North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
juike wrote:
Lenrok wrote:

Someone should rewrite it in python.

I'm still looking for someone to alter this code to add some future Terra Mystica expansions to it for a private playtesting server. Interested parties please contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
juike wrote:
Lenrok wrote:

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
juike wrote:
Lenrok wrote:

Why?
Because!

Me, I think that someone should solve the Middle-East conflict.

Wait - all of a sudden a GP online implementation in Python looks REALLY easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
juike wrote:
Lenrok wrote:

Why?

Because it's a much better-known and more-often used language than Perl. While it's not much of a data set in itself, I know Python and might be willing to have a play with the snellman code were it in Python (almost certainly not in a way that would be good enough to go live, but just to try some things out it), but I wouldn't know where to start with it in Perl. I imagine there are many similar to me (and relatively few in the other direction).

Yes, I know I could probably teach myself Perl without too many difficulties - but there are so many other languages and tools that I would like to learn, that are used MUCH more in things I would like to be doing, that I can't see me making that particular effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
PERL is easy enough that if you've written a lot of code in something else, you should be able to do PERL. I can read PERL and understand what it is doing, and I haven't done any serious coding for a long time and that was in something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
PERL is easy enough that if you've written a lot of code in something else, you should be able to do PERL. I can read PERL and understand what it is doing, and I haven't done any serious coding for a long time and that was in something else.

I've coded in both Perl and Python. I don't see myself ever going back and writing anything new in Perl, though. It's powerful, sure, but I don't think it's the best tool anymore for modern coding.

Lately, I personally prefer using Ruby or Python the most, though I still do some Java programming for my personal Android projects.

Maybe I can take a look at the old TM code and see if I can port it to Python - though that would require me finding the time to do it, and right now, my "free time" = "time to play a game" with as sparse as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm more looking for someone to actually change/alter the Snellman code for a playtest server for future Terra Mystica expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Ni
China
flag msg tools
totoman.online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryannbw wrote:
totoman.online

Yup know, who is operating this?
And is there an way to make this English?
I bet you find enough people willing to help translate anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if anyone is interested in online play in the PBF section there are some games played
We created a google docs file, which can really help a lot
you can look into it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cDzLRU9r3xFEAdcQYDep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kingelin
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Jack Spirio wrote:
if anyone is interested in online play in the PBF section there are some games played
you can look into it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cDzLRU9r3xFEAdcQYDep...

It would be interesting to see others comment on the games once they are complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed!

I've been trying to refrain from talking about pbf1 since I'm not in it but it can be fun to chat about GP since the game is so fresh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Ryannbw wrote:
totoman.online

Yup know, who is operating this?
And is there an way to make this English?

so i just used examine element from the browser and google translate. After creating an account (don't reuse ANY login info; site is unsecure)

there's a welcome message once u create an account.
The two white buttons near the top are: [Turn off all round tips] and [Turn on all round tips]

Your game
The blue button is: [Create a room]
Room Race Last Action Time Round Wait Player Score Version/Tip

To the fans of the gaia project,

Thank you for your active support, the funds required for our web server have now been met for half a year! The new address is totoman.online.
Those who wish to support this site can still continue to support the follow-up operations of this site through the mailbox 21817698@qq.com or the QQ number of the mailbox.
Since this site is for enthusiasts, it is not of any commercial nature. Therefore, this site promises that all raised fees will only be used for the server operations of this site and will not be used for other purposes.

If you find any unknown BUG in the game, please feedback to TOTO (21817698@qq.com), picture + text description, and attach the ID name of the game room for subsequent improvement.

BUG type problems are now known and will be fixed as soon as possible. Please try to avoid them in the game.

Resources after upgrading tech can't be converted in the same turn

Declaring Federal Algorithm Detection Problems

The building that was entered after the federal declaration is not considered a federal building

Build statement to determine the boundary

When ACT2 is used to rebuild a planet that requires only 1 transformation in the TF scoring wheel, 2 points cannot be scored

To be completed function: (in order of priority)

Dark Planet and Tech Edition's settlement order issues

Action preview

Game data save Historical data

Set up the clock and add the function

A separate statement that does not trigger on the initial ability of a crazy machine race

Lizongzu uses energy action without the BS statement

Public hall

Player's ranking points

Interface color adjustment

the right most drop down menu (looks like two rectangles to me) but the menu items from top to bottom are:

Managing Games
End Game
Using Faction
Waiting to Delete the Game
--------- (there's a dividing line)
Exposed Games (I assume ongoing games)
Player Statistics
Faction Score
Faction Statistics
Technology

Looking at the list of ongoing games, across the top it translates:
Game name, # of ppl, Score, Round, Created by/Created by/Ended by, and operating

since some characters did not show for me, as i only have japanese on my computer, there's some errors.

One day I'll learn how to play GP, but I hope that gets some of u going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Added tile orientations, so custom maps can be build
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Seems like some nice work.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
I'll probably regret this post at some point, but I thought it was timely since there have been scattered discussions on the topic lately. I also thought I might prevent duplicated efforts.

I am currently building an (English) online Gaia interface somewhat similar to snellman for TM. My motivation is simply that someone ought to do it, because being able to play competitively on a regular basis makes so much of a difference. I still don't really know where I stand on GP as a game (even though I was a playtester) simply because I get to play it way to seldom. It's also turned out to be quite fun, at least so far.

I do commend Jack's initiative with the google doc, but I would think that any solution based on spreadsheets has inherent limitations. We also have not seen great uptake yet. I cannot comment on the Chinese site - it might be great, but unless it gets translated into English I have a hard time seeing it gain general popularity. It also seems that the creator(s) are not engaging with the community here, which would be a stumbling block to do cool community-based stuff like tournaments and so on.

I have done a lot of the hard ground work, but it's still not possible to play a game from start to finish. I have more or less all the actions implemented, but the overall management (whose turn, what round etc) are not implemented yet, and nor are the income and gaia phases. Once I have that it should be possible to play a full game in a closed session, and I will then invite beta testers. The final step before it will actually be useful is to implement a database backend that saves all games and moves.

I do realise this creates expectations, but there are lots of caveats and I do not want to make any firm promises yet. I might hit a brick wall or lose my motivation or whatever. What I do promise is that if I decide to drop this project at some point, I will release it for anyone interested to complete. Based on the speed so far and my vague sense of how much is remaining, my aim is to invite beta testers in four to six weeks, and to have a first version up by the end of August or so. But again, please do not take this as any kind if promise.

If any of the designers or publishers are reading this: Obviously you will get fully credited. At this point, with no 'official' app or similar on the market, I cannot see that this initiative could create any harm to your game. If anything, I hope it would increase its exposure and make it even more popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sure a google sheet has limits, but I was astonished while building it, how much can be done there

Obvousily it will never be as good as anything like snellman, but at least I can play on it right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s great news Ola. When you say closed session, is it going to be tracking a live game all in memory as your beta test?

Jack has done a great job on spreadsheet and pretty much pushed it to its limits in terms of what could be automated. It’s perfect for PBF where you would need to post the details of your turn anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
kruppy wrote:
I'll probably regret this post at some point, but I thought it was timely since there have been scattered discussions on the topic lately. I also thought I might prevent duplicated efforts.

I am currently building an (English) online Gaia interface somewhat similar to snellman for TM. My motivation is simply that someone ought to do it, because being able to play competitively on a regular basis makes so much of a difference. I still don't really know where I stand on GP as a game (even though I was a playtester) simply because I get to play it way to seldom. It's also turned out to be quite fun, at least so far.

I do commend Jack's initiative with the google doc, but I would think that any solution based on spreadsheets has inherent limitations. We also have not seen great uptake yet. I cannot comment on the Chinese site - it might be great, but unless it gets translated into English I have a hard time seeing it gain general popularity. It also seems that the creator(s) are not engaging with the community here, which would be a stumbling block to do cool community-based stuff like tournaments and so on.

I have done a lot of the hard ground work, but it's still not possible to play a game from start to finish. I have more or less all the actions implemented, but the overall management (whose turn, what round etc) are not implemented yet, and nor are the income and gaia phases. Once I have that it should be possible to play a full game in a closed session, and I will then invite beta testers. The final step before it will actually be useful is to implement a database backend that saves all games and moves.

I do realise this creates expectations, but there are lots of caveats and I do not want to make any firm promises yet. I might hit a brick wall or lose my motivation or whatever. What I do promise is that if I decide to drop this project at some point, I will release it for anyone interested to complete. Based on the speed so far and my vague sense of how much is remaining, my aim is to invite beta testers in four to six weeks, and to have a first version up by the end of August or so. But again, please do not take this as any kind if promise.

If any of the designers or publishers are reading this: Obviously you will get fully credited. At this point, with no 'official' app or similar on the market, I cannot see that this initiative could create any harm to your game. If anything, I hope it would increase its exposure and make it even more popular.

That's great to hear. It's a difficult undertaking and I'm sure lots of people are appreciative of the effort (including myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Jack Spirio wrote:
sure a google sheet has limits, but I was astonished while building it, how much can be done there

Obvousily it will never be as good as anything like snellman, but at least I can play on it right now

I completely agree, and that's why I wanted to acknowledge your effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
frotes wrote:
That’s great news Ola. When you say closed session, is it going to be tracking a live game all in memory as your beta test?

Yes, and even more restricted than that. You would have to play all factions yourself. It's just to see that everything works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

Out of curiosity, how much work (a %)do you think one could cut out if using all the things already implemented in the TM site (including the tournament setups! which are one of my fav. parts!) instead of starting from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Songok wrote:
Great news!

Out of curiosity, how much work (a %)do you think one could cut out if using all the things already implemented in the TM site (including the tournament setups! which are one of my fav. parts!) instead of starting from scratch?

You could just copy the whole page, e.g. the administration stuff with matchmaking and Elo and all that.
There is also probably a lot which you could copy from the game, as it has strong similarities. But still you would need to implement a lot new stuff (like map, tech board and such) and change some from existing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Songok wrote:
Great news!

It is very difficult to respond to, since it depends on your own knowledge. If Juho had done it, then of course his best option would have been to copy and modify the old code. But to just take over someone else's code - it takes a lot of time to just understand it. And it becomes very difficult if you're not skilled in the languages used. Also, it didn't feel at all as fun as trying to do something new.

Further, the games are different in some ways. What I have spent most time on so far are the federations, which don't exist in TM and are tricky from a computational perspective. They are tricky primarily because the rule is based on connecting planets via (one of the) shortest possible paths. If you have only two planets, then it's easy, but if you have three or more it becomes similar to the 'travelling salesman problem' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem).

I'm quite sure that in my case I would have spent more time re-using the old code (if at all possible), but another person (a real software developer for example whistle) might have saved some time.

Also, note that the TM tournament is separate from the moderator tool itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.