17 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: A little doubts about this ame and purchasing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
Im quite new to the board game world, and im afraid of that his game is going to be a really hard to me. What is the learning curve?

About the solo play, im playing like 95% alone now, how it is for a solo. I can see that it is more enjoable with a group of peaople.

Just want to decide if buy the game now or later on when I gain more experience and maybe form some group to paly with.

What is your experience, do you play it solo or in group? Did you find this game hard t learn ad are you making a lot of mistakes?

thnaks sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 100% Solo and I love it. Mechanically, the game is not difficult. That said, there is a lot of statistics tracking that may be overwhelming for a new gamer, unless you have experience with tabletop RPGs a la Dungeons and Dragons. I'd recommend watching some videos of gameplay or getting a demo game in somehow before making the jump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Honestly the only drawback to solo play is keeping track of the bookkeeping, but if you search around you can find ways to improve it. Things like color coding the survivor minis, using improved character and settlement sheets, or even just printing out certain charts from the rule book (severe injury tables for example), can go a long way into improving the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 99.99999% solo and the game is fantastic as stated. Bookkeeping (as in, actually keeping records of items, Resources, etc) isn’t hard for me, it’s more of remembering all the little advantages and disadvantages. Which I guess could be what people mean by bookkeeping.

Example, some weapons are “sharp”, they get an additional d10 to their damage. I forgot to add that for ten freaking years.

The basic mechanics aren’t very difficult, but there are lots of weird little edge cases and interpretation issues that result in questions. By now, I’d say almost every common question for the first 15 or so Lantern years has already been asked and can be found here by using the search function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
KD:M actually does a fairly good job of easing you into the rules (more than, lets say, Gloomhaven). The only thing you need to worry about (especially playing solo) is, as others mentioned, the book keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was new to board gaming and took the risky plunge on this game, dropping $400! I've never put together models before either. I was afraid this game would be too much work and wouldn't be worth the time.

I put together 4 starting survivors and a white lion and found out I really enjoyed the process of assembling miniatures from sprues.

Gathered 3 other friends; nobody read the rules including myself. The book walks you through a tutorial expecting that no one knows how to play. The tutorial was epic! We were laughing, screaming with excitement and devastated (but I enjoy losing as it makes the successes sweeter, IMHO).

Crazy thing was this was my 4th game purchase ever. I basically found my holy grail game. Solo is so good as well! No more debates trying to talk conservative players to go with your high risk/ high reward ideas. Although I really enjoy the co-op aspect as well.

The only problem I have now is the bar is set really high for board games, and I find I don't play other games as much as I would want. I'd rather get more time trying new strategies in KDM.

Fast forward a few hundred days to now: I'm obsessed with this game! If my house was on fire I would grab KDM, leap over flames, and cannonball out of a closed window while keeping KDM safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in doubt, never buy.
If you are sure, go for it. To me, this is the best boardgame I ever played.

Learning curve is the single aspect where this game shines. Easy tutorial, new rules are presented naturally, the initial subset of rules needed to begin is summarized in eight pages with lots of pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
And will be this game out there for a long time for a retail? Asking coz I know for example that 7th continent is selling ,,only,, through kickstarter. Maybe after year I can find somene to play with and will gain some experience, hmm? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jigglestick wrote:
The only problem I have now is the bar is set really high for board games, and I find I don't play other games as much as I would want. I'd rather get more time trying new strategies in KDM.

Better to spend $400 on a single game you like than $4000 on games you don't! thumbsup

AFAIK, Poots intends to keep KDM in print and available through his webstore. He also has Black Friday and other holiday sales. KDM is still expensive, particularly if you don't care for the miniatures side of the hobby. But those who like it, like it *very* much. You have plenty of time to do your research. Hopefully, you can actually play a few games as well.

Board Game Brawl has one of the best overviews of the 2015 version of the game, including what gaming audiences will like it. DTR also has a straightforward review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Quarmby
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
My biggest comment on solo play is 'read the cards properly'. My first play thru I pretty-much assumed the 'simplicity' of the level 1 Lion cards applied across the board - so I ignored text and wondered why people were saying the game was hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult as a newcomer to the hobby. Everything is shiny and new and you don't yet have much perspective for your preferences, relative value of games, and what purchases are good ones or are "worth it." I remember my early days and I definitely made some good purchases (an overseas copy of Planet Steam was a shining jewel) and some bad ones (which I've mostly divested myself of, though some remain as they're really just not worth much if anything).

My advice is to take it slow. $400 is the Rolls Royce of board games. No other current game comes close to that cost for just the base game. Even $100 is relatively high for a base game, though not unheard of. Take it slow. Play games. Watch videos. Read reviews. Follow lists of favorites and bests and likes and dislikes and learn. Jump in if/when you can afford it and learn from your purchases. Look for sales and try to be an informed consumer. Don't forget that there's a healthy aftermarket (Geek Market, eBay, auctions) and you can recoup some of your investment when you find a dud (because you will find them).

Honestly, this early into the hobby I don't recommend KDM. It's too expensive for a blind leap without some idea of what you prefer nor some idea of what to expect. Though if you do have $400 burning a hole in your pocket (or $325 for the sale this weekend), then by all means take that leap and yell Geronimo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning curve. Well, there's two things:

1- The rules are presented really well in the campaign. The starting gear is really simple, and it gets complex gradually. This makes learning the rules a lot less of a beast (so you can try and concentrate on how to not die).

If you've ever played a dungeon crawler or RPG with minis, you're probably fine.

2- The minis are complex and require assembly. They're beautiful works of art made for miniature hobbyists.

If you've never put together a space marine before, expect to be in a little over your head. Maybe get some advice from your local game store before you attempt the phoenix or Watcher.

That said, the minis aspect can also be done gradually between sessions.
In order to start playing you need 4 survivors and a White Lion assembled. You can assemble more survivors and monsters as you go.

(this is also an aspect of the game that appeals to miniatures hobbyists, as many of us like to take our time and paint every mini).

- And as far as costs are concerned- $100 is about standard for miniatures board games (like a dungeon crawler). They go down to about $75, and apparently top out at $400.

Without minis, games tend to get cheaper- $50 and even $30 games aren't rare.

The way I see it, there are two broad categories for board gamers. Either you love to try out new games and experience the thrill in figuring out how to manipulate new mechanics all the time. Or you like to play the hell out of games that you have- which favors games that have a lot of content and a lot of variations. Kingdom Death appeals to the second group.

Like Alan is saying- you must first know yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
But mostly, and believe me I say this just because this game costs $400, a sum which is never too be underestimated, if you have to be convinced by a game's fans to buy a game, you are probably just fearing of missing out.

I cannot guarantee that the game will stay around for a year in web store, but in your place I would take the chance.

The only reaction that justifies a $400 expense for a game is "OMG WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT! IT'S SO GORGEOUS I WANT TO MAKE SWEET LOVE WITH IT". For anything less, just wait it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mquarmby wrote:
My biggest comment on solo play is 'read the cards properly'. My first play thru I pretty-much assumed the 'simplicity' of the level 1 Lion cards applied across the board - so I ignored text and wondered why people were saying the game was hard!

And read your gear cards and character sheets and innovation cards and also your setlement shit every 10 seconds.

There are a ton of little bonus and maluses that you will forget if you play solo.
That's fine, don't despair. You'll die anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

And read your gear cards and character sheets and innovation cards and also your setlement shit every 10 seconds.

Wow, just wow. Way to be passive-aggressive.

Jokes aside, you will get good: you will learn that there are desirable outcomes, and you will remember those when they happen.

Also, you will dread the undesirable ones, and will learn to recognize them immediately. I mean, all of us remember hunt event 27 and hunt event 65, once they get it, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hehehehe,
if its gong to stick on shop, I think etter for me to wait a bit. Just now recieved a Gloomhave, will pain the minis and play it and will wait for some another discout action on KDM and if i like playing gloomhaven solo, I will g for it. I really like the nature around KDM, the horror and cruelness

Thanks for help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.