el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think KDM team should group all the existing concepts into 5 different core games with definite endings and marked storyline:

Plain of faces with King as final boss

Inverted mountain with Mountain man as final boss

Abyssal Woods with Dragon Goblin as final boss

Holy lands with Golden Entity as final boss

Great City with -don't know what- as final boss

and Scribe as final boss of any of the core storylines before or final of all of them

That would be linear, precise and worth of playing (instead of lame endings as it is now) at least for the sense of worth exploration of some sub-sections of the terrible kingdom death world.

I see (from Abyssal woods grouping, Inverted Mountain grouping)they are trying to line up things as listed before; but I see also that plain of faces got Ivory Dragon as endboss instead of King (which would have rapresented the most logic option) and it seams to be another lame and lorelack monster
(my 5 cents)

What are your opinions about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought (no reason, except exposition) that the King had to do with the Great City.

Also, the monster hierarchy would be:

kings and its cohorts:
Scribe > King > Hand > King's Men

Great Game Hunters in the Great City don't seem to be monsters at all (since they fit 30mm bases, they are either playable or minions), so their full hierarchy (that includes nobles, cooks, doctors, ammo slaves and the best of all: human cogs in the sewers ) is a bit less interesting in a campaign-divided-by-lore-and-endboss.

Watchers are there to destroy settlement not worthy enough to be harvested by the scribe, so they are there acting as time bombs.

There are architects, twilight knights and white speakers, which are part of their respective orders and have a different world view, but since they are corollary to each story (possibly, not that much corollary to the original LF story, maybe they are last remaining survivors keeping the history of the world and opposing the scribe because, who knows or will ever know? Man, I'd buy a campaign setting for this )

It is likely that a fully developed settlement either becomes part of the great city, or it just has to do with the great city.

Nothing to say, but it could be that the great city is under the direct rule of the king, and that all of these guys you get are there to test you if you are worthy of being added to the big city. Maybe that's the scribe's plan (of course, at a certain point, he kills everyone for some reason, but not before you kick its loincloth-covered-or-not-covered ass).

About abyssal woods and inverted mountain, it is already like you said, at least as far as we know.

About Holy Lands, Adam stated multiple times that holy lands are a place for heroes, not for survivors. Survivors are just not powerful enough, so the golden entity will be reserved for another game.

About Satan twins and Ivory Dragon, those are like the GSK: an alternate take to how Lantern Festival could have developed, since LF was cancelled.

So, the GSK is just a powerful knight from a big settlement in the plain of faces that was defeated by the lion god and its parasite, and now just roams the land, broken, because All is Ashes, and just wants to destroy everything (basically, a teenage boy in its nihilistic phase).

Silver City expansion will tell us about this relationship (possibly), as well as will talk about all these Necromancers and Necromancer Bosses that are there.

Ivory Dragon is what happens when you survive GSK, because Satan Twins are there to roam the land and be as degenerate as they can, and well, the story is not yet there, so we can just guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C SS
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that the King would have made the most sense as a final boss for the core game (or as a +5 years expansion), but i guess Poots has other plans for it, since it would have been an easy option for him to add (if i remember right, the mini was already prepared to be made in plastic).

I'm thinking the GSK is some sort of living bomb sent to ruin the King's meal before he arrives (or maybe to prepare it).

But i really don't know where the Ivory dragon fits in the lore, or how it will be added after the GSK (same for the dragon goblin outside of the woods campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All your words are true and I wonder: shall we really wait 2021 or more to get a real end to KDM at least for plain of faces + big city, in other words to that kind of lore which rotates around faces and king?

(I don't believe Ivory Dragon can be a substitute of King for that role..it is just another gold smoke knight)

Just because an interrupted storyline is such sad for a great and fun game as KDM is capable to be.
(lots of friends are whining for there is no sense to play with all that story and lore if they can't discover the truth on the world after 60 + hours of playing! and they are right, it kill half of the fun... without a decent ending all that storytelling could be cut and instead only read "okay you got that stat +1 / you can't wear stinky etcetera")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the most impressive part of the KD:M project is the story is told through allusion and artwork. There's no real narrative to it. Just the storyline that emerges over the course of a campaign. Having it be a more linear narrative like a video game culminating in fighting the big bad would ruin the mystique and kill some of the magic. I also think that it succeeds as a horror game because you can't really win. Even when you do, you don't. My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.