Subject: Many quick card printing related questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Morris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag Paper
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659546-REG/Canson_Inf...
^^^^^^^^^
1. Good for playing cards?

2. I have an Epson R2400, it's an inkjet, should I use that or should I go to staples and have them laser print the cards?

3. If I'm going to sleeve paper stock I use only matters for print quality and thickness right?

4. Is there another good paper for cards out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Newman
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add a question: I am in the market for a new printer. Do I want to buy an inkjet printer or a laser printer? It was my understanding that inkjet is better for color graphics and images, but I have never been that happy with inkjet in the past. Would a home color laser printer provide good quality prints for cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morris
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Judging from the reviews this paper is great for printing black & white photographs on an inkjet printer.

I think it would be overkill and expensive for cards. (Though the results should look great.)

For now I'm using either plain inkjet paper or 100lb paper. I sleeve the plain paper with a playing card or with the 100lb paper.

I haven't experimented with papers enough yet to give you a recommendation. There are others with more experience than I.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, that paper is overkill. It's for photo prints.

I prefer color laser these days and use Hammermill paper for smooth finish or Neenah linen for a textured finish. It's nicer than the cheap copier paper, but not going overboard like that Canson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I use regular bright white computer paper (80g/m2) combined with linen cardstock or plain coverstock (~200g/m2). This gives ~300 which is the usual weight for playing cards.

Looked into fancier printer papers but they were all rather expensive. I'd rather not waste 50¢-1$ on a sheet if the printer decides to not behave.

If you're going to sleeve, either print on standard paper and use a playing card backer, or on coverstock and sleeve directly, since it won't matter what kind of finish/texture the paper has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like inkjets better for printing things that will end up as a playing board, but laserjets more for printing cards. This is because laserjets are cheaper and faster. If you are willing to wait and pay, I see no reason not to use your inkjet, unless the result leaks ink when handled as is a problem with some of the cheapest inkjets. (But then your problem is that your particular printer is lousy, not that inkjet is not suited to your problem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the cheapest and easiest method is to print on regular paper and sleeve the cards with solid back sleeves. I generally use mat black sleeves. You'll save ink not printing the backs. Just use an old deck of cards or pick up a pack from the dollar store and place the card in the sleeve behind your printed card. It will look very good and lasts virtually forever. If your not sure, print out a single card, it and sleeve it. It might surprise you how good it looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.