United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2018 BGG WW Redux Series: 2005 -
Lord of the Rings: Helm’s Deep

This game is part of the 2018 BGG Werewolf Redux Series. This is based off a game run by Kimapesan back in 2005. It was the third part of a 5 part series of games based on the Lord of the Rings.

Original game rules : Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep - Starts August 18th
Original game thread: Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep, GAME OVER!

Team Evil:

Saruman (Lynch Control Wolf) - Who else but the White Wizard? Saruman's greatest power is in his voice, silvery sweet with words of persuasion. Each day Saruman can steal one vote in secret. At night, Saruman posts to Mod-Chat with a player's name, and also name another person that Saruman wishes that player to vote for (this cannot then be changed during the day - the decision must be made the night before). When the lynch tallies are finalized for the day, that player's vote will be switched to the designated person. Saruman's power fails if he targets Treebeard (once Treebeard is activated), Gandalf, or anyone Gandalf chooses to protect that day.

Ugluk (Converter Wolf)- One of the hordes of of Uruk-Hai captains leading the assault on Helm's Deep. Ugluk's job is to find a suitable Uruk for the job of Berserker. Each night Ugluk post to Mod-Chat with the name of another player, and is told if that person is the Orc Berserker. If found, this activates the Berserker's abilities. Ugluk may then send (but not receive) messages to the Orc Berserker (This will be a one-way chat room)

Grima Wormtongue (Power Blocking Wolf) - Saruman's agent in the House of Eorl. Grima's words are poison and can hinder the efforts of the Fellowship. Each night, Grima post in Mod-Chat with a target player. That player cannot be successfully recruited by Gandalf, Aragorn, or the hobbits. If one of them targets that person, they will learn that Grima has blocked their efforts, but will not know if the target has a special role or who Grima is.

Orc Berserker (Hidden Role) (Converted villager to modified wolf cub) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be the Berserker(the player does not know this at the outset). If Ugluk successfully finds the berserker, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use the Berserker's ability. At any time during the day phase, the Berserker may choose a target player. Both the berserker and that player are killed (except for Gandalf, who is immune). This may also be activated if the berserker is chosen for lynch; the lynched berserker may choose a player to kill when lynched (again, except for Gandalf). Although the Berserker may not chat with the villains, the Berserker will be in a one-way chat with Ugluk (only). Once recruited, the Berserker is considered a "villain" and wins with the villains, and counts as a villain for the purposes of determining victory for one side or the other.

Team Good:

Gandalf (Vote Protection, Recruiter) - The White Wizard returns, and his major task is the healing of King Theoden. Each night Gandalf may target a person, by Mod-Chat, and find out if that person is Theoden. If he finds Theoden, Theoden is healed and may use his special abilities. Gandalf also has the ability to nullify Saruman's special powers. Each night, Gandalf can post in Mod-Chat the name of two players he wishes to protect from Saruman's influence; if Saruman chooses to steal the vote of either of those individuals, Saruman's power fails for the following day. Gandalf is automatically immune to Saruman's power.

Aragorn (Hunter, Recruiter) - The ranger turns hunter, and when his hunt for the hobbits brings him to Gandalf, Aragorn rides to help muster Rohan and fight alongside Eomer. Each night Aragorn may target a person, by Mod-Chat, and find out if that person is Eomer. If he finds Eomer, Eomer is released from captivity and may use his special abilities. Aragorn also can win the game for the Fellowship if he and one of the villains are the only players remaining in the game.

Merry and Pippin (Mason, Recruiters) - These two hobbits (separate roles) are initially captured by the Uruk-Hai, but escape when Eomer's band ambushes the orcs. They then encounter Treebeard, and convince him to march to war against Saruman. Merry and Pippin may target a person each night (chosen together), by PM to the moderator, and find out if that person is Treebeard. If they find Treebeard, Treebeard gathers the Ents for war against Isengard. Merry and Pippin will share a chat room.

Theoden (Hidden Role, Power Blocker) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Theoden (the player does not know this at the outset). If Gandalf successfully finds Theoden, the player learns his secret role and may start using Theoden's special ability. As King of the Mark, Theoden's special ability is to heavily influence one day's vote through his leadership. Once during the game, Theoden may cast TWO votes for lynch. These votes can be for the same person or different people. Theoden also removes Grima's special power (though Theoden will not know who Grima is as a result). On the first night after successful recruitment of Theoden, Grima may use his power one final time. After that night, Grima's ability is removed (even if Theoden is later killed or lynched - Grima's loss of power is permanent).

Eomer (Hidden Role, Hunter) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Eomer(the player does not know this at the outset). If Aragorn successfully finds Eomer, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use Eomer's ability. As with Aragorn, if Eomer and a villain are the only players remaining at the end of the game, the Fellowship wins the game. If BOTH Aragorn and Eomer are alive at the end of the game with 2 villains, then the Fellowship wins. (Seriously, who's going to stand against the combined forces of those two? Not a bunch of sissy Uruks, that's for sure!)

Treebeard (Hidden Role, Mason) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Treebeard (the player does not know this at the outset). If Merry and Pippin successfully find Treebeard, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use Treebeard's ability. Treebeard will join Merry and Pippin’s chat room once recruited. On the day after being recruited, Treebeard has no special power (must not be hasty!) other than this ability. On the following day, Treebeard will learn the identity of Saruman. Treebeard is also immune to Saruman's special ability (note that prior to Merry and Pippin finding Treebeard, that player is NOT immune to Saruman's ability).

Soldiers of Rohan - All the other players.

Notes:
The person who successfully recruits his/her target will KNOW that person has that hidden role; as well, the person who has been recruited will know which player recruited him or her. However, those players cannot chat (with the exceptions of Treebeard and Ugluk, above). It will thus be a very BAD idea for villains to claim, "I am Theoden! Don't Lynch Me!" unless they really want to draw out Gandalf.

If Saruman targets Theoden on a night, and the next day Theoden declares the use of his "double vote", the double vote takes place as per Theoden's decree, and Saruman's ability does NOT apply. However, if Theoden does not use his special power, his vote CAN be stolen as normal, per Saruman's role rules.

In this game, because there is no seer or detective, roles WILL be revealed upon death. This applies ONLY to non-hidden roles, and to hidden roles that have been activated. If a person with a hidden role is killed or lynched, and that person's hidden role has NOT been activated, then that person's hidden role will not be revealed to anyone. (Note that if a person successfully recruits his/her target on a night, and that target is killed that same night by the villains, then the target's identity IS revealed because the recruitment will occur before the kill is made.)

Night 0 - Only Gandalf and Saruman may use their abilities.
Tie Breaker - LHLV (this is a break from the original rules)
Lynch: 1pm BGG
Dawn: 3pm BGG

Personal Note: I’m not the best at flavor text, if anybody would like to co-mod with me who is good at flavor text please let me know. Otherwise I’ll do my best, but I’m sorry there is no way I’ll be close to matching the abilities of Kimapesan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
acox89
Amaroq81
AnneAa
Avin
BerenCamlost
cvb2009
dbmurph22
dejojam1
Felice Si
Kortemaki
ljtrigirl
monogarden
nolemonplease
RoyalApe
Syntax3rror
tern73
The_Rorab
twomillionbucks
Vanderscamp

19 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1885779

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot, half way there on the player list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crafting Table
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys... We have two weeks to get this filled. We need 6 more players, so go bug your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need 5 more in one week. Come on guys we can do this. Bug your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

So if we don't get this filled by Monday, I'm willing to push it back a week, but I'm not sure I want to push it much more than that. This game is really supposed to happen in January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fill a seat if necessary and I won't be absent, but I am significantly busier than usual this month so my activity/presence will be low. If that is acceptable to the mod and the rest of the roster, count me in if you need "just one more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bump. One more to start today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
I can fill a seat if necessary and I won't be absent, but I am significantly busier than usual this month so my activity/presence will be low. If that is acceptable to the mod and the rest of the roster, count me in if you need "just one more".
Looks like your in because while we had the 19 over the weekend there was a drop last night so we need just the one more.

Thanks so much.

I'll be starting the game shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally System

Your Moderator has enabled the Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally system
for this game. In order for it to function correctly, your votes will
need to be formatted correctly. The following rules will explain what
you will need to do:

Players
1. All votes must be bolded

2. The entire vote statement must be bolded and enclosed in brackets:
[vote jmilum]

3. If your game allows, and you [vote nightfall] your vote will
be locked. Your moderator may have disabled nightfall votes.

4. Vote tallies will be automatically posted to the game thread
regularly if the tally has changed. The Tally and Vote Logs (for each
game day) are also available on the Cassandra game page.

5. If your vote is not counted be sure to check the Vote Log page and
see if it was marked invalid and why.

6. Case does not matter and simple typos will not cause the vote to fail.

7. You may [vote no lynch] if your game allows it.

8. Non voting players will be listed in the tallies. This will only be
correct if the Moderator notes which players have been killed (see below)

9. Editing a vote post will invalidate the vote and it will not be counted.

Moderators
1. The moderator will need to post [Dawn] when the day begins
(after the night results are posted) and [Dusk] when the lynch
deadline has passed and the day is over. Votes will not be counted
after [Dusk] has been posted. They will be registered again
after [Dawn] is next posted.

2. You may include a day number in the dawn and dusk post for
informational purposes, but it will not be used by the system.
Cassandra will increment an internal counter each time it sees
[Dawn] no matter what day is shown in a dawn post (i.e.
[Dawn 3] the three is allowed but ignored)

3. After dusk has been posted, the Moderator may go to the game page
on Cassandra to request a Final Tally to be posted before the normal
scan period has elapsed (i.e. Game Y gets scanned at 45 min. after the
hour, if it lynches at 7pm the moderator may request a tally to be
posted from the game page before 7:45pm. it will also be posted
regardless of whether or not it has been changed since the last
posting) - Do this by clicking on the 'Force Vote Tally' link.

4. You will need to note which players were killed via the lynch or at night by
either posting [killed jmilum] in the thread, or by going to the game
page and editing the player list. When posting in the thread, be sure to post
[dusk] before posting the lynch kill, and post [dawn] before
posting the night kill.
Example:
A. lynch time has passed so post [dusk]
B. goto the game page and select a final tally to be posted
C. check the final tally and post [killed melsana]
D. after the night deadline has passed post [dawn]
E. post the night kill with [killed kima]

Your Moderator has chosen to use the Longest Held Last Vote method for a tiebreaker - This is just for Cassandra system, and there may be a different tiebreaker specified by your Moderator in the ruleset.
Your Moderator has chosen to allow Nightfall votes.
Your Moderator has chosen to disallow No Lynch votes.

Vote Log Page: http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1885779/votes
Vote Tally Page: http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1885779/tally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frodo and Sam have left the fellowship to take the ring to Mordor and destroy it. But this story doesn't follow them, it follows the rest of the fellowship as they head towards Helm's Deep to help the King of Rohan throw off the evil influences and to fight back the ever growing power of Saruman the White.

We are still in N0. I need Saruman and Gandalf to enter their vote control and vote protect powers. You have until the usual Night Action Orders are due. 3pm BGG.

However IF EVERY SINGLE person checks in and locks their night actions before that, we can start this game early. Either way first lynch will be tomorrow at 1pm.

You may talk, but please no voting until after dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Forth, Eorlingas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else not getting any subscriptions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The_Rorab wrote:
Yes, this is happening to me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...---...
Canada
flag msg tools
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
Forth, Eorlingas!
You've been waiting months to say that, haven't you?

... and yes, I too am not seeing new subscriptions. Only saw this because of the geek mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I have famously huge turds!
badge
I have famously huge turds!
mbmbmbmbmb
cvb2009 wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
Yes, this is happening to me as well.
I had actually forgotten to subscribe to this one, so I'm not sure on the subscription bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Felice Si wrote:
Avin wrote:
Forth, Eorlingas!
You've been waiting months to say that, haven't you?

... and yes, I too am not seeing new subscriptions. Only saw this because of the geek mail.
Actually I had forgotten about this game completely until last week and then I was just relieved to see it hadn't started yet.

But completely coincidentally I've been reading the Two Towers with my three eldest children so I'm totally ready for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm also not getting subscriptions.

I was just refreshing this page every five minutes this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mono
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be cool. Don't be all, like.... uncool
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
I'm not getting any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am ready to help defeat Voldemort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...---...
Canada
flag msg tools
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
surprise How did he get here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hill
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I read this initially as Vanderscamp. laugh

I, too, am not receiving subscriptions to this specific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Felice Si wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
surprise How did he get here?
Probably through Avin's avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [65] |