Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

To the South
by Marek J. Kolcun

Fall is ending and for wild geese it means the only thing - to go on a journey to the south, where they'll spend the winter. The path is quite challenging though and not every goose makes it. Which flock will survive?

In To the South every player takes control over very own flock of a wild geese. By clever using the dice you try to manage your flock as well as make the journey harder for other flocks, so yours ends the best.

Info
Players: 2-5
Playtime: 10-20 min.

Components
- 35 wild geese tokens
- 10 6-sided dice
- 16 weather cards
- 1 flight plan
- 1 flight pawn
- 1 good weather token
- 4 reference cards
- rules

About game
Hello,
as i found out that Mint Tin Contest 2017 is on I immediately wanted to contribute. I was playing with an some ideas, even made a prototype of a game about surviving in woods while crafting useful items, but the gameplay was too clumsy for such a small game format. So I abandoned the original idea and fell into depression.

Filled with melancholic mood I was sitting next to window, looking on the sky and then I saw a flock of birds. And it hit me.

Idea jumped onto idea, then I had a quick brainstorming with some people online and glued together first draft of the rules.

The game is quite simple, a bit childish I would say, but still it brings some choices to be made every round. There's a great portion of luck, but by altering the flock organisation and playing right cards players can even follow offensive/defensive strategies.

I'm going to post both rules and PnP components later today, maybe on Sunday. Heck, it's still 3 days until submission deadline, so why not give it a try?

PnP Files
Both rules and components files can be found here on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15WiTjhnHmFG9T6PA6mvj...

I decided to leave rules file a only with basic formatting due to possible changes.

If there's anything unclear in the rules, please, let me know!

Images

Drying the goose tokens after applying a polish.

Rest of the game components - cards, pawn, flight map and some dice.

Preparing all the components to fit into tin (Mint Works tin used).

Pawn, all 10 dice and 35 tokens are in!

Cards have a bit non-standard size so they fit into the box quite well.

Don't worry, the flight map will fit as well.

A 2 player game ready to begin!

Example of a game in progress. Some geese are already exhausted, and one fled to opponent's flock.

Detail on the dice that I used. Really like this pearlesque shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] To the South - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest [Idea Phase]
Those dice are gorgeous! And the rest of those components are top notch - I love the image on the good weather token.

Many of us are still working on games, you have plenty of time!

Good luck getting it all done before Tuesday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Well, you've picked a theme near and dear to my heart. Curious to see where it takes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! This may be a dumb question but will the PnP be in English? Wasn't sure if the cards in the pic were actual game cards or not. I'd love to check this one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harshad Deshmukh
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Those dice are gorgeous! And the rest of those components are top notch

Thanks for early positive feedback! I am starting to worry about overal thoughts after I publish the rules...

bgarthwaite wrote:
Well, you've picked a theme near and dear to my heart.
The game is a bit more aggressive for the theme, but so far only 1 of 4 people was bothered with it.

JonasVenture wrote:
This may be a dumb question but will the PnP be in English?
Of course! That's why the PnP components are not yet available - I am translating them right now.

Thanks for your attention, more info later today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:
bgarthwaite wrote:
Well, you've picked a theme near and dear to my heart.
The game is a bit more aggressive for the theme, but so far only 1 of 4 people was bothered with it.
Geese are aggressive! Those birds are mean!

Best of luck with the translation! I'm racing to finish the final components and rules for my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Geese are aggressive! Those birds are mean!
Fun geese fact: To the Celts of the British Isles, prior to the Roman conquest, geese were a sacred war symbol, due to their aggressive nature. Like other waterfowl, they were special for the connections to both water and sky, too, but no one was thinking of ducks on their way into battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Marek, good evening to you

subscribing this immediately, not just to encourage my countryman, but to help, if possible by playtesting and enjoying your game.

I have no problem with the English texts on the cards, of course, but ill you keep some pdf with the slovak edition as well?
just being curious

wish you well, so everything connected to your game runs as hell towards a successful end

Marian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
bgarthwaite wrote:
Fun geese fact: To the Celts of the British Isles, prior to the Roman conquest, geese were a sacred war symbol
Well, I knew that geese are kinda aggressive creatures, but did not expect this historical window

Eolair wrote:
subscribing this immediately, not just to encourage my countryman, but to help, if possible by playtesting and enjoying your game.
Hi, Marian! Nice to run in to fellow designer here! Due the lack of the time I'll post english version first and slovak later, no worry.

The game can be playtested already with any 7 two-sided tokens and 2 dice per player, one distinct token for good weather, printed flight map and cards that basically fit to single A4 sheet.

Rules and components in english can be found in first thread post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Kennington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marek,

Really love the theme - it's interesting and unique!

I've actually done a quick implementation in tabletop simulator to test it:

If you like, I can publish it - but at the moment it's private as obviously it's your decision whether it should be made public or not.

Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dude, I am pretty surprised!

Of course you can publish it - more players finds it, more the name of mine and you will be known! The game was published with edited Creative Commons license, so you can publish it for free and with reference to original game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Kennington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the theme of this - it was my pick in that category - and the art was fresh and felt "airy".

The English rules suffered a little from translation issues I think, making it a little confusing, but I did get through it and get it played.

I think there's great potential here, but I must admit I was a little disappointed in some of what I saw as a missed opportunity. This was my fault more than yours I think - I read the description of the game and saw the pictures and was hooked. I loved the idea of your flock flying in formation in front of you, getting exhausted and falling to the back of the pack. That was brilliant - a squad management game with geese - brilliant!

The point where it missed an opportunity though was it seemed to me that the obvious thing was the link between the frequency distribution of 2d6 matching the flying pattern of the geese. The one in the middle, if it is made the "7" slot, is the most likely to be rolled. It seems like every round everyone should be rolling 2d6 and those values exhausting birds, so you have to decide whether to swap them back down to the lesser frequency 2,3,11,12 slots before everyone starts playing cards to mitigate the damage that has done.

That way there's less reliance on "take that" mechanisms - its the flock against the elements.

But I'm rambling now - this was an excellent theme and it's a shame that there wasn't a "most innovative theme" category, because this would have been my pick there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Nigel_hmg wrote:
I loved the theme of this - it was my pick in that category - and the art was fresh and felt "airy".
Marek, Nigel, and anyone else intrigued by this game's theme might also want to add a book to your to-read list: The Snow Geese by William Fiennes. Recommended to me by some other fine BGG folks, and this is as good a place as any to pass that along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nigel_hmg wrote:

The English rules suffered a little from translation issues I think, making it a little confusing, but I did get through it and get it played.

I think there's great potential here, but I must admit I was a little disappointed in some of what I saw as a missed opportunity. This was my fault more than yours I think - I read the description of the game and saw the pictures and was hooked. I loved the idea of your flock flying in formation in front of you, getting exhausted and falling to the back of the pack. That was brilliant - a squad management game with geese - brilliant!

The point where it missed an opportunity though was it seemed to me that the obvious thing was the link between the frequency distribution of 2d6 matching the flying pattern of the geese. The one in the middle, if it is made the "7" slot, is the most likely to be rolled. It seems like every round everyone should be rolling 2d6 and those values exhausting birds, so you have to decide whether to swap them back down to the lesser frequency 2,3,11,12 slots before everyone starts playing cards to mitigate the damage that has done.

That way there's less reliance on "take that" mechanisms - its the flock against the elements.

But I'm rambling now - this was an excellent theme and it's a shame that there wasn't a "most innovative theme" category, because this would have been my pick there!

Thank you for your response. Me myself was hooked on the theme during our inspirational Mondays at work and as I saw the "V" formation, I almost immediately thought about merging it with 2D6 rolls probability distribution.

You're right about my english - I am not native speaker - but I also wanted to pack up the rules into smallest format possible - I didn't want to make the game feel it was squeezed into a tin just to fit the contest limitations.

I am sorry you felt the overall gameplay as missed opportunity. I can honestly say some people in one of my testing groups were dissapointed too as they thought there is small variety of what to do during the turns, but on the other hand, others had really good time while sending opponents' geese down and forgeting that one's flock had a "good weather" token and their "attack" had no effect.

Once again, thank you for both your positive feedback (especially theme) and words of critics addressed to mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls