Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vault 84 - Card 80 question (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudiger Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this encounter says that the person on the vault 84 space with the most endorsements (previous successfully completed vault 84 encounter cards that are kept) gets the 2 agenda cards. the person with the least gets 3 damage and moves one space. What happens if only one person is on the space does he get both?
receiving only the first one makes sense. but what if that person has no endorsement cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I saw this card last night while playing... I believe there is a result for 'ties' on that card as well, which might be what would apply in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was really sloppy on FFGs part. The same thing happened to us this evening. My friend was the only one there, and through as series of bad rolls ended up with no cards, so we didn't know what the heck an endorsement was when he hit card 80. Do we vote? Do we roll? We turned to BGG for help and found that endorsements are indeed on the cards. We just don't like to read stuff we didn't pass/fail. Anyway, then this issue came up. Does 0 endorsements mean he got the lowest? Tied? I wouldn't think he would win with 0 endorsements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with that quest design either.

For lack of a better solution, I'd say (a) you can't get the reward without at least one endorsement, and (b) you don't suffer the penalty if you gained the reward.

But the whole quest is very sloppily executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berends
Australia
Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Went through four cards. Got no endorsments. Was not sure what to do, ended up taking the damage as that was my best guess at what to do. Here now trying to determine if i played it incorrectly before my next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Atlanta!
badge
United!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat Dolan wrote:
I saw this card last night while playing... I believe there is a result for 'ties' on that card as well, which might be what would apply in this case.

I played this solo, and I went with the tie result. Seemed the most fair result. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 1+ endorsements you win

0 endorsements you apply the lose result.

Ties should only be used with multiple players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this quest was kind of crap. Playing solo so I only added one card . Didn't have the caps to donate so I didn't get an endorsement . Guess what , you auto lose the next encounter , get your ass beat , and it was basically a waste of time and completely random.

I do like this game , but it has its frustrating parts. Needs a FAQ badly for all the little things like this .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouthdeepone wrote:
Yeah, this quest was kind of crap. Playing solo so I only added one card . Didn't have the caps to donate so I didn't get an endorsement . Guess what , you auto lose the next encounter , get your ass beat , and it was basically a waste of time and completely random.

I do like this game , but it has its frustrating parts. Needs a FAQ badly for all the little things like this .

But keep in mind, that scenario only occurs once. Now that you know how it works, you can manage it. Especially solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all.
You add random cards so you won't know what one out of like 7 you'll get. Absolutely no way to plan for that.
That whole quest is silly. Playing solo you get one chance with no way to prepare to either succeed or botch the whole thing and it's all random.
Badly done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leacy
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Against what everyone else has said, this has been my favorite quest so far.

It's not broken or badly designed.

Think about a real vote like an election, if you don't get endorsed then you are less likely to win, ergo, if you don't get an endorsement you loose the quest and are booted from the Vault.

This all makes sense when you read the flavor text for the quest (won't detail it here)

Ben - There are other ways to get endorsements then donating caps, and if your worried about botching the quest, do some other stuff to get loot, etc so you are geared up not to botch it would make the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turcan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you follow the rules, I definitely think it goes against the flavour of the quest. Would be great if we could get some help here with what we're supposed to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raine O'Shae
msg tools
mb
We had this come up last night. I just went with both results at the same time. Since I was the only one to ever encounter the vault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ryg
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I went with the win. What I found to be nonsensical was the fact that I had spent 3 turns in a vault but enemy were moving onto the sector which means I’d have to deal with them. With no rules clarity on that I house ruled that good standing with a vault turns it into a safe haven.
Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigRyg wrote:
I went with the win. What I found to be nonsensical was the fact that I had spent 3 turns in a vault but enemy were moving onto the sector which means I’d have to deal with them. With no rules clarity on that I house ruled that good standing with a vault turns it into a safe haven.
Thoughts?
No rules clarity? Monsters move towards you, you have to deal with them, same as anywhere else. Not sure what tripped you up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just chiming in that I had this last night during my solo game.

A few things went through my head on it.

1. The rules state that, if you're testing against another player, you assume they have a result of 3. Given the nature of the encounter, I assumed that this did NOT apply.

2. You're required to mix those what, 7-10 cards together? And as a solo player, you only add 1. Hell, even with more players, the number of possible endorsements is SUPER low. And in the event of 2-4 players, the card text assumes multiple players have come to Vault 84. Hmm..

3. As a result of (2), I decided to say 0 endorsements = a tie. The lose results are far too brutal and unfair in a solo game, so I decided it won't apply. In a multiplayer game, it's STILL a crap-shoot and a poorly designed quest line. There aren't enough ways to earn endorsements. BUT, at least there's a clear victor.

Love this game, but some of the weird design decisions <and the end-game> feel like a Bethesda PC release...Bugs and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

Playing solo here. I just came across Card 80. I had one endorsement, so I took the 2 agenda card reward.

And then at the bottom it says Trash. And that means I discard Card 80, and there are no longer any chances of drawing a Vault 84 card? I do remember that I discarded Cards 72-79, so maybe those are all the Vault 84, but basically I can never visit the vault or do any of the encounters there because there aren't any Vault 84 cards left?

Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Ruhkamp
msg tools
mb
The way I interpret this card is, no other survivors would indicate the most and least results seeing as a tie requires more than one to have the result.
Since the solo rules indicate that comparing against other survivors requires you to be in a settlement space.
That dictates that there are no tests against other survivors in Wasteland or Vault spaces.
It does seem like they assumed it would be understood completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Here we are months later and still no clarity from Fantasy Flight? Big surprise.

So Vault 84 just slams shut after this card, right? That's the whole point of Vault 84? Go there, get endorsements (or endorsement, singular, if you're playing solitaire), and nab the reward of two agenda cards? Then Vault 84 is over?

The real issue is whether a solitaire player without an endorsement counts as tied or fewest. My guess -- thanks for the clarification, Fantasy Flight! -- is that one person with 0 points has no comparative value (most or fewest implies something to compare against, and I'm the only player with 0 endorsements). Therefore, a tie?

Therefore, Vault 84 is a place to go for 1 or 2 agenda cards. I guess that's straightforward enough...

-Tom

EDIT: Wait a minute, I'm dumb. If that's my rationale for being tied when I have zero endorsements, it also applies to me when I have one endorsement. One person with 1 point also has no comparative value. Sheesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris bilyea
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you have 0 endorsements I would think the middle text would apply. You have or are tied for the least amount of endorsements so you take 3 damage and move 1 space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls