Biggus Doggus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'd like to bring your attention to Core Space, the first boardgame from "3d" cardstock terrain experts, Battle Systems.

Billed as a far future skirmish game for 1-6 players, it comes with some of their lovely card terrain in the box - quick and easy to set up, and it really makes a table pop - a fantastically detailed 2' x 2' gaming mat (think thin mousemat material - flexible yet durable), some great looking minis, dashboards, custom dice, and a ruleset designed to play nice and tight at its most basic, and at the same time be hugely flexible as players choose to make things more complicated.

Play the role of a trading ship's crew, trying to survive in a galaxy that's being overrun by a mysterious enemy, the Purge, an alien race from who knows where who's sole reason for being appears to be to harvest your biomass. Battle against other similar crews (or team up where necessary) as you encounter the Purge, the Galactic Corps, other gangs, and even civilians in battle for survival.

It's a good looking game that plays fast and fun. It can most certainly be played solo, with the game's AI handling all NPCs, or with players controlling any number of crews, civilians, corps, purge etc.

IMHO, it's well worth a look.

The kickstarter has funded, with 3 weeks left to run, and can be found here :-

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/core-space/?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dock
msg tools
mbmb
If you've never had dealing with these guys then you've definitely missed out. These are two very genuine guys who always try to go that extra mile to make some fantastic products.

Check out the Kickstarter and get involved in the bonkers banter to take this great product to the next level. They are always open to suggestions on products or directions, if you don't see something now, well you probably will come the next KS.

They have a range of products already under their belt with some being available from their shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all the orphans of Earth Reborn: I find in this game some signs of such sand box game ER is, plus it is a lot more streamlined fast and easy. I am not saying it will be better, but a nice alternative and in some way different from the scifi skirmish games of these times. Just have a look by yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
I've backed this one,

Looks a lot for the money now and stretch goals can only make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lopes Robbe Caroline
France
Essars
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful terrain, interesting rules and solo mode: thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin D
United States
Lake Worth
FL
flag msg tools
This game looks like a real blast. I'm in for a huge pledge. I'm going to want all bells and whistles dreamed up for this gaming adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Byrne
England
flag msg tools
Backed. This is looking awesome. Stretch goals now unlocking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
waiting for precise AI rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M E
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Donatien wrote:
waiting for precise AI rules

In the game play video on the campaign page you can see how the different NPC types are handled. I'm not sure if they plan on providing an updated beta rules file. They have plans to release more videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
A pic of the set up and card terrain in action

The "board" is 600 x 600 mm mousemat material
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Korcz
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind to animals, DON'T eat them!
mbmbmbmbmb
Their cardstock terrain is very impressive and I should know as I backed for a very large amount in their previous Kickstarter. Now they are making a boardgame using that very same cardstock terrain and it includes solo play! My poor wallet is going to starve to death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Jelley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Love the look of this game. It’s such a different tone to other games out there and it has a built in solo mode!!! Fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lopes Robbe Caroline
France
Essars
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool fresh new add on!! Just 8£, it's worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mvaes
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Backed and planning to go all in. Really love the theme and seems like a very dedicated crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander de Heus
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Backed them on the SF terrain and really like the terrain, we are using it for Warhammer 40k and Walking dead all out war.

Seeing this terrain, i am really getting a space station / futher city feeling. Which adds so much to the game play and fun.

The game it self is also very nice and really makes you grow with you characters. If you watch the how to play vid you get a good idea of the game play!

I am hooked!! and will go ALL in!!

regards,

Sander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
x y
msg tools
I'm backing this as I'm interested by the setting, rules and the minis.

But the cyberpunk terrain also fits in so well with all of their previous Kickstarters, which are add-ons here too. Those have produced terrain that looks stunning on the table.

So, I can add it into the Sci Fi II Terrain to add a civilian centre to an Aliens infestation in AVP.

It'll be getting added to the Art Deco set and some of the Urban Apocalypse set for all sorts of Blade Runner style Cyberpunk settings. I've got Be a Better Human to look forward to. A Predator, from AVP, is also an option there.

Not to mention Walking Dead and Infinity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dump

California
msg tools
I am quite impressed with the quality of their Terrain. Not only do they stand up to lots of use, they pack the boards with tons of bobs and bits for scatter terrain or objectives. Using mine With TWD:All out War, Zombicide and our weekly RPG sessions.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the game but all the videos and a quick read through the Beta rules ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/h71exp8pnx9kn3j/Battle-Systems-Bet... )Shows real promise for repeatablility, solo, co-op or x vx x. I am envisioning a pretty long campaign for my group with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mvaes
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
All missions can also be played in co-op mode! (Which I really need to get my girlfriend motivated...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw this thread, it is making me broke angrycoollaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P K
msg tools
The game itself and the terrain look great, and I am tempted to pledge... but the core game, without any KS extras, would never ever sell at the suggested retail price of 120GBP.

The main problem is that there are way too few miniatures in there. Even with the KS extras you don't have enough Galactic Guard, Gang members, Civilians and Purge (other than Harvesters) to play the game as intended. Sure, they might add some of each of these as stretch goals, but that doesn't make the base game any more playable. And SG's should be about making giving ever more value for money because of high sales, not about making the game complete. Compare this to other KS miniature games like Massive Darkness, Zombicide etc.

Another shame is that the base game only supports two players (and optionally an extra player to take the role of game master, although that defeats the purpose of a coop game). And finally, the prices of add-ons are mostly quite high. 16GBP for 4 man-sized plastic miniatures is high even if you are used to GW prices, and the terrain add-ons are simply full-price sets from their website, without any KS discounts.

Seeing the price they charge for just 4 miniatures, maybe they have a very bad deal on plastic components?

I'm sorry this sounds overly negative. It's by no means my intention to sway people away from this KS - on the contrary, if the designers would put a little more variety into the base game miniatures, and give some sort of deal on the terrain add-ons (discount, or maybe offer the KS versions of those sets), not only would I pledge immediately for the base game and multiple add-ons, but I'm sure many more backers would flood in, and existing ones would increase their pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P K
msg tools
I wrote the above before I saw the new Titan pledge level they added this morning. This pledge is a good step up value-wise from the base pledge, and it did indeed cause a surge in pledges.

My feelings about the number of miniatures included is still valid though - more rank and file miniatures are required to enjoy the game as intended (Purge other than Harvesters, gang members, Galactic Guard, civilians), and miniatures are too expensive as add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggus Doggus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
victoryzine wrote:
Screw this thread, it is making me broke angrycoollaugh

That's Battle Systems for ya, stealing your wallet, one note at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I feel the same way about the lack of miniatures, specifically Corps (only two in the base set). I'm convinced more Corps, Civilians and gang members added to the set would make this more fun. Throw in more harvesters and each game will feel more unpredictable and force players to use their traders more strategically
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindon Paxton
msg tools
The new "Mini Mega Deal" looks pretty good as for £35 you get both the £16 Metropolitan pack and the Gangs and Guards £16 pack plus a whole new 4 character ships crew with their bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls