Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Chadwick
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find the answer to a question that just came up:

Our last game ended with an infection that caused a chain reaction outbreak. The last of the outbreaks was the 8th outbreak of the game - and happened in a city with a character. Does that character still get a scar?

Page 13 of the rulebook says "When a chain reaction outbreak occurs, first move the outbreaks marker forward 1 space..." and later, "If the outbreaks marker reaches the last space of the Outbreaks track, the game ends and your team has lost!"

And in the Game End description on Page 14: "Immediately when the outbreaks marker reaches the last space of the Outbreaks track"

So technically, does the game end "immediately" before the character can be scarred?

Any help is appreciated! Our character's life is depending on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
KC32 wrote:
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find the answer to a question that just came up:

Our last game ended with an infection that caused a chain reaction outbreak. The last of the outbreaks was the 8th outbreak of the game - and happened in a city with a character. Does that character still get a scar?

Page 13 of the rulebook says "When a chain reaction outbreak occurs, first move the outbreaks marker forward 1 space..." and later, "If the outbreaks marker reaches the last space of the Outbreaks track, the game ends and your team has lost!"

And in the Game End description on Page 14: "Immediately when the outbreaks marker reaches the last space of the Outbreaks track"

So technically, does the game end "immediately" before the character can be scarred?

Any help is appreciated! Our character's life is depending on it!

When the game ends, it ends immediately. I think you don't have to do the scar if the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Increase Panic Level (page 13), it reads "Increase the panic level of all cities that have an outbreak. If the game would end due to outbreaks, only increase the panic level for the first 8 outbreaks."

It would seem odd that the panic level would still increase but the scar does not occur (therefor I think it would still occur).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb

The 8th doesn't trigger any further outbreaks, but does increase the panic level and cause scars before ending the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chadwick
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:

The 8th doesn't trigger any further outbreaks, but does increase the panic level and cause scars before ending the game.

That's what I figured... and what I was afraid of!

Thanks for answering my question - and thanks for designing such great games!

Spoiler thru September:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So it's official - It's mid-September and Colonel Potter the Fifth is lost!

He had gained a second scar by making a self-sacrifice to guarantee us the win in August (which, as it turned out, his sacrifice wasn't needed)... and now, in mid-September, he found himself in Manila - the final stop of a three-city chain reaction outbreak that cost us the win!

Hopefully our brave Colonel Potter didn't suffer much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.