Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
Just a heads-up that submissions for the 2018 Cardboard Edison Award will be open from Jan. 1 to Jan. 31, 2018.

Now entering its third year, the award recognizes great unpublished board game designs!

Check the award page on the Cardboard Edison website for the full rules and timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a former submission that I've significantly revised. I'm unable to find anything in the submission rules against it. Is it something that you would advise against or do you think it's okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cole
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Escape Velocity Games! Yay!
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:
I have a former submission that I've significantly revised. I'm unable to find anything in the submission rules against it. Is it something that you would advise against or do you think it's okay?

I don't think there's anything against it in the rules. As a judge for this one and the last two, I like the idea of people incorporating feedback and then resubmitting the games. You might not get the same judge and would end up with completely different feedback.

Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
debiant wrote:

That's absolutely allowed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Psyched for this. I may even enter two games.

I'm wondering if Cardboard Edison have stats on how many previous entries/finalists have been picked up for publication?

I'd also be interested to hear from previous winners who have been published on their experience, and what they got from the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
PaddyB wrote:
Psyched for this. I may even enter two games.

I'm wondering if Cardboard Edison have stats on how many previous entries/finalists have been picked up for publication?

I'd also be interested to hear from previous winners who have been published on their experience, and what they got from the competition.

The Blood of an Englishman and Castell, which won the first two years, both went on to be picked up by Renegade Game Studios. Also, at least two other finalists have received contracts from publishers.

This year we're going to be releasing a "best practices" e-book that will include the kind of interviews you're describing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first entry into the contest (Spyzinger) received an honorable mention and has been picked up by a publisher as well... set to be released in 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I haven't found a publisher yet for my game (Routes of Steel '73) which finished in second place in 2016, I got great feedback from the judges! Highly recommended contest!

Congratulations to you Lucas!

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevencole wrote:
debiant wrote:

I don't think there's anything against it in the rules. As a judge for this one and the last two, I like the idea of people incorporating feedback and then resubmitting the games. You might not get the same judge and would end up with completely different feedback.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

This was my feeling on the subject, but I wanted to double check. I think it will be interesting to get feedback on the game. The core game loop has stayed the same, while the game has been taken to a new level which I hope judges will appreciate. I'm really looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
Submissions are now officially open!

http://cardboardedison.com/award

Final deadline for submissions is Jan. 31, 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio E. Nazario
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been looking forward to this for a while, question: How strict is the 5 minute video limit?? I have two submissions but the videos are 6 and 8 minutes, I go through some of the rules on both videos so I can probably cut some of it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardEdison wrote:
Submissions are now officially open!

http://cardboardedison.com/award

Final deadline for submissions is Jan. 31, 2018.

Very impressed with the ebook, kudos to you guys. Can't wait to enter my game. Working on the rulebook as we speak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
Junazaru wrote:
Been looking forward to this for a while, question: How strict is the 5 minute video limit?? I have two submissions but the videos are 6 and 8 minutes, I go through some of the rules on both videos so I can probably cut some of it. Thanks!

Good question. We ask the judges to look at videos that are five minutes or less, so if the video is longer than that we just can't guarantee that it will be viewed past the five-minute mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Zang
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OH YEAH! I'll be submitting for sure! Thanks for the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio E. Nazario
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardEdison wrote:
Junazaru wrote:

Good question. We ask the judges to look at videos that are five minutes or less, so if the video is longer than that we just can't guarantee that it will be viewed past the five-minute mark.

Thank you for the response. I was able to cut all videos to 5 minutes and some change, hopefully that will be okay. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I entered last year but didn't have anything ready for this year. I may enter next year. I like the contest, I appreciate tremendously the amount of effort that Chris and Suzanne put into it, and I think they've assembled a stellar panel of judges and have a good and fair evaluation process.

But, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I don't like the video requirement. I posted this in another thread and thought it would be worth pasting it in here as well:

Quote:
There is no correlation between "I have designed a really good game" and "I have video editing skills"/"I am able to appear charismatic on camera". These are completely orthogonal.

Yes, we can all seek to improve and acquire new skills, but I don't think publishers and contests are doing designers a favor by asking them to acquire a skill that has nothing to do with designing a good game. Designing games is challenging, often thankless, and bears little hope of remuneration. We do it because we enjoy it, and contests and publishers with open submissions are the glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, something can come of all this effort that we and our playtesters put in. Asking designers to jump through more hoops can extinguish that glimmer!

I'll also note that I think that contests that ask for these things probably do so with the best of intentions -- "we want to let your passion for your game come through in your video!" In addition to the issue that not everyone is an extrovert with an outgoing on-camera persona, the bigger problem is that for many designers, we want the game, and not our passion for it, to be what is judged. No BGG review has ever said "man, awful game but the designer is so enthusiastic about it, so it's an 8/10 for me". The game itself is the designer's statement about the game. Let the games do the talking.

Repeated for emphasis: the game itself is the designer's statement about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
But, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I don't like the video requirement. I posted this in another thread and thought it would be worth pasting it in here as well:

Quote:
There is no correlation between "I have designed a really good game" and "I have video editing skills"/"I am able to appear charismatic on camera". These are completely orthogonal.

Yes, we can all seek to improve and acquire new skills, but I don't think publishers and contests are doing designers a favor by asking them to acquire a skill that has nothing to do with designing a good game. Designing games is challenging, often thankless, and bears little hope of remuneration. We do it because we enjoy it, and contests and publishers with open submissions are the glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, something can come of all this effort that we and our playtesters put in. Asking designers to jump through more hoops can extinguish that glimmer!

I'll also note that I think that contests that ask for these things probably do so with the best of intentions -- "we want to let your passion for your game come through in your video!" In addition to the issue that not everyone is an extrovert with an outgoing on-camera persona, the bigger problem is that for many designers, we want the game, and not our passion for it, to be what is judged. No BGG review has ever said "man, awful game but the designer is so enthusiastic about it, so it's an 8/10 for me". The game itself is the designer's statement about the game. Let the games do the talking.

Repeated for emphasis: the game itself is the designer's statement about the game.

I somewhat agree here. The video requirement is the reason I didn't have an entry this year. I had two games I felt were ready to go, and had the entry requirements all complete for both of them, but was never able to get a video made. I don't have video editing equipment, or a location suitable for filming, and with three kids, a job, and plenty of other obligations, I never found the time during the day to do a video. Most of my game designing happens at night when the kids are asleep, and that's not a time I'm able to set up a table to film a video. Besides, as Jeff said, I don't have the personality for video. I do written reviews on my blog because I don't like video.

That said, I do think it's important for a designer to be able to sell his/her game if they're interested in getting it published. In-person pitches are one way to do this and the video is supposed to be a variant of that. But a well crafted sell-sheet with a good cover letter can also be a great way to do that. I'm fine with having a requirement for entry be some kind of 'sales pitch', but it would be great if there were options other than a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Maybe instead of a video file we can do an audio. Maybe sing a song about our game?

I never thought that I could be so satisfied
Every time that I look at cards and the board size
A shock inside me that words just can’t describe
And the rules need explaining.

The way you move your meeples I can’t deny
Every word from your rulebook is a lullaby
A twist of fate makes game worthwhile
I need gold and silver.

I said I wasn’t gonna lose my turn
But then pop! Goes my round
(Pop! Goes my round)
I wasn’t gonna fail the roll again
But then pop! Goes my round
(Pop! Goes my round)
And I just can’t let you win
I can’t lose these workers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Maybe instead of a video file we can do an audio. Maybe sing a song about our game?

OK Ben where is the soundcloud link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.