Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this appears to be a direct copy of the Japanese game 'A Fake Artist Goes to New York', but with brief paragraphs around the target words instead of just the words. A Fake Artist Goes to New York is a small independent game, and this one is a copy that goes to mass market stores across the U.S. ... it's the same game, in different packaging! How is this okay??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: I speak binaryMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: xkcd fan
Maybe it's licensed and re-themed legitimately? If not, it's a blatant rip-off by a company which mainly produces mediocre-at-best word games.

Since you can't copyright board game mechanics, it's legal, although sleazy if in fact it's not licensed from the Japanese original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovalic
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
According to Oink, they have nothing to do with it:

https://twitter.com/muskrat_john/status/934174443550670848

"It is written that the game is a reimplementation of our “A Fake Artist Goes to NY”. But we have nothing to do with this game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Darlington
msg tools
designer
mb
BGG needs a Report Game button. This is theft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There is already precedent that you can legally copy mechanics of games, even if obviously making something almost identical.
However, five years later, slightly different mechanics for assigning words and roles, an actual theme, and a higher quality production... this is not straight up "theft."
Definitely uninspired.
But it would be a sad industry if only one game could have worker placement, a different one with card drafting, a different one with die rolling, only one with dudes on a map, etc.
This one gets a big MEH from me, but I find the outrage a little surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
It's really that bad?
I find this approach somewhat refreshing. The rules are the same but the vibe is certainly not.

Fake Artist already influenced creation of some other games. Perhaps Spyfall was invented independently, but Gooseberry/Chameleon acknowledges it as inspiration. Sunken Saylor is certainly closest to the original but it is generally very simple concept.

While ruleset-wise both games are basically the same, Sunken Saylor is provided with story card while you have to come up with own themes in Fake Artist. Anyone who played both implementations of Rikki's design (Gooseberry and Chameleon) knows that it can make difference.
While it is much easier to think up on word in Fake Artist than prepare board of sixteen words in Gooseberry, one still has to make it oneself. I've seen people struggle with it.
Sunken Sailor is ready to play without this preparating stage out of the box. It fits mass market game better. The possibilities are much more limited but this still could be better solution for some groups. And it's not only the words - while not affecting the gameplay, I find the story aspect of presentating the word to every player very clever.

When I think about it, it's not only aestethic and fluff too. In Fake Artist there is a Question Maker who not only chooses the word but also works with Fake Artist to accomplish common goal. Sunken Sailor on the other hand stand completely on his own. This is small rules difference that makes the game similar to Spyfall and Chameleon in that matter.

That said, I will of course not buy it. I don't need similar game that don't come with a new interesting twist (and I have all of there mentioned games). I don't think that such simple party game should come in wooden box. I don't like swearwords in game that would work perfectly with family and children otherwise. I can't even buy it, because it is only sold in Target, where I don't have access to, and I also don't like such exclusivity.
I like Oink Games, original Jun's is still better for me and I would prefer the game to acknowledge it's influences, but frankly it is only the last straw. As Dizz said, you can't protect game mechanics and you shouldn't call it theft. For me it is better if designers can freely derive from other's work.

Brandizzle wrote:
a higher quality production...
I would say that Fake Artist has higher quality. It has unique design with overall integrity and attention to details. It's just Oink game. Components are also as good as they can be.
Sunken Sailor looks like self-published game that one could make on their own from easy available materials. It's surprising for me that cards have rounded corners because it doesn't fit my overall impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls