Subject: Really considering selling my copy the moment it arrives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not because of a paranoia of possible damaged or missing pieces like many people seem to be complaining about.

I mainly got this game to play solo; there's no way my group will want to play this and only this. Now that I really look over my collection and see all the games I can play solo and still love playing, and because my heart and soul currently belongs to Arkham Horror LCG, I'm starting to see no reason to have Gloomhaven. I don't want to be swayed into owning a game just because of popularity either. Plus, that money could be used to get more AH Mythos packs.

I'll keep the solo scenario book and removable sticker sheet, just in case I do get it again in the future. (Unless I don't get rid of it at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, nice of you to share your thoughts, but did you really had to?

I mean, I'm planning on taking a nap today, but you won't see me opening a post to tell you all...

Oh, and I will probably sell Ginkgopolis and its expansion, but I won't open a post either!

Sorry for the "mean" answer, but I do not understand your need to share that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's a public thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:

Well, to be fair, it wasn't until you made it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I plan to sell some of those Rising Sun exclusive miniatures once it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LineOf7s wrote:
StarryAqua wrote:

Well, to be fair, it wasn't until you made it so.

Because it's a public SITE, than. Boom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say this sounds very strange. Yeah, you might pick up a tidy profit selling it now, of course, but that is likely to drop very soon as retail outlets are going to get it and several sites are already doing preorders. You might even sell it at a loss. Then, if you decide to reacquire it in the future after it's gone out of print, you'll be stuck paying eBay prices, much like the $219 it's showing at the top here as of this post. I'd hold on to it, in shrink wrap, and if after a few months you still have no desire to play it, go ahead and sell it. I mean, if you hadn't bought it and were having second thoughts about hunting it down, I'd say don't buy it. But since you already spent the money, and would have to go through the hassle of unloading it, why not hold onto it? And have you asked your group if they'd like to play it, or are you simply assuming they won't like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAGamer wrote:
And have you asked your group if they'd like to play it, or are you simply assuming they won't like it?

I've mentioned it and shown pictures. Two of them have no desire for it. We also all share the same ire for long set up and take down time, though I was willing to let that pass if they all agreed to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
PAGamer wrote:
in shrink wrap

I feel obliged to mention that the game does not come shrinkwrapped, though I'm not sure why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
PAGamer wrote:
in shrink wrap

I feel obliged to mention that the game does not come shrinkwrapped, though I'm not sure why?

Box is too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:

Well, then closed and unpunched?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:
Darkangeldown wrote:
PAGamer wrote:
in shrink wrap

Box is too big.

I think he meant he wondered why he felt obligated to mention that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And the fact that it is a public thread is the more reason to stop and think whether that what you want to share is of public interest, instead of just spamming everything that comes to your mind. Very few people have enough time to read everything in the forums already as is. So please don't spare us things like this or what you ate for breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
And the fact that it is a public thread is the more reason to stop and think whether that what you want to share is of public interest, instead of just spamming everything that comes to your mind. Very few people have enough time to read everything in the forums already as is. So please don't spare us things like this or what you ate for breakfast.

Are the multiple, multiple threads of people simply praising the game and saying nothing else also considered spam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
florencka wrote:

Are the multiple, multiple threads of people simply praising the game and saying nothing else also considered spam?

They at least help decide if someone is on the brink of buying. You describe just personal reasons for selling your game (which, well, are personal, so nobody else gets any useful information) with no apparent reason than to stir up a forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:

Or just don't read it. There are plenty of things that come through my feed that I click Mark Read, or at best I skim it, or I click Unsubscribe if the thread has veered off in a direction I'm not interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, I'm astounded at the responses to the OP's post.

Everybody is entitled to their say. I found his post interesting.

This does not seem to be a very welcoming community. I found a similar attitude over on some of the Wargames forums.

The subsequent responses will make me think twice about posting anything in this game's forum.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Dave in Ledbury wrote:

This does not seem to be a very welcoming community. I found a similar attitude over on some of the Wargames forums.

The subsequent responses will make me think twice about posting anything in this game's forum.....

Exactly, you should think twice before posting. Some people don't do that and then we end up with posts like OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that you have other fun games to play is obviously a fault of Gloomhaven.
The reason most of us like Gloomhaven is because the rest of our games are boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are on the fence and want some thoughts to push you one way or the other. This is the right place to post these type of questions.

I think the best advice has already been given. Hang on to it for now as it will be hard to get later. It won’t “go bad” sitting on your shelf so if you open it now or two years from now it will still be ready to go.

Who knows, perhaps your friends will want to play later or your will have additional gamers to play with who will want to play.

Of course the final choice is yours.

Edited to add that I am sorry you have had some bad feedback on your post. Usually people here are friendly. I guess not everyone can read between the lines to see what you were really after.
The hilarious thing is that your subject makes your message content clear so they purposefully clicked the link to get mad at you which says a lot more about THEM than you. Just ignore them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:

I might do the same, too. Some threads and posts I've seen in this community that didn't have to do with praising the game certainly didn't go well. The fanbase for this game is definitely more... dedicated than I've seen with other games.

R0land1199 wrote:
Sounds like you are on the fence and want some thoughts to push you one way or the other. This is the right place to post these type of questions.

I think the best advice has already been given. Hang on to it for now as it will be hard to get later. It won’t “go bad” sitting on your shelf so if you open it now or two years from now it will still be ready to go.

Who knows, perhaps your friends will want to play later or your will have additional gamers to play with who will want to play.

Of course the final choice is yours.

I am certainly on the fence about this, yeah. Don't really know what I should do. I would still like to play it, but with my abundance of games, I don't know if it would be a waste. I certainly wasn't expecting many harsh responses here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
I certainly wasn't expecting many harsh responses here.

I am just not sure what you expected... how were people supposed to respond? It's really your decision if you want to sell it, unless you wanted people to convince you not to sell it. But it really seems like you've made up your mind.

It's either you play the game or else sell it and have a fear of missing out on this game. With the current state of demand even if you partially punch and play a few scenarios you won't lose any money by selling if after if you don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pratik Shrestha
United States
Auburn Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
StarryAqua wrote:

I am certainly on the fence about this, yeah. Don't really know what I should do. I would still like to play it, but with my abundance of games, I don't know if it would be a waste.

I think it you're considering selling, your very best opportunity would be now. Once retail copies hit, you could still make anywhere from your at cost (minus your driving distance to local pick up) to MSRP at $149(?) dependant on area stock.

Isaac has commented in the past saying stock should not be an issue this time. That being said, when ever the expansion hits there will be an influx of popularity and so stock may shrink then, too, unless it's supplemented with more base games. That may another good time to sell.

It's anyone's guess how the stock will be in the future. Perhaps you could dig up more confident numbers from Isaac, but right now is your best bet for selling in my opinion.

Wether you should or not is entirely up to you. If at any point you think you may play it and will consider rebuying, take into account you'll likely not get it for less then MSRP with the possibility of it being more then MSRP.

Good luck in your decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grossmutter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Thread! Thx Aaron

considering selling my copy the moment it arrives:

- The Flow of History
The Flow of History: Deluxified (English third edition) (2018)

- The 7th Continent (English second edition) (2018)

- Rising Sun (2018)

- Zombicide: Green Horde
Zombicide: Green Horde (First edition) (2018)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like reading threads such as the op's , it's something different and slightly interesting and maybe....even thought provoking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.