Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused as to why so many people like this game. I've tried it and thought it fairly dull. It seemed to lack competition and be very repetitive. It also didn't capture the feel of the novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Confused
Mattias (#30703),

As a COOPERATIVE game, there isn't much competition (unless you add the Sauron expansion). It's supposed to be that way. If you want competion with OTHER PLAYERS then probably LofR is not your cup of tea.

As for the feel, LofR recreates the atmosphere of having an nearly impossible task in front of you with Sauron holding most chances of winning, IMHO. The cooperative side is also very present in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias (#30703),
I like LOTR and the theme in the game is great. However, I agree with you, the game is simply not fun.

Fredrik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias (#30703),
Might I suggest, if you haven't already tried it, Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. This game, while simple in execution, is deep in strategy. It is certainly competitive (Free peoples versus evil), and only takes 30 minutes to play! I personally love the Lord of the Rings board game for 3 or more people, and we play Confrontation when there are only 2 of us. I feel it does capture the theme of the books also, but not as much as the board game. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias (#30703),
I would suggest the expansions to add more excitement and competition. I got the base game and F&F at the same time, and added Sauron expansion about a month later. With this approach, as well as varying the number of hobbits playing, you end up with quite a bit of flexibility and varying strategy.

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.