18 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Nekro tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luc Lievin
Belgium
flag msg tools
So I played Nekro last night to have something different from the previous and normal experiences.

I found that the Nekro lack an end game strategy and tends to lack focus.
Getting Mecatol Rex conquered so the agenda fase starts asap was a no brainer imo, but afterwards things slipped away. You got so little control over your overal strategy, if you even can have one...

Anyone else had this experience? Or did I just play badly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Cole
msg tools
In my last game the Nekro got kneecapped pretty early on. They are an aggressive race and therefore are targeted early and often.

I have never played hem but just theory crafting I think a metocol strategy coupled with protecting your home world could work. Build up a defense force on Metocol and take imperial whenever you can. Put a dock and 2 pds down on metocol and the same on your home world. Keep your big fleets here turtling. From there just build small cheap fleets and and expand without much force. Leave hexs with just one or 2 units in them. Make it difficult for others to make it to your home system. Force them to attack you, not the other way around. Your goal will be to hold metocol and on every battle kill at least one ship. Blockade with a destroyer/cruiser just to entice someone to attack you. If they do then chances are you will still get a tech.

For strategy take warfare until you get to metocol, then construction, then imperial/politics to farm VPs on MR. Also, tech is not a bad pick for nekro, it's an alternative leadership that denys the board free tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
o.O

I must be weird because I've never meandered when playing Nekro. Granted I haven't had a shot at TI4, but they don't look that different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just played my first game of TI with Nekro Virus and almost won. Here is what I learned:

1. Establish symbiotic relationships

You still need diplomacy even if you are aggressive. Try to set up a relationship where someone lets you trade a planet back and forth to gain tech. Heck, pay them for it if it helps. You want to avoid having everyone put all their effort into killing you and just keep their hate at a low boil.

Steal tech often.

2. Choose your stolen faction tech wisely

I picked Chaos Mapping and Arborec Infantry upgrade and they worked together (along with the Flagship) to make incredibly cheap and powerful infantry that could spawn anywhere and be built without control chips or space ports. It helped me gain and keep Mechatol Rex.

Boost your infantry when you can. Find broken combos between other people's faction tech. Devour. Innovate.

3. Speak up in the council

You can't vote but you can still speak your mind in the council, and probably talk people into things.

Opponents hate letting you win bets. You probably won't be able to win many, but it is a way to get insurance. People will see the Agenda Phase as a way to gang up and smash you. Expect it, and use Riders and your bet to shape the results so that no matter what happens you win.

A few times I bet on one result and put a Rider on the other so that no matter what happened I got something. That helped to insulate me against just getting hammered every agenda. Use bets as insurance and try to convince people of things, but don't get stressed out if votes dont go your way because they usually won't.

4. Exact Tribute

Don't make peace treaties or give out your ceasefire. Instead, let people pay you to leave them alone. Try to establish relative calm with your neighbors so you don't have to put too much into defense all the time.

5. Spend control chips like candy

You will get more control chips than most. Use them to build a lot, attack multiple times, and gain benefits.

Always keep a strategy token in your pool so you can gain more in the Technology phase.

6. Production is more important than influence

But owning planets is worth it on its own.

7. Be personally friendly and open to diplomacy

You're going to be opposing everyone. Remain personally polite above the table. Avoid complaining that people are ganging up on you. Bring drinks for other platers.

Offer people deals. Give out trade goods. Heck, give out trade goods to apologize when you take people's tech. Bribe people to vote your way.

You would think that the Nekro Virus would not need diplomacy as much as others, but it seems like the reverse. You need a lot of diplomatic skill to survive as a universally despised invader.

Help people against their neighbors. Offer to delay atracks so they have time to clear out expensive units. It's worth it. Say please and thank you.

But avoid giving out Antivirus because it can really backfire. Make sure you give that out only when it's crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dont normally
msg tools
Hateful Darkblack wrote:

A few times I bet on one result and put a Rider on the other so that no matter what happened I got something. That helped to insulate me against just getting hammered every agenda. Use bets as insurance and try to convince people of things, but don't get stressed out if votes dont go your way because they usually won't.

I was about to call you out for cheating but turns out this is a brilliant strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Now that the game has been out for a while, what other thoughts/strategies/tips do people have playing as the Nekro? They look like a lot of fun, but I'm concerned about the ability to translate their strengths to points. Also a more specific question: how much of an issue has it been where nobody votes on an agenda and the speaker breaks the tie, thus freezing you out of a chance to get a tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Wanka
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Just theorycrafting cause i have never played them or seen them in action.
I guess it is a valid strategy to grab technology early and often cause it slows down your opponents progress and acts as leadership.
Also when looking at the tech and analysis thereof not gaining much of the prerequisit techs does not seem that hurtful to the cause. (Only bad cause there are tons of tech related public objectives)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Nekro really needs to be open to negotiations as opposed to just springing attacks on random ships. Frequently, an opponent will be willing to let you eat a destroyer and gain his tech, as long as you can offer something commensurate in return. I'd say about half of the "preying" that Nekro has done in our games was consensual. You can usually keep this up right up until you snag someone's awesome racial tech, at which point people will get hesitant. (Basically, don't go in with the mindset that Nekro is for lone wolves; you need alliances just as much as anyone else does.)

Influence is only half as useful for you, so focus on Resources and careful management of your command tokens.

Even more than other races, you need to work directly toward completing objectives, because you're not going to get VP from agendas or (usually) promissory notes. Be sure to hold at least three secret objectives at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl S
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
pkitty wrote:
I find that Nekro really needs to be open to negotiations as opposed to just springing attacks on random ships. Frequently, an opponent will be willing to let you eat a destroyer and gain his tech, as long as you can offer something commensurate in return. I'd say about half of the "preying" that Nekro has done in our games was consensual.

Agreed. I think the Nekro is really hindered by the meta in many games, as they are perceived to be necessarily an aggressive race that must be kept in check lest they become overpowered. It's imperative to reassure the rest of the table that this is not the case. Also, be mindful of your combat losses. Picking off a lonely destroyer is good, but even in a medium-size fleet battle you could lose 4-6 resources worth of ships, which leaves you no better than any other race in terms of tech cost. Copying tech should be a cherry on top, not the reason you attack (unless you're gunning for a tech objective).

The outcome prediction ability is useful, but you have to be crafty with it. If your table has Nekrophobia, predict the result you don't want so that they'll vote the opposite way. If your neighbour wants to be on good terms, tell them that as long as you can get techs from them through politics you won't attack them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Nekros a few days ago (Report here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1942005/hacan-has-trade-goo... ), I can agree on the things said so far, in particularly Hateful Darkblack.

- don‘t attack your neighbours „for the lulz“. This sours relationships. Try to stay on their good side, and if you‘re lucky, they‘ll agree to sacrifice a Destroyer or two. If you compensate them, of course; but note that this is a rather costly affair, also for them: they not only lose a ship, but also a command counter needed to bring that ship into an empty system.

- Also, note that you do not need to follow the tech tree. No need to snatch tech you don‘t need/want - survive the early rounds by being nice, and instead grab what you want later on. A single raid on a Universities outpost late to mid game could give you two techs if you manage to invade a planet - double that if the Hylar try to take it back and you manage to kill a unit in both space combat and invasion! If those techs are Carrier II, Warsun or similar high performance techs, that is far better than needling your opponents for low grade tech every turn. Make it count! Take a shot for the big haul! Macciavelli comes to mind: if you hurt someone, hurt them bad once, instead of a little bit every turn.

- Grab Technology as often as possible. Even if you can‘t use it, it - for you - is just as good as Initiative/Leadership. And since the secondary of Leadership does not carry a Strategy Token cost, you can still execute that as well - but you deny a player a free tech. Always remember - the more expensive Tech is for other players, the more unwilling they are to lose a tech to you! People hate going into combat with you, especially if they have juicy tech - that is a good defensive advantage. Also, you can use both Pirmary abilities, netting another three command counters for just six ressources - which is awesome if you want to score a token-related objective!

- if you need a target to pick on for Tech, pick someone who is NOT your neighbour, and be a nuisance instead of an existential threat (but see above - better to take what you need in one raid than needlessly torment people). Cruisers and destroyers make excellent harassment units, and if you load Ground Forces on Cruisers, you might even kill an enemy ground force, scoring extra tech! But see tip number one - don‘t do it for the lulz. Have a plan!

- Strangely enough, Destroyer II seems to be a decent upgrade for Nekros, due to its anti-fighter barrage ability. Who cares if your Destroyers do not survive? However, chances of you getting it are small, and mindlessly harassing people is not so good, as said.

- Also: Nekros suck at Objectives that require Techs - but they shine when it comes to Token spending!

- Also: be nice. Biggest danger for computer systems is social engineering, and that‘s also the way for the Nekro Virus to worm its way into Mecatol Rex. Get people to trust you - they will open that E-Mail attachment titled „Sexy Space Turtles“ with innocent excitement, and wonder in the end what the hell just happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djv21 wrote:
In my last game the Nekro got kneecapped pretty early on. They are an aggressive race and therefore are targeted early and often.

I have never played hem but just theory crafting I think a metocol strategy coupled with protecting your home world could work. Build up a defense force on Metocol and take imperial whenever you can. Put a dock and 2 pds down on metocol and the same on your home world. Keep your big fleets here turtling. From there just build small cheap fleets and and expand without much force. Leave hexs with just one or 2 units in them. Make it difficult for others to make it to your home system. Force them to attack you, not the other way around. Your goal will be to hold metocol and on every battle kill at least one ship. Blockade with a destroyer/cruiser just to entice someone to attack you. If they do then chances are you will still get a tech.

For strategy take warfare until you get to metocol, then construction, then imperial/politics to farm VPs on MR. Also, tech is not a bad pick for nekro, it's an alternative leadership that denys the board free tech.

Most of what is described here is very good strategy, but untenable if you are not a singular powerhoue, regardless of faction. Nekro is not particurlarly good at it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
Typically you want to be nice and polite to your neighbors, trade, deal, and make them aware that you need to attack people for tech, unfortunately. If you do make a big swing at an opponents real fleet, you need to let the board know why you did it. Hopefully, it was someone ahead and just as dangerous as you. Politics is a good pick for Nekro, allows you to be Speaker and affect a vote.

Do not forget the objectives. You want to be pursuing them above all. Do not caught up in building some dream tech combo, it won't happen. I don't know what idiots actually researched Letani II and Chaos Mapping in the Nekro game report above. Those are both 'non-essential' techs for those respective races that benefit Nekro hugely.

You can't control whether the game will vomit out all tech agendas or not - so Nekro is a pretty focused Mecatol race if you want to win because you royally suck at getting tech objectives easily. Owning Mecatol also incentives people to come to you, which means some 'free' tech mid-game you can convert to a tech objective. You need to abuse your flagship to defend either your HS or Mecatol by the time you are approaching point 7 or so. It is unpenetrable unless you get 'cheesed' by a Yin flagship/fuck-huge deathball, Exotrireme II, or Dimensional Slicers.

I have only seen Nekro win early-mid, when only 0, 1, or 2 Stage II objectives are out. You want to people to turn against you near match point, and realize they can't stop you because you have your flagship in the right spot with 15+ ground forces. They tend to get meta'd against, *especially* mid-game when people are sick of your shit, even if it was as nice as can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
With 3 games of TI3 Nekro & 1 game of TI4 Nekro under my belt, I still don't understand how one plays the Nekro peacefully or aggressively successfully.

To play them "peacefully", someone has to actually agree to trade with you. If your neighbor is feeding you the techs you want (whether you compensate them or not), the table feels as though you should both be punished.

Playing them "aggressively", your neighbors won't get mobility techs. Without mobility techs, you won't be able to bring infantry or copy multiple techs per activation or take planets. Instead, they can go hard on PDS. Not only are they techs the Nekro don't want, they keep the Nekro from even having a chance at copying techs without losing units. If they're between Mentak & Xxcha, GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As others have said, going for Mecatol is a surefire way to gain points and it encourages others to attack you so that is one option that is always open to the Nekro. The other thing that the Nekro have going for them is that they are the undisputed champion of the Command Counter economy: you can and should starve people out of Leadership at least once or twice during the game (though don't overdo it when CC objectives remain unclaimed). Others say you should take Technology, but why would you limit the amount of techs you can steal? Taking Leadership gives you much more control over how others play the game and you can probably encourage them to give you concessions in order to play it and if they don't they'll probably have to play Technology before you play Leadership in which case you'll have more CCs to spend to stall them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Destefanis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
publisher
Unastheslayer wrote:
Others say you should take Technology, but why would you limit the amount of techs you can steal? Taking Leadership gives you much more control over how others play the game and you can probably encourage them to give you concessions in order to play it and if they don't they'll probably have to play Technology before you play Leadership in which case you'll have more CCs to spend to stall them out.

This.
I didn't play often the Nekro in TI3, but I did once yesterday with TI4 (since they're unique and I wanted them played on the table).
It's true that Technology is like Leadership but you're pissing people off because they'll know you picked it to starve them off.
While letting them take it is great:
- you get +2CC (you need to use 1 to get the 3CC) for 4 resources (cheap)
- all your opponents get technologies, increasing your odds of getting what you want (and also technologies objectives)

Btw, I had no real issues doing the technologies objectives in my game, even though most people tried to prevent me (sometimes with success) copying tech. That happens when you let people take the Technology card (ok, it was a 6 player game too).

As for the rest, my experience with the Nekro has always been "pick your fights" and "do not attack just for the fun".
When you do, do it while damaging the less possible OR hitting BIG. Both times, it's way better if you have a reason for doing that (like an objective), so that people don't see this attack as a "you're doing it to steal this for me!!!" but as if they were facing any other opponent.

Nekro has a strong advantage in the CC department, and the fact that they can copy ANY single tech easily (without prerequisites).

Also, the Racial promissory note doesn't prevent you from copying techs during the AGENDA phase. So while it is perceived as a strong promissory note to the player you're giving it, it's actually not so strong (but it can help you cement a happy borders with someone you don't want to deal with).

Predicting outcomes in voting is sometimes very difficult (especially if it is "elect a planet" where multiple could be chosen). However, my advice as Nekro is be just funny and impartial when speaking on the Agenda (when they as "how many votes do you have ?" around the table, answer happily and proudly "ZERO!!!") so that people don't see you as a threat. Sure, they won't want you to copy a tech, but usually, you can counter with "it's just a tech", especially if the alternative is giving an advantage to someone ahead of you in VP.
A Tech, basically, is not a VP.
So it can happen more often than not.

I never had to "compensate" an attack to someone, but someone advised that, and it is a sound policy. Especially if no one is doing it (so it makes your "gift" even more important).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
Lol, you people are weird. Does it matter if people get mad with nekro taking tech?

I will take tech and starve the other players if they refuse to negotiate for tech.

I have had games where the entire table abstains from voting and have speaker choose just to deny one tech.

If people don't want the nekro to peacefully acquire tech, fine. But don't get pissy if they decide to eff them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Severedeye wrote:
Lol, you people are weird. Does it matter if people get mad with nekro taking tech?

I will take tech and starve the other players if they refuse to negotiate for tech.

I have had games where the entire table abstains from voting and have speaker choose just to deny one tech.

If people don't want the nekro to peacefully acquire tech, fine. But don't get pissy if they decide to eff them.

Funny, last time we had NV at the table, he attacked everyone who had techs that he didn't. The player next to him kept researching new things - and not building up a strong enough fleet to act as deterrence. He ended up being essentially a vassal of the NV. I was Sardakk Norr, but on the other side of the table, by the time I met the NV's they were too powerful for me to do much about them and the NV's won that game through constant warfare and the threat of warfare. He played it perfectly in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
Hector131 wrote:
Severedeye wrote:

Funny, last time we had NV at the table, he attacked everyone who had techs that he didn't. The player next to him kept researching new things - and not building up a strong enough fleet to act as deterrence. He ended up being essentially a vassal of the NV. I was Sardakk Norr, but on the other side of the table, by the time I met the NV's they were too powerful for me to do much about them and the NV's won that game through constant warfare and the threat of warfare. He played it perfectly in my opinion.
Nice.

When I play them my neighbors will usually feed me tech to prevent a war. Our borders are just places where they will fly ships in and I shoot them down. The Jol nor love being my neighbors because of the trade good tech they get.

But if I can't get what I need peacefully I end up doing what your buddy did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.