Subject: (Slight Spoilers) Supply Center question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The question I have is: Does a Supply Center built "not on the grid" count?

After we did a Recon of North America, Los Angeles was not on the grid. But the Airlift card allowed us to move to any space on the map. We built our supply Center there to boost the population, even though it wasn't on the grid.

Did that count? Was that a legal move? Or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Snyder
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see nothing in the rules that would prevent you from doing this. The card does say move to any location - it does not say the location needs to be on the grid, and I can't see anything skimming the rules that would override the text of the card either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it doesn't explicitly say so, I'd rule that you can only airlift to places on the grid. Having a character off the grid creates weird issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
It would be hard to get out though, you'd have to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
make supplies there, and connect to cities that are on the grid
to get back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaya John
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's quirky. As others have said, it sounds legal but possibly unintended. It raises some interesting possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way you can get out of an unconnected location is to use the character that can move one pawn to another or if building the supply center ends the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Snyder
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I would not be surprised if someone ‘official’ clarifies the rule to state it has to be on the grid. My bet is this was the final supply center needed for the objective and the game ended, so no need to leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
Folkestone
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmb
stackey83 wrote:
The other way you can get out of an unconnected location is to use the character that can move one pawn to another or if building the supply center ends the game.

Or...

...by using the Shuttle Flight action if it were available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
ConnerCP wrote:
Indeed, I would not be surprised if someone ‘official’ clarifies the rule to state it has to be on the grid. My bet is this was the final supply center needed for the objective and the game ended, so no need to leave.

You guessed correctly. When we saw that LA (and Mexico City) had only one population, we were worried. After all, we had that Turning Point card that said "If a city reaches 0, scratch", and we thought something really bad would happen. So we thought that since a Supply Center increases population, and Infection cards aren't added if cities aren't on the grid...

We connected San Fransisco and Mexico City to LA, but didn't have them connected to the grid. We just didn't count them until we linked to them in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If airlift says any location and didn't specify "on the grid", that strategy sounds legit to me!

As far as I know that doesn't cause any issues. Hopefully nobody official chimes in to retcon it, I like clever strategies like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rice
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Skyrim 2 is coming, right? Yes, I know Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5...
badge
Not a Cylon
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
ConnerCP wrote:

You guessed correctly. When we saw that LA (and Mexico City) had only one population, we were worried. After all, we had that Turning Point card that said "If a city reaches 0, scratch", and we thought something really bad would happen. So we thought that since a Supply Center increases population, and Infection cards aren't added if cities aren't on the grid...

We connected San Fransisco and Mexico City to LA, but didn't have them connected to the grid. We just didn't count them until we linked to them in March.

I ran into he same concern (newly added cities falling to 0 before I can supply them), and actually had it happen to Santiago, but discovered shortly thereafter I had made a rules mistake:

Although the player cards for newly connected cities go in the discard, the INFECTION cards go in the Game End area. Newly connected cities can only be infected by outbreak, so connect away! You’ll get a chance to increase their population via production post-game, shielding them from being Forsaken.

Although your airlift plan might not technically break the rules, it probably goes against the spirit - without a connection to the grid there’s no way to get the supplies needed to build over there. They certainly don’t count for end of game production purposes. Not a big issue either way - the population had to go somewhere, and you likely did yourself more harm by not getting them connected for productoin purposes anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
Matt620 wrote:
The question I have is: Does a Supply Center built "not on the grid" count?

After we did a Recon of North America, Los Angeles was not on the grid. But the Airlift card allowed us to move to any space on the map. We built our supply Center there to boost the population, even though it wasn't on the grid.

Did that count? Was that a legal move? Or not?

Whoever in your group thought of that one has my deep admiration. Kudos.

It's clearly legal according to the wording of the card; I seriously doubt that it was intended. Not least, it makes for some weird possibilities as the game progresses and other mechanics come into play. And it's clearly establishing one or more Cities that are "sort-of" in the game, but likely immune from the twists and turns of the story as it unwinds, ready to be "deployed" when the players choose. I rather doubt that giving the players that sort of power was intended; it certainly doesn't seem to fit very well with the players' back-story.

But it's a really neat idea, if it's considered legal. Plus it also originally struck me as the sort of thing that a designer might well choose to leave in a Legacy game, as a gift to anyone sharp enough to spot it. I know that it would certainly be a VERY useful tactic to deploy in my own group's game right now, if it were to present itself (ignoring the fact that our funding is currently zero anyway...)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It seems legit from a RAW perspective but is almost certainly not RAI.

Plus it requires to to have funding, choose Airlift, draw it at the right time, AND not have a better thing to do with it than this.

Which seems dubious.

I suspect Airlift should just say 'on the grid'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.