Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Problem with Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, just played the Alliance for the first time today and felt very limited in how I could effect other players. It seems they are the worst to have as your coalition member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koleman2 wrote:
Yep, just played the Alliance for the first time today and felt very limited in how I could effect other players. It seems they are the worst to have as your coalition member.

I think the issue is that their available actions are not written on their player board, but are scattered on cards in the deck. Unless you've done the pnp yourself or played several times, you won't be able to plan ahead for any action other than what it's in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few more games and I now see how the alliance can be powerful. I’m the last game I played with them, I was scoring 7 point turns from a pretty early round with all three hideouts out and fairly protected. With all cards laid out I had easily 6-7 cards every turn to fuel my conspiracy machine. That keeps ahead of the Eyrie even if they don’t turmoil and required all other players’ collaborating to stop.

I still think they are difficult for the first few games. I am curious what are the changes planned for them in the new pnp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maciej w
Poland
Bydgoszcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrytom wrote:
I played a few more games and I now see how the alliance can be powerful. I’m the last game I played with them, I was scoring 7 point turns from a pretty early round with all three hideouts out and fairly protected. With all cards laid out I had easily 6-7 cards every turn to fuel my conspiracy machine. That keeps ahead of the Eyrie even if they don’t turmoil and required all other players’ collaborating to stop.

I still think they are difficult for the first few games. I am curious what are the changes planned for them in the new pnp.

I played first two 4p games with the Woodland Alliance and rarely I say this... but in these plays I couldn't figure out how I could have won.

The first wasn't played effectively because I did put all my sympathy tokens out and had no followers left so I had two wait 2-3 rounds in order to lay my first base (4-5 round from the start)... 2-3 more rounds and cats won by domination. I could have not stop it. However I did kill some cats with an aid from vagabond but it wasn't enough to stop the cats from winning.
The second game I did stack my cards on the followers pile and did put only one sympathy token in round 2. In round 3 I put out my first base. Quite effectively I think. Then 2 more round and I got second base (also not bad)... but 2 round from that point birds won by domination and again - I could not stop that.
So taking into account slow start with the Woodland Alliance and "sudden death" with the domination card (I have little control over how to stop cats/bird from winning by domination that early) I don’t think the game is well balanced and fun for the WA. My engine was just starting to work …. and both games ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eira Følling
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elayeth wrote:
I don’t think the game is well balanced and fun for the WA. My engine was just starting to work …. and both games ended.
I have played as the Alliance twice, both times against cats and birds. I won both games. I'm pretty sure the Alliance is my favorite base game faction to play.

All the base game factions seem pretty well balanced to me (I haven't tried the expansion factions yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is from 2017! The Alliance was completely different at that time and has been redesigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
elayeth wrote:
..."sudden death" with the domination card...

Dominance cards are strong, but a player activates them in Daylight and then has to sweat bullets through everyone else's turn to score it only on their next Birdsong. it's not secret and it's rarely as sudden as it seems. good on them if they were able to build up a defensive force in three or four areas without spreading thin enough to fall to battle, revolt, favor, sanctify, or simple change in ruler. maybe next time as WA save your recruited warriors for a big game winning burst of Sympathy and you'll also be in a good position to foil Dominance if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
elayeth wrote:

Dominance cards are strong, but a player activates them in Daylight and then has to sweat bullets through everyone else's turn to score it only on their next Birdsong. it's not secret and it's rarely as sudden as it seems. good on them if they were able to build up a defensive force in three or four areas without spreading thin enough to fall to battle, revolt, favor, sanctify, or simple change in ruler. maybe next time as WA save your recruited warriors for a big game winning burst of Sympathy and you'll also be in a good position to foil Dominance if needed.

Yet again, this is a thread from 2017. Dominance cards were one of the mechanics that went through the most redesigns before ending up in its current form which works as you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Rumbelow wrote:
elayeth wrote:

Yet again, this is a thread from 2017. Dominance cards were one of the mechanics that went through the most redesigns before ending up in its current form which works as you describe.

yes, it's been established that the WA was different in the pnp. the quoted thread was definitely necroing a thread to pile on. my response, however, was to what i understand to be an up to date play issue regarding current Dominance cards in the retail/ks game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.