your chop card should be saved if there is a possible card it matches that you're trying to save. It is a lot safer to assume save, even if it is playable, than it is to strike on the last copy of a card. It doesn't take very many times of that happening to somebody before they learn not to do it.

Obviously we don't see everything that led up to this, but I also wouldn't have got so many cards clued in their hand that aren't important yet. That also would have helped in this situation. If the green and blue 3s had never been clued, you wouldn't be in a tough situation. I realize that can't always be helped, but the style that a lot of people play on boardgamearena I think causes cards to be saved unnecessarily. I haven't played there for a while, but if I remember correctly, a hint on color will likely get a play, whereas a hint on number would get a save, when clued on multiple cards including the chop. Either that, or visa versa. I think this is very limiting, pretty arbitrary in which one is a play vs a save, and leads to a lot of cards saved that you don't care about yet. I'd expect that it is that type of play that got into this current situation, since I see 3 saved cards that could be discarded. It is also probably why you're scared to clue blue, because that would typically generate a play under those conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
5 clue saves all cards to the right and is best option here.

This sounds like an artificial convention at a glance, but after you play 1000 2pl games you will see it as most logical way to save important cards.

It is criminal that w4 is already marked, assumingly to get m4 played. M4 should have been clued with color, probably green.

Follow my 2pl guide to get 30 consistently. Logic first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Ben Small. In my group, we have come to the convention that if you hint a save clue to any other card other then the chop card it means that the cards to the right including the card hinted are all save cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:
I would agree with Ben Small. In my group, we have come to the convention that if you hit a save clue to any other card other then the chop card it means that the cards to the right including the card hinted are all save cards.

What is considered a save clue then? If a clue to the middle of your hand can sometimes be a save, I see that as limiting a lot of clues. In this case, there is a playable 5. So, why would getting a 5 clue be considered a save rather than a play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! I wrote this response like 3 times and kept hitting a link before posting it.

In short, Hylas doesn't that the 5 is playable. Midaco needs to save both the blue 2 and blue 5. In my group the convention is to use a number clue to save a card. Usually you would clue the number of the card that is the oldest card in a player's hand.

This 5 clue to Midaco is not the oldest card in hand means that all unknown card to the right needs to be saved. In this case you could surmise that the unknown card is either the yellow 4, green 4, blue 2 or white 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:
Argh! I wrote this response like 3 times and kept hitting a link before posting it.

In short, Hylas doesn't that the 5 is playable. Midaco needs to save both the blue 2 and blue 5. In my group the convention is to use a number clue to save a card. Usually you would clue the number of the card that is the oldest card in a player's hand.

This 5 clue to Midaco is not the oldest card in hand means that all unknown card to the right needs to be saved. In this case you could surmise that the unknown card is either the yellow 4, green 4, blue 2 or white 3.

If you always have to save a card by cluing number, doesn't that leave you with a lot of unnecessary cards clued in players' hands? I have never understood why people like this convention. Sometimes a number clue is the best clue to give when you want somebody to play. Why make this arbitrary rule and limit yourself? Also, why doesn't clue color mean to save? Especially when you are playing with multis being clued as every color, that would make more sense to me than number. Because in that case, I can save a bunch of multis along with another color if needed.

In the end, I still prefer to save a card by whatever clue is best at the time (color or number) and the same with trying to get somebody to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.