11 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Teaching game to a first time players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
Hello everyone,
I am hoping to teach this game to experienced players that will play MvM for the first time.

I wanted to ask if Mission 2 is a good mission to start teaching with. Do you have any experience on starting with teaching mission 2 to a new players?

Sorry if it is asked earlier, and thanks for your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Why not start w/ the tutorial? Frankly I thought the first 3-4 missions (including the tutorial) were a pretty good intro to what the game has to offer. Also done so in a way that gradually ramps things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. My only worry is that the players are quite experienced with heavier games. Tutorial and first mission could be a bit boring for them. I will keep in your suggestions in mind and will ask them if they want to start from tutorial.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Frankly it's probably just as quick to play the tutorial as it would be to try and sit down and explain it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know your group best, I think Missions 2 and 4 are pretty decent to start with if you don't want to go with the tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always let new players watch the (awesome) video tutorial. If they're confused after that, I start the tutorial mission. If they seem comfortable with the information, I start with M2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorial, even if it's boring, is very quick, especially the crystal part, so if they really can't sit through that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to tutorial.
Add the vid
Add the radioplay.
Live the story.
It may be “to light”, but starting halfway a story wont help either.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We tried mission 2, and it was both not hard to teach and they had fun while winning the mission. So, you may consider mission 2 if you are teaching the game to experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go with mission 1.
Maybe it is too long, but i found it introduces the game to the players pretty well.
especially since the hourglass doesn't start till quite late.

by the end o that level someone is usually in charge of the bomb and someone goes on a rampage, and it takes 20 min.

After that I just jump ahead to where I am in the campaign.
I am just sharing my experience, clearly mission 2 worked for you, so good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.