6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Forbidden Stars vs Star Wars Rebellion with Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scohr Dark
msg tools
mb
Which of the two would you recommend? I've been reading the main weakness of rebellion was the combat system, which is also Forbidden Stars' strength. And the expansion may fix that. So does the Rebellion Expansion vault it over Forbidden Stars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever want to play with more than 2, Forbidden Stars for sure. Rebellion 3-4p support is not great to put it mildly. Otherwise I'd say it's a toss up between which theme you prefer. Both are complex, engaging, thematic games that will take quite a while to play.
FWIW, I own both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us the battle system of Star Wars never was a problem, allthough they seem to made it better with the expansion.

For me, SW delivers a real story while playing it, like playing through another Star Wars movie. There are small skirmishes with high losses, just to get some task done for the rebellion. These have to be planed and prepared to succeed. Then there is the thread of the huge imperial fleet..

It's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The combat system in Star Wars Rebellion is the weakest part of the game. It is OK (no worse than most other games), but the rest of the game is so awesome that it makes the combat look ordinary. Combat is not the focus of the game. The game is mostly about the missions. Star Wars Rebellion really feels like Star Wars.

Last week someone asked me my current favourite game. I answered "Star Wars Rebellion" and "7th continent" even though I have not gotten Star wars rebellion to the table in over 4 months.

I have not played "Forbidden Stars". Frankly, "Forbidden Stars" looks dull. I am tired of that type of game. So you have to judge what you are looking for in a game.

The fact that there is so much to "Star Wars Rebellion" other than combat is what makes it shine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the two games are sci-fi games in space they are really quite different. I own Forbidden Stars and have played Star Wars quite a few times. I really enjoy both games.

Forbidden Stars is a great strategy game with an aggressive combat focus. Star Wars Rebellion is also a great strategy game but it is very asymmetrical and combat is not the general focus of the game. (Although there are usually one or two key battles in every game.)

As other people have stated, if you want to play with more than 2 then Forbidden Stars wins hands down. I've tried Rebellion with 4 players and it was not nearly as enjoyable as it is with 2.

On the Rebellion side they will continue to have expansion support while Forbidden Stars will not due to licensing changes. The 4 starting races are all you get. (Mind you, there is an unofficial fan-made expansion which is supposed to be great which you can find on the BGG files section for the game.)

Forbidden Stars combat is great. In my semi-limited experience I don't think I've seen a better battle resolution system for this scale.

However, the combat in Rebellion, even the standard version, is fine. I don't know why people were so up in arms about it. I haven't tried the combat with the expansion yet (although my friend who owns the game does have it now) so I can't comment on that.

So really it's up to your opinion as most of these things end up being. I don't think you can go wrong with either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Forbidden Stars.

I have played both. Star Wars Rebellion is long and a bit samey - once you have played both sides I feel like you have seen 99% of what the game offered. The combat system in it was pants - your decisions were pretty much autopilot or pointless. The theme helps but if it had a different theme it would be ranked a lot lower.

Forbidden Stars is shorter game for 2 player. The combination of mechanics in this game makes it a rich experience that is never the same - you build your combat deck as you go, you can shaft players with your timing, you can all out or build an engine to win. Combat is very strong one of the best systems I haver seen. I think Forbidden Stars is best at 3 but it is a very good 2p and a very good 4p (perhaps a little too long for my tastes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.