Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Mini Rails» Forums » General

Subject: Availability in Europe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why isent this game available anywhere in Europe?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Why isent this game available anywhere in Europe?


You can order direct from the publisher for $36 USD + $10 USD shipping.

https://www.wix.moaideas.net/

Not sure what import taxes you would have to pay though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It came to me with a declared value of $10 - no intervention by Customs. YMMV
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mate Horvath
Hungary
Budapest
Pest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.philibertnet.com/fr/moaideas-game-design/53813-m...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
It came to me with a declared value of $10 - no intervention by Customs. YMMV


Results vary, mine was declared a "gift" but still got rather hefty fee of 20€ total from the f*ck*n* customs basterds.
So no more games from the far-east for me anymore anytime soon.

the game however is great and sold out at Essen Spiel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just got stung for a £17 customs bill in the UK. Trying to sort out with retailers, seriously unimpressed. It was £6 tax and £11 fee!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can at least get the administration fees back.
Essentially the contract you have is with the retailer and their chosen transporter.
If parcel force kidnapped your parcel and added the fee that's where the issue lies.
You and your supplier have no contract with parcel force. You paid for the item and postage with the overseas carrier. Effectively parcel force have no claim on the package.
Check out the internet for the details regards holding parcels to ransom.
You may get the £11 back. Hopefully!.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
You and your supplier have no contract with parcel force. You paid for the item and postage with the overseas carrier. Effectively parcel force have no claim on the package.
Nonsense, sorry.

Where import VAT (and duty if applicable) is to be paid, Parcelforce are obliged and authorised by law to collect it from the importer. One could (but actually can't) argue that the fee is excessive, but one cannot argue that neither fee nor VAT and duty where applicable are not payable.

One can effectively refuse to pay Parcelforce by refusing to accept the goods - but that's more expensive.

One has to exercise care - and pay attention to the de minimis value limits - when importing goods from outside the EU.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
silverfox63 wrote:
You and your supplier have no contract with parcel force. You paid for the item and postage with the overseas carrier. Effectively parcel force have no claim on the package.
Nonsense, sorry.

Where import VAT (and duty if applicable) is to be paid, Parcelforce are obliged and authorised by law to collect it from the importer. One could (but actually can't) argue that the fee is excessive, but one cannot argue that neither fee nor VAT and duty where applicable are not payable.

One can effectively refuse to pay Parcelforce by refusing to accept the goods - but that's more expensive.

One has to exercise care - and pay attention to the de minimis value limits - when importing goods from outside the EU.


I have had no reply yet from moaideas games. Will send them another email tomorrow.

I will refuse the game as my letter says it will be returned to sender and then I should at least be able to get a refund for the game. Losing £7 postage seems a better deal than paying another £17 on top of the £34 I have already paid. £51 for a small game? No thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenrowlands2 wrote:
enoon wrote:
silverfox63 wrote:
You and your supplier have no contract with parcel force. You paid for the item and postage with the overseas carrier. Effectively parcel force have no claim on the package.
Nonsense, sorry.

Where import VAT (and duty if applicable) is to be paid, Parcelforce are obliged and authorised by law to collect it from the importer. One could (but actually can't) argue that the fee is excessive, but one cannot argue that neither fee nor VAT and duty where applicable are not payable.

One can effectively refuse to pay Parcelforce by refusing to accept the goods - but that's more expensive.

One has to exercise care - and pay attention to the de minimis value limits - when importing goods from outside the EU.


I have had no reply yet from moaideas games. Will send them another email tomorrow.

I will refuse the game as my letter says it will be returned to sender and then I should at least be able to get a refund for the game. Losing £7 postage seems a better deal than paying another £17 on top of the £34 I have already paid. £51 for a small game? No thanks!


You will NOT get a refund from Moaideas: nor should you expect one, they have done nothing wrong. You will find their terms and conditions specifically - AND CORRECTLY - make you, the importer, responsible for any and all import charges.

Just chalk it down to experience and pay up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While import taxes are inherently unfair and businessess like parcelforce take advantage of this by imposing (relatively) hefty fees (for no service at all) upon imported stuff, it doesn't make them any less painful. whistle

Oh ... and it's not going to get better anytime soon, on the contrary.
Because of some retarded cowardly mice zombiegulp (aka politicians) you're going to get even more import fees & taxes. (same for us Europeans btw) devil

There's a whole industry built around this kind of stuff. It generates (unneeded) work and money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
There's a whole industry built around this kind of stuff. It generates (unneeded) work and money.
Yup: 'twas ever thus: collect £6 for the government and charge £11 for doing so.

lievendp wrote:
you're going to get even more import fees & taxes.
Not necessarily: if sanity prevails over posturing and politics there will be a commonsense VAT/TVA regime just as we have today. Mind you: it's a big if on both sides of the divide.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the risk of going of topic ...

enoon wrote:
.. if sanity prevails over posturing and politics ..


Dpshake haha, if ever... yes...

If sanity prevailed there wouldn't have been any of this ridiculous stuff happening right now. Then again, when did sanity ever win over political posing and the we-against-them rethoric?

Those stupid humans will always be the same if you ask me. whistle

All this nation-and-border-faeces is just so plain ludicrous, we're just a bunch of territorial beasts (myself included I'm afraid ) It all boils down to the luck of the draw/roll (scrap what fits) Then Again, isn't that life? wow ... (goes back to punching cardboard right now )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what people expect when ordering internationally -- I mean, the handling fee is clearly stupid and excessive, but that you have to pay VAT is clear and known in advance.

And marking items as gifts that aren't gifts to avoid taxes is exactly that -- tax avoidance, and against the law.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I don't know what people expect when ordering internationally -- I mean, the handling fee is clearly stupid and excessive, but that you have to pay VAT is clear and known in advance.

And marking items as gifts that aren't gifts to avoid taxes is exactly that -- tax avoidance, and against the law.


Nobody likes to pay taxes. (that I know off)

Especially if said taxes feel unjust. Like for example import taxes, those are just an ancien-régime era type of tax designed for protectionism which never ever really worked in the long run.

Not everybody is of the lawful-something type and unfair laws should be worked around as much as possible imho.
Just one needs to be aware of possible consequences.

Oh, when I do buy a game (abroad or regional) is always like giving myself a gift so it definitely is just that: "a gift". whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Unjust"?

You pay VAT (or your country's equivalent) on every purchase you make in your own country as well, it's just that there it is included in the price up front -- and now we can start a massive discussion as to whether this is a good way of doing taxation or not (there are good arguments that can be made against this particular type of tax!), but this is certainly not the place for it.
But berating the seller or the state or the delivery service for the state trying to collect the taxes they're due on your board game purchase is silly.

Portraying tax avoidance as a kind of justice movement and advertising it online is also silly.

Edit: Overall, I like paying taxes, or rather, I recognise they're necessary, because I like using the services they pay for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
... and now we can start a massive discussion as to whether this is a good way of doing taxation or not (there are good arguments that can be made against this particular type of tax!), but this is certainly not the place for it.

Thanks for pointing out we shouldn't discuss this here. Very thoughtful. shake

Gswp wrote:
But berating the seller or the state or the delivery service for the state trying to collect the taxes they're due on your board game purchase is silly.
Portraying tax avoidance as a kind of justice movement and advertising it online is also silly.

On the contrary, I think your judgemental comment here is demeaning and hence silly. gulp
No issue paying taxes (like TVA/VAT/BTW/...) on a product but import taxes are protectionism and yes, that's silly.

Gswp wrote:
Edit: Overall, I like paying taxes, or rather, I recognise they're necessary, because I like using the services they pay for.

Good for you, I recognize taxes can be rightfully applied but again, this doesn't go for import taxes imho.
As stated before, there's a whole industry running on this stuff (import taxes) which we can perfectly do without and which exist just to sustain itselve.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.