1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How much would you pay for a rare boardgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: richhumblebrags_episode_999 [+] [View All]
Lionel G

Washington
msg tools
I was at my local half price books yesterday. They had a copy of GMT's Silent Victory, ww2 submarine game in the Pacific for $150.00. This seemed like a lot for this game. How much would you be willing to pay for a rare game that you came across and might never see again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the attraction is just because it's rare then probably nothing, I wouldn't even consider Silent Victory.

I paid €200+ for Mega Civilization because I wanted it, it's rare but that wasn't a factor I considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost paid 200$ for cave evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Silent Victoryis going to be reprinted, eventually.I would caution you that waiting may be smarter than paying that price.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-650-silent-victory-2nd-printing.a...

I’ve paid quite a bit of money for older titles that are out of print, and appear to be staying out of print. I think the most I’ve paid is $100 for a copy of Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972 and it’s c3i materials, but I’ve purchased games like Ambush!, and Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was rare and I really wanted it I would probably pay too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $100 for Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game's expansions, and $1800 for Kingdom Death: Monster and all expansions.
Gives a good idea of what I'm willing to pay when I really want something does it not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. But if it was a game I wanted, £40 tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paid 350 in the 7th Continent KS... that's my most (well besides SW:IA with all expansions and 80% minis, which probably amounts to 600 or so)

but used games, i only have 2 Space crusade (bought twice, second time with all the expansions) and one hero quest. Both were under 100.
I have no desire for any other second hand games, these were childhood memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Well...

These days, nothing, because I have the games I sought.

But I paid a lot of money for Space Crusade plus expansions, and Hero Quest plus expansions. Basically whatever it took. And the rarity had nothing to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
I paid $100 for Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game's expansions, and $1800 for Kingdom Death: Monster and all expansions...

surprise

I would pay a fair amount for a game I want to play, but probably less than $100 in any case. I would not pay more for the games rarity, though there are some games which are old or rare which I would be willing to buy even when I would not intend to play them, but then the money I would be willing to part with would diminish correspondingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I had paid $176 USD including shipping for Wars of the Roses Lancaster vs York by Peter Hawkes.
Love the game and i had been looking around for it for a while before i manage to bag it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
I paid $100 for Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game's expansions, and $1800 for Kingdom Death: Monster and all expansions...

surprise

We'll talk about it again in 2 years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how bad I wanted it and the condition it was in.

The last game on my list is Heroquest, and I'd certainly pay more than normal, but not if it's a beat up copy with pieces missing and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahoy landlubber!
badge
ARRR!
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
$1800 for Kingdom Death: Monster and all expansions

Wow, I paid a lot less for 48 games and 20+ expansions this year, including 7th Continent Kickstarter.

Paid 90€ for Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition (German). Probably the only rare game I bought and didn't get via trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would really depend on the game itself, the condition, and how much I want it.

If "rare" is it's only quality, then the max I'd pay is $0 since I'd never buy a game simply because it's hard to get.

However, if there is a ultra rare game that I really want to own then I'm willing to admit that the answer is "probably too much money". As an owner of Cthulhu Wars, TI4, and Space Hulk, I'm no stranger to overspending for a game ...

Not too long ago, I paid $100 for Yokohama (KS Deluxe) because I missed out on the campaign and couldn't bring myself to buy a non-deluxe copy. Not exorbitant, just the most recent example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
If the attraction is just because it's rare then probably nothing, I wouldn't even consider Silent Victory.

I paid €200+ for Mega Civilization because I wanted it, it's rare but that wasn't a factor I considered.

I did the same, but rarity was admittedly a selling point for me. Same for Takenoko Collector Edition at $350. I also bought KD:M and all the expansions but wouldn’t really consider it rare anymore. There were like 21000 copies sold in the second Kickstarter.

Luckily they’re all awesome games Takenoko is much easier to get to the table than Mega Civ though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeszett wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
$1800 for Kingdom Death: Monster and all expansions

Wow, I paid a lot less for 48 games and 20+ expansions this year, including 7th Continent Kickstarter.

Paid 90€ for Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition (German). Probably the only rare game I bought and didn't get via trading.

Yeah. But at MRSP they're like $3600
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Eisenstein
United States
Lilburn
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think $150 is my limit. I haven't paid that, but I've been looking at a few games in that range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are Kickstarter exclusives considered rare? If so, I'm confident that Batman: Gotham City Chronicles will be my most expensive game.

That's because of the theme though. I wouldn't buy a game simply because it's rare, I have to want it or be able to flip it for a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leisenstein wrote:
I think $150 is my limit. I haven't paid that, but I've been looking at a few games in that range.

That's probably my limit, although I don't think I've ever paid that much. There are games that I wanted that I passed on because they were in the $200+ range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
ldgalperin wrote:
I was at my local half price books yesterday. They had a copy of GMT's Silent Victory, ww2 submarine game in the Pacific for $150.00.

"Half Price Books" is mainly a scam when it comes to such things. If they have a mediocre person running that department, they'll just look online, find someone else selling that same item, then mark theirs to match. I've seen them list pretty common books for huge amounts, mainly because they matched one of the Amazon algorithm screw-ups. A smart employee digs a bit deeper and then finds the actual going rate.

Lastly, I wouldn't buy from any HPB unless it was in store. I have been screwed over too many times by their online presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, rare means old and OOP, often a European title, discovered it here on a BGG forum but can't find it in the US.

$60-$100+ for titles like Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs (UK but bought from France), Escape from Atlantis (1990 ed. with all the cool minis, bought from Belgium or France, it's in French) and Space Crusade with Dreadnought expansion (bought from Netherlands, it's in Dutch). The hours of fun I've had with my kids & friends made the cost worth it. Plus I just like old stuff.

Newer games I'm less motivated to pay high prices, as I wait for folks to sell their copies on auction / GeekMarket, usually at a discount. If it's too hard to get and rarity makes price too high, pass on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends a lot on the state of my finances at the time, but I've made several purchases in the $100-$150 range. Generally if I'm buying something around that price point, it's not that far above its MSRP. I think I'd balk at paying those prices for a game that originally retailed for less than fifty dollars, for instance. I'm more interested in picking up games that were labors of love with small print runs than I am picking up a more well-known title that just happens to be out of print.

At the moment I'm not buying much of anything, but I do regret not picking up War of the Ring Collector's Edition for $500 when it was first announced. I had the money, but I was relatively new to the hobby, and hadn't yet realized how much I enjoyed the game. I might make an investment of that level a couple of times in my life, if it's something I'm certain I'll enjoy and that it will last a lifetime. But I haven't yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have paid a lot and have others give me a stupid amount of cash for rare items. At this point in life, probably wouldn't do that for a game, as I buy other rare things with my cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say, as it really depends.

I spent $40 getting the old (and not very good) TSR minigame Saga but haven't paid the $50+ for original Ogre or Melee, I waited until I could find Origins: How We Became Human for under $200+ (I think it was about $130 with shipping), I paid $100 for American Megafauna and kicked myself for not buying a copy when I saw them at closer to $50, I jumped on buying Component Game Systems Babylon 5 expansions at $30-$50 each (these rarely even pop up on the market) and got a surprise reinforcement packs in a bundle I bought (making it complete except for 2 boxes, which doesn't matter as much), and I just don't buy games that create rarity by using large amounts of kickstarter exclusives (I'm looking at you CMON). Prices included shipping.

So, how much will I pay for a game? Depends on how rare it is, how often it comes up on the market, how much I want it, and what the condition and component quantity is.

Seeing as Silent Victory is on P500 with only 139 looking for it, it doesn't like this one will make the cut any time soon (if at all) - but it is $38 plus shipping for the patient. The marketplace has the game for $90 plus shipping, I'd probably pass on $150 local unless I really wanted it (or maybe would ask to talk to a manager and see if the price could be negotiated down to $100).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.