Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pioneer Days» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambler and Farm Hand trigger timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lautenbach
Netherlands
Amersfoort
NL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gambler (player board) rerolls a die after selecting it. Is that before or after she triggers any equipment? And I have the same question for the Farm Hand townsfolk, who may spend one silver dollar token to change the face of a die. Anyone knows? Many thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael morizzo
United States
port jefferson station
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A die triggers immediately after it is selected, so, no it does not trigger after those instances. The only exception to that rule as far as I know is the Tinkerer character ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Torquin wrote:
The Gambler (player board) rerolls a die after selecting it. Is that before or after she triggers any equipment? And I have the same question for the Farm Hand townsfolk, who may spend one silver dollar token to change the face of a die. Anyone knows? Many thanks!

I don't have the game in front of me, but I believe both of those abilities were intended to happen AFTER triggering equipment.

I believe the Farm Hand ability replaces the normal ability to pay $3 to change a die.

I believe the Gambler ability goes right before the chance to pay $3 to change the die.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lautenbach
Netherlands
Amersfoort
NL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank gou both! I was especially unsure about the Gambler’s ability based on how it was worded, so this helps!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Torquin wrote:
The Gambler (player board) rerolls a die after selecting it. Is that before or after she triggers any equipment? And I have the same question for the Farm Hand townsfolk, who may spend one silver dollar token to change the face of a die. Anyone knows? Many thanks!

I don't have the game in front of me, but I believe both of those abilities were intended to happen AFTER triggering equipment.

I believe the Farm Hand ability replaces the normal ability to pay $3 to change a die.

I believe the Gambler ability goes right before the chance to pay $3 to change the die.


We had a Gambler timing question come up in a game yesterday. We ruled it that the Gambler changed before the die was triggered, because in the Tracker's case, it explicitly says that the power comes in AFTER the triggering happens, when the wording for Gambler does not specify this. (See adjacent characters in pic below)

Is that just a lack of unified descriptions for two similarly timed powers, or is the Gambler meant to reroll before the trigger?

Thanks!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
We had a Gambler timing question come up in a game yesterday. We ruled it that the Gambler changed before the die was triggered, because in the Tracker's case, it explicitly says that the power comes in AFTER the triggering happens, when the wording for Gambler does not specify this. (See adjacent characters in pic below)

Is that just a lack of unified descriptions for two similarly timed powers, or is the Gambler meant to reroll before the trigger?

Thanks!


I may have misspoken earlier in this thread...

Reading that ability, I believe the gambler does the re-roll immediately after choosing a die, BEFORE triggering equipment. That's part of the gamble!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Reading that ability, I believe the gambler does the re-roll immediately after choosing a die, BEFORE triggering equipment. That's part of the gamble!


Thanks for the response! Yeah, that's how it seemed to us as well, but just wanted to be sure since I saw the thread when I came here to ask/look.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.