Popular Tags: [View All]
Renuka Govind
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw a this question about coins for Agra in this thread . Didn't want to go off topic there so creating this thread.

Historically, ​Agra as we all know is based on the time of Akbar who was the 3rd ruler of Mughal dynasty. During his time there were 3 types of coins- copper, silver and gold. Interestingly, Akbar's silver coins were called Rupia which are Indian Rupees today (significantly different from now). Adding images grabbed from a quick search of those coins from the reign of Akbar for reference, in case someone wants to be authentic about it.

It's quite hard to find these. I tried searching in the city I am in right now, so far no luck. Will post if I find something.

Best,
Renu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exact matches but I think still quite thematic:

Indian coins
Persian & Asia Minor coins

Those are the largest ("jumbo") coins of each series with them going down all the way down to "tiny" size for a total of 5 sizes for each series. I would only use medium, large, and jumbo myself, as the 2 smallest sizes (small and tiny) are too small for practical use IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Indian coins

Those are the largest ("jumbo") coins of each series with them going down all the way down to "tiny" size for a total of 5 sizes for each series. I would only use medium, large, and jumbo myself, as the 2 smallest sizes (small and tiny) are too small for practical use IMO.

The small is bigger than a U.S. penny...

I figure I could go with:

30 small (value 1)
24 medium (value 2)
27 large (value 5)
6 extra large (value 20)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frahminator wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Indian coins

The small is bigger than a U.S. penny...

I figure I could go with:

30 small (value 1)
24 medium (value 2)
27 large (value 5)
6 extra large (value 20)

Thoughts?

I only go with 1, 5, and 20 denominations for most games (I consider anything between 1 and 5 as a waste since they're a hassle for so little benefit) so I'd skip small altogether and add more of the other 3 sizes, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A heads up from my experience, our 4p game last night was a little short on low denominations. There was plenty of money in total throughout the game, but change had to be made several times, mainly due to excessive use of ones during merchant moves. Hidden money in small bags complicates this further.

Making change is something best avoided in this game because it adds unnecessary bookkeeping to a game that already carries a significant cognitive load.

If your going to pimp, I would opt for roughly doubling the ones denomination (28 -> ~60) and increasing the total money supply by about 10% (328 -> ~360).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.