Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player rule variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I’m still testing out this idea so please don’t flame me lol. Play 3 cards with any symbol to defeat any one encounter symbol. Basically 3 would equal one wild. I may go up to 4 or 5 cards. It’s a big sacrifice spend 3,4, or 5 cards for one but in desperate times you take desperate measures. Thematically it would represent exerting all your effort to overcome an challenge and not just sit there and cycle your cards in hope for the next round.

One of my biggest frustrations of the 2p game is playing well and then having one encounter symbol completely stonewall both characters for a round or two. This has happened to me a few times where I have 2 characters with 8-9 cards between them and just don’t have the one symbol you need to keep going. I had no money so you can’t buy it for the next round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I would suggest trying it out as a background skill, and make it a one time per game only. This would mimic the other similar background skills of paying two colorless for one class-specific color.

Let us know how it goes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sculder_8P wrote:
Interesting.

I would suggest trying it out as a background skill, and make it a one time per game only. This would mimic the other similar background skills of paying two colorless for one class-specific color.

Let us know how it goes.


I do like the once per game idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garstig wrote:
Sculder_8P wrote:
Interesting.

I would suggest trying it out as a background skill, and make it a one time per game only. This would mimic the other similar background skills of paying two colorless for one class-specific color.

Let us know how it goes.


I do like the once per game idea!


There are backgrounds that allow once-per-game: (2)->X where X is a specific color.

There are also 5xp features that allow (2)->X once per round.

You probably need to make sure no-one is voiding in a suit and be sure to have folks buy one or two cards in the weak suit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kash
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garstig wrote:
Ok I’m still testing out this idea so please don’t flame me lol. Play 3 cards with any symbol to defeat any one encounter symbol. Basically 3 would equal one wild. I may go up to 4 or 5 cards. It’s a big sacrifice spend 3,4, or 5 cards for one but in desperate times you take desperate measures. Thematically it would represent exerting all your effort to overcome an challenge and not just sit there and cycle your cards in hope for the next round.

One of my biggest frustrations of the 2p game is playing well and then having one encounter symbol completely stonewall both characters for a round or two. This has happened to me a few times where I have 2 characters with 8-9 cards between them and just don’t have the one symbol you need to keep going. I had no money so you can’t buy it for the next round.


There are several problems with the 2p game.
1.Taking Damage: More encounters will face you and do damage to you; in a 4 p game usually someone can take out an encounter turn 1 or start of turn 2, in a 2p game your lucky if you kill something turn 2 so someone has to eat damage for 2-3 rounds and if its doing 2dmg that 6 points and you will die next scene.
2.Handing out Damage: You do not have enough cards to kill some encounters, unless you are able to buy a sweet hand for scene 2 or 3, but normally you will not have enough cards, damage, to get past tough encounters.
3. Surprise: you lose two cards, what cant do anything now, sorry take some damage. next turn: oh you only have three cards sorry take some damage. If one player gets a brutal encounter that messes there turn up or has a crazy ability other players can come to the rescue, but in a two player game thats usually not possible. Sorry

So clearly one bless card is a joke in terms of balancing this game for 2 players. You need to take locations out of the deck and maybe some enemies (Roper), also some scenarios have to be modified (Portcullis) perhaps with fewer encounters being drawn. Yes Dragonfire started at -2 but that does not help with the fact that you simply dont have enough damage on turn one to kill a bunny let alone the monsters this game throws at you from its "level 1" encounter decks. Perhaps more starting gold would help as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not about to heavily modify the game, but sinkhole and roper can suck it. Those two cards are way too tough for their respective decks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the campaign with my wife. We've played all the adventures in the campaign order, and has side trips to the Dungeon and Portcullis when appropriate.

After finishing, I can honestly say that at no time during the entire campaign was I ever in a position where spending (3) to get one specific color would have ever been considered as an acceptable option.

Damage icons, especially in 2p, are too precious to downgrade for specificity.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masked Guido
msg tools
Is this game just extremely difficult for 2p? We have failed the intro scenario (dungeon crawl)7 times in a row and keep reading the rules thinking that we left something out.

We get to scene 3 and just cannot generate enough damage to outrace the monsters. We even get to scene 3 with Dragonfire level 0 most of the time o.O
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaskedGuido wrote:
Is this game just extremely difficult for 2p? We have failed the intro scenario (dungeon crawl)7 times in a row and keep reading the rules thinking that we left something out.

We get to scene 3 and just cannot generate enough damage to outrace the monsters. We even get to scene 3 with Dragonfire level 0 most of the time o.O


It takes skill to pilot with 2p.

What race/classes are you using?
Have you read all relevant strategy articles in the strategy section?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kash
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaskedGuido wrote:
Is this game just extremely difficult for 2p? We have failed the intro scenario (dungeon crawl)7 times in a row and keep reading the rules thinking that we left something out.

We get to scene 3 and just cannot generate enough damage to outrace the monsters. We even get to scene 3 with Dragonfire level 0 most of the time o.O

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/byronczimmer Is a far better player than I. I had a huge problem winning 2 player. I ended up taking 2 characters a piece between my gf and I for a total of 4 and immediately did started racking up wins. I would also like to know how he won portcullis with 2P. The damage One player takes while focusing on one enemy is staggering, literally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getsumaiki wrote:
MaskedGuido wrote:
Is this game just extremely difficult for 2p? We have failed the intro scenario (dungeon crawl)7 times in a row and keep reading the rules thinking that we left something out.

We get to scene 3 and just cannot generate enough damage to outrace the monsters. We even get to scene 3 with Dragonfire level 0 most of the time o.O

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/byronczimmer Is a far better player than I. I had a huge problem winning 2 player. I ended up taking 2 characters a piece between my gf and I for a total of 4 and immediately did started racking up wins. I would also like to know how he won portcullis with 2P. The damage One player takes while focusing on one enemy is staggering, literally.


My SO and I just won the Bodyguards Adventure on the first try. Sure, it was a close win, but we really came through (playing one character each, 2p, 2 characters).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getsumaiki wrote:
MaskedGuido wrote:
Is this game just extremely difficult for 2p? We have failed the intro scenario (dungeon crawl)7 times in a row and keep reading the rules thinking that we left something out.

We get to scene 3 and just cannot generate enough damage to outrace the monsters. We even get to scene 3 with Dragonfire level 0 most of the time o.O

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/byronczimmer Is a far better player than I. I had a huge problem winning 2 player. I ended up taking 2 characters a piece between my gf and I for a total of 4 and immediately did started racking up wins. I would also like to know how he won portcullis with 2P. The damage One player takes while focusing on one enemy is staggering, literally.


We did potculis as a lvl 4 adventure. Our first run we had the gate hold back 10 encounters before breaching. That was bad. The second time we managed to dispatch the first two obstacles in one turn, allowing us to breach with only 2 obstacles. Persistence pays off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getsumaiki wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/byronczimmer Is a far better player than I.


We all start at zero.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kash
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I planned to take two characters to level 5, so running two a piece with my GF is working out well; I really enjoy the 4 player game and seeing each class shine: arcane: awesome spells, fighter: eat damage, devotion: heal, Rouge: level damage or card manipulation. I kind of wish there were more high level spells for cleric, like something to help with a save or something. But I think the game was clearly made to have all 4 classes in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getsumaiki wrote:
Personally, I planned to take two characters to level 5, so running two a piece with my GF is working out well; I really enjoy the 4 player game and seeing each class shine: arcane: awesome spells, fighter: eat damage, devotion: heal, Rouge: level damage or card manipulation. I kind of wish there were more high level spells for cleric, like something to help with a save or something. But I think the game was clearly made to have all 4 classes in play.


There are green magic items that affect Saves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getsumaiki wrote:
Personally, I planned to take two characters to level 5, so running two a piece with my GF is working out well; I really enjoy the 4 player game and seeing each class shine: arcane: awesome spells, fighter: eat damage, devotion: heal, Rouge: level damage or card manipulation. I kind of wish there were more high level spells for cleric, like something to help with a save or something. But I think the game was clearly made to have all 4 classes in play.


I will say that where the cleric lacks in good spell cards (besides spiritual weapon which is just the best card in the game in my opinion) the druid market cards are awesome. Ongoing damage over an entire scene? Yes please.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one advantage to being a primary devotion character instead of taking GREEN as a secondary role, and it's subtle. I hinted at it in my Level One Strategy article:
Dragonfire Level One Strategy - Delving and Wandering the Wastes

My wife and I are trying out another 2p run, this time she's playing a Devotion Character. We'll see how it goes and if that difference matters in the long run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
There is one advantage to being a primary devotion character instead of taking GREEN as a secondary role, and it's subtle. I hinted at it in my Level One Strategy article:
Dragonfire Level One Strategy - Delving and Wandering the Wastes

My wife and I are trying out another 2p run, this time she's playing a Devotion Character. We'll see how it goes and if that difference matters in the long run.


Right now my SO and I are running through Fighter and Wizard but I think out next characters will be Rogue and Druid. I played a quick game to show some friends and played as druid and really loved their cards and the feel of the character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This second time we're a pair of half orc refugees (Fighter with Arcane aspirations / Cleric with a tricky side).

I wanted to give the base characters a shot, so we're not including any content from the Heroes of the Sword Coast box (which includes not having access to Color Spray, which may or may not make us sad, we'll find out).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Colour Spray, but ended up taking it out for our two player game. There is just usually other better choices and didn't want them to clog up the market.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
This second time we're a pair of half orc refugees (Fighter with Arcane aspirations / Cleric with a tricky side).

I wanted to give the base characters a shot, so we're not including any content from the Heroes of the Sword Coast box (which includes not having access to Color Spray, which may or may not make us sad, we'll find out).



My main trio is a Half-Orc party with Fighter, Rogue and Cleric. I think you'll like the combo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.