ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
An entry for the 2017 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest
Current Game State: Contest Ready - Files available via links below!

Summary
A game of building Sand Castles at the beach for 2 to 4 players aged 7 and up. A full game takes about 15 minutes to play. The primary game mechanisms are push-your-luck, and set collection.

Components
44 Decorations tiles:
blank 14 sand
blank 7 smooth pebbles
blank 6 seaweed
blank 5 driftwood sticks
blank 4 pink butterfly shells
blank 3 green fan shells
blank 3 waves
blank 2 blue spiral shells

4 Optional game-changing tiles
blank 1 Blue Shovel
blank 1 Yellow Rake
blank 1 Red Crab
blank 1 White Seagull

16 Sand Castle wall designs cards
4 Sand Castle front wall cards, one for each player

Surprised Sand Castle is Surprised!

Note: Don't panic about the laser cut stuff in the images above! The PnP is really simple to make

Number of players: 2-4
Approximate Playing Time: 15 mins

Competition Categories
3 Elementary School/Early Sentences/Moderate Math - Reading at a roughly 1st Grade Level (i.e. Cat in the Hat)

Downloads
Rules (Googe Doc)
Sand Castle Walls (cards, full colour, v7, 520KB PDF)
Decoration Tiles (tiles, full colour, v6, 350KB PDF)
Tabletop Simulator Save Files (120KB Zipped archive of JSON save file and PNG thumbnail)

Design Notes
Coming soon.
Game design and illustrations (such as they are) by Ben Nelson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
So where do I get a copy of the lazer cut version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Update: Rules link added to the top post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Update: Full colour cards download link added to the top post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Update: Full colour tiles download link added to the top post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Update: Tabletop Simulator files download link added to the top post.

This includes the Seagull, but only for completeness. It's kinda useless when using a bag as a randomiser. If you're playing with 3 or 4 players, add in the cards for those. Also the Optional tiles if you want them in the mix. They have tooltip reminders of what they do.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
While the contest is open there won't be any edits to the files linked at the top. I'm going to use this thread to make note of any rules clarifications I need to fix when it's done.

Quote:

Optional Tiles
The seagull is the only one of the optional tiles that can be used in the collection phase. The others may be used during the build phase - whether the player is building or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you've printed out a copy of the game, and would like to help me test a variant, read on…

BACKGROUND
The game was intended to be fairly short to suit the age group. I also wanted players to have a "thing" in front of them as early in the game as possible - thus the starting castle wall. With the laser cut version, as soon as you've built your first wall, you have a 3D thing to play with.

ISSUE
This is a high luck game. While you can mitigate the luck somewhat by the careful choice of what you want to keep in your stash, and by watching what the other players are doing, there is still too much chance that you will not get your entire castle built by end game.

SOLUTION IN TESTING
Possible solution: make the game longer, build to 4 walls. By dropping the start walls (begin with nothing), and building up to 4 walls, the game goes for a couple of rounds longer. This gives more opportunities for the luck of the draw to even out.

TO PLAY
Only one rule change in the setup of the game: Include all of the cards - even the 4P ones.
With the files linked above, this will only work with up to 3 players.

Zap me a message with your feedback if you give this a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Better late than never, finished making Sand Castles and enjoyed a few plays. Reformatted rules on 3/4 of A4 sheet with bit bigger than card size panels such that it fit my preferred storage mode - zip lock bags.

I found the kids got a bit dispirited with all their sand castles getting knocked down by the incoming wave so we made a house rule that only one castle was destroyed - the highest point scorer. That also gives other kids a chance to catch up. Stash effect remained the same.

Not too keen on using the optional cards, the game plays fine without them. I do agree that building the 4th castle to trigger the end game is a good move as the kids were enjoying it.

I'd strongly suggest this for 5yo - 9yo kids (maybe some 4yo with good concentration) It would make an excellent birthday gift as it looks good, is easy to learn and fun to play. Reformatted rules are more concise and make the game easier to learn I think.

Kids used to be settled down to bed with a dummy (pacifier) or a book, now they have their heads in electronic stuff that overstimulates them when they need to be preparing for sleep. A game like Sand Castles quietens the kids and provides a good end of the day family bonding activity. Thanks Mr Lunch for your beachie contribution. Just what you'd expect from a sun touched Aussie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for trying it out!

Sounds like I need to clarify some rules. The waves don't knock down walls that you've built (although that *does* sound thematic). Instead, you lose some of your Stashed decorations that you've collected. Can you point me to the section of text that was confusing so I can fix it?

I have a new set of Sand Castle walls with a more fair points distribution. I'll upload the files soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My head is not in that space at the moment - (Umm ... head in the sand?? )
but it was probably "3. Any tiles that have been used to build Sand Castle Walls are returned from the Beach (See Building Sand Castle Walls below) to the Pool" - I was probably confusing beach with stash. Will have another look at it when I can muster a mob.

Cheers and thanks for the response, I only saw it as I checked back a few pages of subs threads - I seem never to have less than 200. Who knows how many useful ones get overlooked while I'm sure I pay attention to the flotsam (like the in theme reference!) hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.