Sam Mason
msg tools
For those who are considering buying King of New York to play with little boys yet are on still the fence, I just want to say that it worked extremely well for us.

I can’t say King of Tokyo would work better as he hasn’t played it yet, but from how KONY went with my 5 year old, if your kid is anything like mine, I’d say it’s very likely that KONY would be the better game. How so? Because he likes having the jets and tanks, the superstar card, leaving his borough to one that doesn’t have military units, basically those aspects that are not found in KOT.

Granted KOT would have been easier for him to understand, but I think the main thing that makes KOT fun is the cards. Now my son doesn’t play well with the cards (he constantly forgets what they’re supposed to do, and they change from game to game so he constantly has to re-learn them). But all the rest of the rules, he’s almost got them down just 4 plays in. If we take most of the aspects of the game away like in KOT, he would have a lot less to do and I think he’d probably miss them.

I guess because the cards involve reading thus making him enjoy them less, having other things to do that he can understand is what makes KONY shine for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Monchoux
msg tools
Thanks for this. I have a 5 year old boy, according to you he may join the fight against his elder brother (9) and me.
If I do so, I'll consider house-ruling out all cards, and find another way to spend energy. Or maybe removing energy itself, as it involves long term planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had pretty much the same experience with my 6 year old. While he has played his uncle's copy of King of Tokyo, he was able to pretty easily understand King of New York, and LOVES to play it with me. He's able to read the cards and understand what they offer(sometimes with a little assistance), and understands that he may have to save up energy to get the cards that he really wants. He did this last game, actually.

I picked up the Power Up expansion a couple of weeks ago, and he's SUPER excited that he gets to play with Mega Shark now, he's also been asking me to add in the Power Up cards, which I may do on our next play to mix things up a bit.

One criticism I always hear about New York vs. Tokyo is that New York adds unnecessary complication, however I don't think I agree with this statement. I think New York adds to Tokyo without really making it (much) more complicated. And the additions (to me) make for a better game. The point system is better, and the buildings/military units add something else to do on your turn, an alternate path to victory, and an additional point of tension. Also, what small boy DOESN'T want to be a giant monster destroying things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.