Subject: Describe the diplomacy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is one of three descriptors on the box, yet the game looks like a pretty straightforward euro. Is there actually any diplomacybbakrd into the mechanisms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is more or less a forced thing in the game. Every player owes diplomacy cards (don’t know the correct name), and if another player builds a wonder, the player can choose from the other players cards. As far as I can remember, one card is called “Alliance”, which means that the player who took that card now has more strength in a combat with others.
Sorry for the less detailed description but I only played it at Essen 2 weeks ago and I take my words from my memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually recall an invention that gives these cards. However, I am sure there are wonders that can do this or improve the caravans in some way.
Here's what I got from the Essen preview:
- Every player has the same diplomacy cards of his own on hands.
- If you send a caravan to an opponent's city (which you can alternatively use for city states that each have two copies of the same, unique diplomacy card, or for killing barbarians once upgraded a bit, and I can't recall what else), you get to keep one of their cards of your choice, which gives you a certain bonus. One of these is a fighting bonus as the poster before mentioned.
So, in essence, the players who emphasize on trading and establishing contact get the majority of these bonuses. Although this primarily is a forced interaction, it can also be used semi-cooperatively (e.g. 'take my military bonus before player x can do it').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.